The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

6-18-74 is better, but that one is pretty good too.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm ripping Dave's Vol. 35 as I type. I'm ready for 84 because I just listened to 4/20/84.

budwhite, warewolf95, trd and 3 others like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's not as good as 2 from the vault, but that was 52 years ago.

ARK, marmalade166, warewolf95 and 4 others like this.
  4. wavethatflag

No way. You could write about how you drove to CA and met Jerry three more times, and I'd read all three versions. Your stories must be preserved for future generations. Yer like one of the O-est of the G's around here.

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Hunter's Trix all day long :)

I love a great AUD if only a poor SBD exists, but generally if a great SBD is out there I'll take that - I love the vibe of a great AUD but the music is what's important to me. The crowd noise and all that is extra icing on the cake for me. That's where matrices come in to play! If there's a good matrix (HT is ALWAYS great!!!) that'll usually be my go-to source for a show :)

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

P H A Z E

DisTorttioN.

7. wavethatflag

I'm such a deadhead--I just realized they webcasted 4/20/84 because Vol. 35 is that show. This makes the CD bonus tracks important.

8. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Isn't this possibly actually 02/19/69? I think the old deadessays.blogspot.com had a piece on both dates, but I'm in work right now & the site is blocked on my office laptop! :cry:

The later date would certainly explain the more extended jamming on those tunes AND the general level of weirdness/chanting.

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

The bo diddley night is the most unique of the run. We had good seats in the orchestra and the hells angels acted as ushers passing wine to the crowd. I politely declined having no idea what might be in there. The bo set was fun seeing the dead as his backup band. During their own sets there were a few rarities including a couple of only time played songs. It was the last American lovelight too if I remember correctly.

10. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Grateful Dead '73-mode moving along with a show that, from what I've heard and read, seeded
    the Watkins Glen Summer Jam idea. This is from RFK Stadium, June 10, 1073, disc one that
    I ripped some 15 years ago. The sound is great and the Allman Brothers play and jam with
    the Dead during the last set.

[​IMG]
    Dickey Betts, determined to out-do the Dead's wall of amps.

Crispy Rob, ARK, SJR and 13 others like this.
  11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Which both wound up in JG's solo repertoire... "How Sweet it Is" and "Are You Lonely For Me." It almost makes sense to think of the show as a Bo Diddley set, a two-song "Jerry Garcia and Friends" set (which is how the show was advertised, right?), and then the rest by the Grateful Dead.

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

and the night before weir and ronnie Montrose played mt. jam with the Allmans during their headlining set.

13. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

sourcesnotpreparedascorrectlyascouldhavebeen

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  14. US Blues

If we had proper xfer's of all the SBDs this would not be a thing.

#soundboardliberationfront

15. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

8/13/91 Grateful Dead - Cal Expo Amphitheatre, Sacramento, CA

I: Picasso Moon, Sugaree, Walkin' Blues, Candyman, Stuck Inside Of Mobile, High Time, Let It Grow

II: Foolish Heart> Saint Of Circumstance> Eyes Of The World> Drums> Space> All Along The Watchtower> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia

E: Black Muddy River

Crispy Rob, adamos, SJR and 7 others like this.
  16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Speaking of matrixes firing up the Healy Ultramix of this now. Set 2. Foolish Saint of the World. ;)

trd and Billy_Sunday like this.
  17. Billy_Sunday

Looks kinda of "short" on paper - 7 song first set, 6 song 2nd set. But the song selection itself is top notch, for the most part. I know Walkin' Blues could seem overplayed / repetitive, as well as Memphis Blues, sometimes. I was never much of a complainer about such things.... as long as the band was on the stage and I was hearing the wonderful sounds they were making, it was all good. On the Garcia side, however, we got Sugaree, Candyman, High Time, Foolish Heart, Eyes, Black Peter... and Black Muddy River. Not a clunker to be found there, no sirree Bob!

18. Billy_Sunday

Right. The Healy ultramixes are their own animal, so to speak, as far as SBD+AUD "matrix" recordings go. Since they were done in real time (with appropriate time-delay from the stage to the FOH microphones) you don't have the phasing that sometimes plagues the after-the-fact mixes.

19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yes, which is why I mentioned that
    Grateful Dead Guide: The Mystery of 6/19/68

adamos, acetboy and hoggydoggy like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Moved onto One From the Vault. Or at least the corrected FM version of that show. Hooo boy. Not even a fair comparison.

its barely even the same band.

notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

What version do you refer to, if I may inquire? (The remastered one from the CD Vault box set?)

22. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

I’m thinking of buying a copy of Winterland 73 to compliment my other 73 shows (DP 19, DP28, DP14 and RT Denver)
    However, having read the thread there seems to be loads of problems with disc skipping. It’s kind of put me off, I don’t want to have to listen to them all quickly just to check - takes the edge off
    Anyone had problems with second hand sets
    (Also, do I need this if I have those others?)
    (Or would Daves 5 trump them all?)

trd, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  23. US Blues

Yes, you need Winterland '73.

Disc skipping? I never had a problem with this particular box set. When I throw them regular frisbee style, and keep the discs fairy level, they'll skip 6 or 7 times on still water before sinking.

Never got a second-hand set so I cannot help you here.

adamos, SJR, DrLunchbox and 4 others like this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This....

gd75-08-13.fm.vernon.23661.sbeok.shnf

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Bossyman likes this.
  25. Billy_Sunday

Get it!

My copy had no issues with playback and/or ripping. I eventually passed it on to make room for other stuff....

Crispy Rob, gedsmit and Matthew Tate like this.