The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

DiP23 just happens to be getting a reissue on 5th March courtesy of Real Gone:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dicks-Pick...keywords=dicks+picks+23&qid=1614028966&sr=8-1

Matthew Tate, Crispy Rob and Harm1985 like this.
  2. sparkmeister

Or this:

[​IMG]

3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That is a bottle of Dog!

4. sparkmeister

I’ve never heard it be referred to as that but wondered if that’s what you were referring to. Had plenty of that stuff in my yoof.

5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yep, me too. I’m originally from tha Toon!

6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

7. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I checked out 4/17/69 (Washington U.). Great show. Highlights includes Dark Star, The Other One, The Eleven, Caution and Saint Stephen > I Know It's A Sin > St. Stephen. Excellent jamming on this one, and quality vocals. The Dark Star is phenomenal. Terrific guitar playing by Garcia. The Eleven is also real nice, with Phil being the driving force. This is a show that I've been sleeping on until now which obviously was a mistake. I was quite blown away by it and I can see myself revisiting this show a lot in the near future.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This was half a laugh. It was always funny to see the mid-80's square world especially local news try to figure it all out.

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

7/16/72 was a fun day capped off with members of the allmans sitting in. That was my first show after pig stopped touring. My old friend Don was one of the hosts on morning dew. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who played it.

10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I just love this photo. And it’s surprisingly difficult to find a print of it for sale...

[​IMG]

11. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

DrLunchbox and uzn007 like this.
  13. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 2/22/73[Champaign Urbana Illinois]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Dark Star.

KCWhistle, notesofachord, SJR and 4 others like this.
  14. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

5/8/77 Cornell.

15. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

10/10/76 Day on the Green.

A Dancin' in the Streets/Wharf Rat/Dancin' sandwich shouldn't work, and yet somehow it does. This Dancin' at least rivals 5/8/77, if not surpasses it.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I taped a lot of WBAI Morning Dew material from '86 or so until I went to college in fall '88, and then whenever I was back at my parents' house. My first copies of Cornell and Buffalo '77 came that way, as well as 3/1/69 and a lot of other material... It was a great resource before I had more tape connections.

17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was a guest on the show once. It was fun.

18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Me too. And they were tea related. On reflection my posts were not particularly useful.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's not pandering, it's the perfection of arena rock. :tsk:

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Well, a Tiger jam isn't particularly useful either, but it still needs to be wherever it is.

KCWhistle, Mad Dog, Jerfan13 and 4 others like this.
  21. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Sure! 10/14/83 is a big time Scarlet Fire clocking in at just over 30 minutes - the perfect length (+1) - and features a serious workout (pun intended) from the musicians. There's an unusual intro with Brent making percussion sounds with his keys (+0), it's cool but I'd have been happy if he leaned on his B3 of course. Still it's unusual and the band is off to a great start. The Scarlet solo after the first verse - one of my favorite Jerry solos - is extended and spirited (+1). Once the transition hits and things space out I was able to keep my stride and even started getting into a trance (double bonus), with the drummers playing a high tempo and Jerry peeling off fast guitar lines it's sweet stuff that goes on a good while. Eventually though the jam peters out a bit (demerit!) causing me to lose my stride, Phil's had enough too and signals Fire rather abruptly. It's a bumpy segue (red x!) and the pace of Fire is set at a slower pace (strike 3). My legs are feeling heavy at this point but Jerry lightens them with a sublime intro and three awesome solos. Overall this is a rich feast of a Scarlet Fire that is worth repeated listening but it does struggle to keep the energy up at times and so did I! 7.0 on the stationary bike scale.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

22 February 1974- Winterland.

Recently seeded SBD with the channels corrected, a big 3 set outing by Donna and the boys to kick off the new year. Opens with the premiere of The United States Blues. Performed often during the year this was the anthem of the times, it drove Tricky Dick from the White House.

Great music at the celestial hockey rink.

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

SMH!

uzn007 likes this.
  24. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Listening to China>Rider from 7/17/89 at Alpine Valley. This version is tits. Check it out here>>>>>7/17/89

Jim Walker, uzn007, Jerfan13 and 3 others like this.
  25. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Just about to hit Scarlett Fire on disc 2 of Cornell...:agree:

KCWhistle, ARK, birdstrike and 5 others like this.