The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Plus, Donna was in Jerry Garcia Band for a little bit, even after being kicked out of the Dead, wasn't she?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No, she and Keith did not play any JGB shows after '78, so the 2/17/79 Oakland GD show was the last time they performed together.

3. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Okay. I don't know why I thought they hung around with Jerry for a little while after. But, I guess not.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Depending on the vintage of your CD-R there may be an upgraded source in circulation. There is a patched version of CM's most recent effort on that show, if you dig AUD patches.

budwhite, ianuaditis and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yoko was not a member of the Beatles. Yoko did not break up the Beatles. Most attacks on Yoko are factually-challenged, offensively personal and completely unrelated to her minuscule presence on actual Beatles records. By contrast, Donna jean was a member of the Grateful Dead for 7+ years and played hundreds of concerts with them, and most of the criticism directed at her is related to her musical contribution to the Grateful Dead's concerts and/or records.

I hope this helps clarify why Beatles fans might react differently to criticism of Yoko than Dead fans do to criticism of Donna.

KCWhistle, bzfgt and frightwigwam like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I can very much dig an AUD, a good one from a stadium in 73 sounds like crazy talk.

US Blues likes this.
  7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I do talk crazy on occasion, yet there is a VG AUD from the master cassettes in circulation for this date. It was used to patch the SBD. btw- My SBD source is crisp on top with that gorgeous "McIntosh driving JBLs sound" in the middle. YMMV

budwhite and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

My hats off to anyone that could lug a deck, set stands and grab a good recording at a stadium in 73. There must be some good spots but I certainly never found one myself at RFK.

I’ll keep an eye out for it.

US Blues likes this.
  9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Bill continued playing with Keith in the Healy Treece band, though. Here they are backstage at one of their shows in May 1979:

[​IMG]

And from a show in January 1980:

[​IMG]

The female vocalist is not Donna, though:

[​IMG]

There's some info about this, "the most undocumented Grateful Dead spinoff band ever," halfway down on this page:

Hooterollin' Around: March 17, 1980 Masonic Hall, Seattle, WA: Robert Hunter and The Ghosts (Lost And Found)

Finally, there's some aural evidence here:

budwhite, Jerfan13, adamos and 11 others like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There was one Garcia interview from the early 80's where he said the band still saw Donna sometimes. The Grateful Dead Family Album book from the 80's had a photo from her wedding to David McKay in 1982 or thereabouts.

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

What a grotty shirt.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I checked out 3/11/93 (Rosemont Horizon). Terrific show. Highlights includes Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower, Althea, Space, Days Between, Around & Around and Eternity. These are hot versions and the jamming is rather excellent throughout. The HOTW > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower is well-played. Jerry's voice is all 'round pretty good, and his playing's terrific. The Althea's a standout version, and the same with Little Red Rooster. Both Days Between and Liberty are fantastic. Other highlights includes So Many Roads, Iko Iko, He's Gone and The Other One. 1993's a very good year of the post-'90 era, and this show's an example of that.

Earlier in the day I checked out 12/18/73 (Curtis Hixon Convention Hall). Outstanding show. Highlights includes Dark Star, Weather Report Suite, Row Jimmy, Eyes Of The World, Bertha and Greatest Story Ever Told. The day before 12/19/73, my fave show of that year. This one hasn't caught my attention until today, which was of course a mistake. It's obvvously incredible. The Dark Star's a transcendal experience, truly stunning. The WRS is one of the best versions I've heard and the EOTW's flawless. Phil's playing during WRS are incredible. Throghout the whole show he's on fire. Bobby's great on Greatest Story and Promised Land. The Row Jimmy's a phenomenal version as well. As a whole it's a perfect second set. The first set though features highlights such as Tennessee Jed, They Love Each Other ,Jack Straw and China > Rider. Even though I still prefer the next night this is pretty much just as good of a show. I can't wait until next time I listen to it.

laf848, SJR, johnnypaddock and 9 others like this.
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Done.

I spent several hours last night and several more today on my project: Pesky's Picks.

I went through my library of Dead shows and got rid of the songs that always annoyed me:
    El Paso, Mama Tried, Mexicali, Race is On.

I'm from Texas, raised on classic country, and I just could never abide those songs with Bob singing.

I've also never been find of Bob's singing on the Chuck Berry songs, so I got rid of most of the Promised Lands that were in first or second set.

It took me about a year of listening to a lot of Dead shows to really hone in on what I disliked. I such a noob last February that I couldn't always tell who was singing lead. I had a lot of learning and listening to do. And I did it.

Now the shows are much better suited to my tastes. Heresy? Perhaps...but I recommend this to anyone else who has issues with the country stuff and/or Bob's vocals.

Pesky's Picks.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

15. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

It really took me a long time (like, years and years) to come around to Weir's vocals but it's worth the exposure therapy -- his more extroverted, crowd-pleaser personality is a great yin to Garcia's inward-focused, all-about-the-music yang. I couldn't imagine Dead shows without his songs now.

ARK, gedsmit, johnnypaddock and 5 others like this.
  16. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I'm ok with most Weir-sung songs. Just not the cowboy country ones. And "Promised Land". Don't like that.

There are some Weir songs that I love, like "Black-Throated Wind", that I wish would have been setlist staples throughout their career.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  17. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

My Light in the Attic order of One from the Vault I and II came today.

If u could take only one between the two with u to Heaven which one do you choose?

18. Did Megadeth open for the Dead and I missed it? That's Vic Rattlehead on the back. Lol.

19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

To be fair, the 4k scaled versions are probably best on those giant 65” or larger screens since the VHS-quality “warmth” would be a little too fuzzy when blown up that huge.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lille 5/13/72 - not among the top shows of the tour, but still fantastic. And the China Cat>Rider more than held its own with most of the version during the tour. Some nifty glissandos (?) from Keith on the Next Time You See Me that I'm listening to right now.

21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Very cool music, but I can’t agree with the Pitchfork reviewer’s claim that the bass player plays like Phil Lesh.

Um, no.

Wright and US Blues like this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

A little surprised you reviewed 3/11/93 without mentioning Ken Nordine. I wish I saw that show.

uzn007, Jerfan13, adamos and 3 others like this.
  23. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Count me among the interested, although Pentangle only clicked for me about six months ago, and the Trees lady has way more a Jacqui McShee voice than a Sandy Denny voice. I read this review earlier today and my interest was certainly piqued. There's a bit about Trees in the book Electric Eden, which is one of the best music books I've read in years. I highly recommend it.

Well that's just dandy. I wish things wouldn't disappear so quickly.

In Dead world, 4/22/78 (Dave's 15) is just as fantastic as I remembered, although I think I'm turning into one of those people who itches for first sets to just be over already so we can get to the good stuff. (Not that I'm ready to start skipping them!) Still, this one's worth hearing for Jack Straw, the fine solo in Peggy-O, and a set-closing Deal that I remembered being somewhat more unhinged. It's far from tame, though. Great Donna here. (I like her. I also like some of the music of Yoko Ono.)

The second set is very strong, opening with Lazy Lightning>Supplication (for which April 78 seems to have been a good month, based on my listening this week), eventually reaching Estimated>Eyes, and an AMAZING Wharf Rat -- I'm pretty sure I recall folks here singling this one out, but I had no memory of it. Yesterday's listen took care of that! This is an extremely powerful version. The Sugar Magnolia that follows is one of my favorite versions, although it always sounds better in the car than with headphones.

I'll be moving on to 4/24/78 (Dave's 7) tomorrow if I can. Feeling pretty excited about the new Dave's, whenever that might appear. I guess they're gonna let the filler be a surprise?

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Lille Playing in the Band is pretty freaking great. Better than I remembered.

budwhite, Mad Dog, Wright and 10 others like this.
  25. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Jerry Garcia/John Kahn, The Catalyst, Santa Cruz Ca. 10/16/85. Not a great recording unfortunately, still a great listen. Jerry playing a vintage Martin, JK might be on upright bass, simple and yet complicated.

budwhite, trd, johnnypaddock and 7 others like this.