The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Trip #6: March 18, 1971.

Casey Jones
    Me & My Uncle
    Big Boss Man
    Bertha
    Me And Bobby McGee
    Loser
    China Cat Sunflower >
    I Know You Rider

Ain't It Crazy (The Rub)
    Playing In The Band
    Cumberland Blues

Truckin' >
    Drums >
    The Other One >
    Wharf Rat

Sugar Magnolia
    Greatest Story Ever Told >
    Johnny B. Goode
    Not Fade Away >
    Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad >
    Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) >
    Feedback

Uncle John's Band

1971 Warlocks :D
    I first listened to this show in 2015 when the box was released, I thought it was quite uneventful and never gave it a spin again until today. I like it more this time, but it's still a lesser show in my book. Neverhtless, It was quite enjoyable, particularly those segments in bold.
    Excellent warm-sounding recording by Rex Jackson, but there are several patches of unknown origin. "Goin' Down The Road..." features an abrupt cut, which is a real pity, since the performance is excellent otherwise.

2. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

I certainly don’t remember it in the moment, lol!!! I thought the first night was better, but those nights certainly weren’t bad. I like Summer ‘92 a great deal, but they were beginning to have clunkers in there...and usually more than one throwaway tune per set.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Crispy Rob, trd and Crosseyed like this.
  3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Just counting Europe Box (22), Crusher (30), Spring 90 (6), Spring Other One (8), the Mays, 1977 (10), June 76 (5), two Winterlands (6), Fillmore (3) we're at close to a hundred. Then you got 36 Dick's, 35 Dave's. So yeah probably closer to 200 than my 300 guess. But that's still amazing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Lol. I wonder if he was talking to Manasha.

trd likes this.
  5. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

Now spinning the vinyl of Saint of Circumstance - Giants Stadium 6/17/1991. I was never willing to pay $100 for an official vinyl release of a show that I’ve listened to for free for years. I broke down and bought “Saint of Circumstance ” on vinyl last week and I was stunned at the quality. I had NO idea live dead on vinyl could be THIS good! Warm, smooth, detailed, it’s all of the reasons why we love the medium. 20 minutes flows by and seems like 2 minutes! I'm now kicking myself for passing on Cornell '77 on vinyl!

laf848, ARK, adamos and 5 others like this.
  6. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I think Sunshine Daydream in 2013 is the last time a stand alone full show was released that was not part of a larger box set (someone can double check that). Do we know if they plan to do releases like that again? There used to be a bunch, and now really none at all. (To Terrapin, Buffalo, Crimson White Indigo, Nassau, etc)

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It looks like that is the last standalone CD release (which was also a CD/video release, so a little "extra"). Looks like the current model is for individual shows to be released on LP for Record Store Day:
    Grateful Dead Family Discography: One-off live archive releases

Matthew Tate and jmadad like this.
  8. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I've said this elsewhere, but I'm at the point now where I genuinely don't think the rest of the FE Sept '70 Soundboard tapes are going to show up - with that in mind, irrespective of the fact that we've all got copies of what circulates, wouldn't a DaP of what exists of this run be good???

09/18/70 - 50 min SBD segment, M&MU through We Bid You Goodnight
    09/19/70 - 71 min SBD fragment, Sugar Magnolia (excerpt) through Lovelight
    09/20/70 - 165 min SBD, whole show

You've got 1 disc of primo acoustic SBD Dead, plus another 2-3 of classic live 1970 Dead, jamming hard - what's not to like...? Please make it so, DL2.

9. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

ARK, *Zod*, notesofachord and 4 others like this.
  10. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I wish they would go back to wider retail releases rather than focusing on RSD, but I am also not a business person. Presumably they've found something that works.

ARK, frightwigwam, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  11. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I agree, but I'm no business person either. Honestly, during my Dead "wilderness years" when I wasn't paying super close attention, it was slowly accumulating those wide release single shows that nudged me back towards the bus.

12. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Last money I spent on the GD was 2014 - "Sunshine Daydream", until I picked up a couple boxes in the last month.
    (Note to self - do not order anything from Dead.net when they're in the middle of their quarterly DaP. shipping foolishness).

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

No limited edition bonus disc limbo.

Retail release please.

Zafu, hoggydoggy and frightwigwam like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you are correct. didn't the dead and rhino sign a new contract for 10 years that started in 2014? since 2014 rhino gets a retail release of something from a bigger boxset
    -wake up to find out (2014)
    -30 trips (2015)
    -red rocks (2016)
    -cornell (2017)
    -pacific northwest believe it if you need it (2018)
    -saint of circumstance (2019)

notice we haven't gotten one this year ;)

also i believe they get to release a comp every year right? they did 2 in 2017
    -best of studio (2015)
    -long strange trip soundtrack (2017)
    -smiling on a cloudy day (2017)
    -best of live (2018)
    -ready or not (2019)

15. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

What are folk's best guestimates for the setlist/song order for 23rd/27th February 1968 Eagles Auditorium - Seattle using the bonus tracks from Road Trips 2.2 and what also circulates elsewhere?

so we have this circulating

d1t01 - That's It For The Other One ->
    d1t02 - Clementine ->
    d1t03 - New Potato Caboose ->
    d1t04 - Born Cross-Eyed ->
    d1t05 - Spanish Jam//

And from Road Trips 2.2 we have the following found in a SF studio, leftovers from the Anthem sessions...

1. "Dark Star" > (Grateful Dead, Hunter) (1/23/68 Seattle, WA) – 7:45
    2. "China Cat Sunflower" > (Garcia, Hunter) (1/23/68 Seattle, WA) – 5:08
    3. "The Eleven" (Hunter, Lesh) (1/23/68 Seattle, WA) – 6:00
    4. "Turn On Your Love Light" (Scott, Malone) (1/23/68 Seattle, WA) – 12:55
    plus this on another disc

1. "Beat It on Down the Line" (Jesse Fuller) (1/23/68 Seattle, WA) – 3:38
    2. "It Hurts Me Too" (Elmore James) (1/23/68 Seattle, WA) – 4:20
    So whadyallthink? :p

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, adamos, Zafu and 3 others like this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Can I just say that Nassau 1980 remains a criminally underrated Dead release?

Carry on.

Crispy Rob, Crosseyed, mgb70 and 9 others like this.
  17. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Hmm, interesting.. so maybe a 3 disc 1976 comp, or one of the shows broken out? I think I'd prefer a "best of" approach. Does one show stand out from the 76 box? Maybe one of the Beacon shows?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1968-05-18 Marked as “Early Show” *Alligator>Caution>Feedback* excellent sequence, but SQ kind of poor. Mtn. Jam around 7:30 in Alligator. Very aggressive playing throughout.

19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't know if I posted these already or not:

1968-03-30 AUD pretty hot set, Morning Dew, Other One, **China Cat>11** again with short sort of Middle Eastern jam in between; **Lovelight** with lots of Garcia, and long mostly a capella (w/drums) passage before end; desultory Spanish Jam goes into DDHNM, which is unfortunately cut early

1968-03-31 Chopped up Lovelight, BIODTL then the band asks for request, although they don’t seem inclined to actually play any of them; finally Garcia decides it will be a “trip” to play **Dancing in the Street**, which gets a good jam going; otherwise, there is an OK Caution>Feedback>AWBYG

1968-05-xx cuts in on a rocking St. Stephen, which must be one of the first if this is really from May; Pigpen is very prominent in the mix throughout, and his organ playing is excellent, note especially the counterpoint on “The summer sun looked down on him” on the Cryptical section of **Other One**; Nice, kind of sleepy *NPC*; **Alligator>Caution** pretty hot although Alligator could be longer; lots of great Garcia on Caution!

20. ianuaditis

In my experience 'business knowledge' is all just jazz hands.

[​IMG]

It's working out for them at the moment, so they don't mess with it, but that doesn't mean they actually know what they or doing or that an alternative wouldn't work.

Shut up, don't rock the boat, and get that money.

(I can't be the only GD fan who's passed up 90% of what they've put out in the last few years because I'm annoyed at their way of doing business, especially in light of their history.)
    My first inclination is a 'set 1, set 2' kind of situation, and that Dark Star kicked it off, but it's certainly possible it came right out of Spanish Jam>[feedback.]

But they were also pretty out of tune by the end of that first long jam sequence.

Typically they'd do a few 'throwaway' numbers as warmup at the beginning of each set before getting into the jams. Sometimes at the end, but that was less common for sure.
    Have you cross-referenced with the LIA document on the dates? May sounds early for St. Stephen.

Don't skip the Mystery Reels!

IIRC that 3-30 show was recorded by Jorma placing a mic on the stage.

I had that one in my collection since forever. I can't believe how much 68 I had on cassette back in the day, I had more 68 than 77 by a good margin (which is as it should be, really.)

adamos, bzfgt, Billy_Sunday and 4 others like this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

How are you differentiating between these and the Dave's which are usually full concerts (with bonus sometimes)?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. ianuaditis

I didn't post that, but my guess is wide release vs. gimmicky limited edition hoohah.

Matthew Tate, trd and KCWhistle like this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I was mistaken before, and noticed that the Dead put out the RFK '89 release in 2017.

Two things to consider when looking back at the series of standalone releases, though:

First, part of their intended market was record stores. I.e., fans who were not subscribers to the GD email list, but who might buy a new live album if they walked into Tower Records and saw it on the rack. That market is gone now.

Secondly, most if not all of these are mixed from multi-track recordings, if I'm not mistaken. So that particular well may be getting close to dry. Dave's Picks is the series for 2-track recordings of complete shows, and most of the other releases are from runs (or tours) when they were recording live albums, and there's not a lot left that hasn't been released in some form. I don't think people are really going to get too excited for another 1989-90 release, and the previous material that was recorded in multi-track (i.e. 1980, 1974, 1971, 1969) is already pretty well-represented in their catalog.

I suppose they could start breaking out individual shows from 1980 or October of 1974, but I don't really see that happening.

adamos, Matthew Tate, trd and 2 others like this.
  24. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, giant box or NOTHING. Hoping for an announcement four years from right about now.

JoshD and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I guess you've checked this amazing audience recording out

Grateful Dead
    6-14-68 Late Show
    Fillmore East,
    New York, NY
    AUD>MC>R>R>PCM>CD>EAC>SHN
    1. Feedback--> (3:40)
    2. The Eleven--> (7:46)
    3. St. Stephen (6:54)
    4. //Alligator--> (3:28)
    5. Lovelight--> (10:54)
    6. Caution--> (24:28)
    7. Feedback (4:00)

Starting off with Feedback and the show just gets hotter from there! The Caution jam turned up on the bonus disc that came with the Fillmore West 1969 boxset but that's the only soundboard part that's turned up/been released up till now sadly