The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'll report back shortly.

[​IMG]

mBen989, Mad Dog, adamos and 9 others like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

tonight 1/2/70, Daves 30. Also the little bit of 1/3/70 on cd 2. i guess this is prepping me for february because most of my official february releases are from the primal dead phase. Bears choice, fillmore 2/11/69, fillmore west 1969, three from the vault, Dicks 4, Dicks 22 ,Road trips vol 2 # 2 and daves 29. only one of these releases was recorded after 1971

laf848, trd, adamos and 6 others like this.
  3. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Same. Only I did grad school there ‘04-10.

footlooseman, trd, adamos and 3 others like this.
  4. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

You can use the Trader's Little Helper program to convert .shn to .flac Trader's Little Helper

adamos likes this.
  5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It does sound good but the source changes during the show. I can't remember the point it changes. Maybe during Dancin'? Thereafter it's not quite as nice.

Thank you! It would be a surprise if September '72 were great and February-April '73 were great but somehow October-December '72 weren't. It's just laziness on my part.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes, it definitely sounds like something is missing. Of what’s here, though, is great.

Crispy Rob and beatboy1975 like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

There’s a couple of rippin’ ‘73 and ‘78 Picks in February, too, but the majority is ‘68-‘71.

Matthew Tate, BMac19 and beatboy1975 like this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'm just mad about Saffron,
    Saffron's mad about me...

9. US Blues

A Pioneering spirit this one has.

notesofachord, Matthew Tate and sami like this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

Primal Dead just makes everything else so damned lame.

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yup i'm missing them but also wouldn't have enough time to listen to everything. starting in june i'll have to go to studio albums and stuff like without a net and the so many roads box

laf848, SJR and sami like this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

And they say romance is dead...

13. US Blues

Young men filled with the vigor of life, and Bear's Medicine. Over time they traded raw energy and passion for a level of refinement and subtle interplay that stands alone in the history of music.

14. sami

sami Mono still rules

I love the refinement and subtle interplay, but that raw energy and passion requires a bit of 'detox' before proceeding with anything else. I mean, the Alligator>Drums>Jam>Caution on 2/28/69 is essentially heating my home on its own on a frigid night here at the Shore.

Daedalus, anth67, KCWhistle and 8 others like this.
  15. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I like to tread the fine line between humor, loving annoyance and romance, my friend. She likes the song at least haha.

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Y'know, all opinions welcome, but if this isn't hyperbole, what is it? If I had to listen to Jerry warble on Morning Dew like Joan Baez for time immemorial, I doubt I'd even be a member here. And that's not hyperbole. And the 4/8/72 and 4/24/72 Dark Stars are a fair bit away from lame, I would think. And that's just for starters. At least they were in tune also.

17. sami

sami Mono still rules

Love the hyperbole immediately followed by a non-hyperbole disclaimer - nice touch. Sure my comment had a bit (but just a bit, mind you) of hyperbole, but what the hell do you want from me right in the middle of that 2/28 Jam?

Listen, I love it all (well, most of it), and what you say about being in tune may be true, but damn, being out of tune sounded pretty freaking great. I love those '72 Dark Stars, but many of the '69 and '70 versions were sheer perfection, and without even taking half an hour to achieve it. Regarding Morning Dew, I've always said that is one of the songs that got better with age, peaking in the Brent years. Never had a problem with Jerry's vocals on it, though.

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Not so much in this domicile. But rock on, brother. No harm, no foul. And you know I'll always speak my mind (and vice versa), so there's that. :)

sami, US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Gettin’ your 1974 prom jams on, I see...

[​IMG]

:righton:

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I don’t understand the enthusiasm for 1980 Warfield and RCMH electric sets. The songs are short, jams almost nonexistent, and there is not especially “tight” nor mistake-free playing to compensate. Interestingly enough, all that starts to change with the shows from the last 2 months of the year and on into 1981.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks, I’ll try it out.

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I would prefer Spring '80.

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From what I've heard, yes (although there is some occasionally spacy stuff). Multitrack recording is appealing though.

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I don’t see a big box of the Dead Set/Reckoning shows as very appealing.

Beyond the extended albums already released, the RSD acoustic shows and the outtakes from CM, I’ve got enough.

The only “interesting” idea would be an A/V box with all existing video from those shows.

25. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Recommended Jam of the Day

Space > Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad

August 31, 1985
    Recorded by Eddie Mook