The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Based on your "custom title" 'heads know how to party in Ontario. :righton:

(Can I get Gorted for a know how to party comment?)

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Haha we do for sure, and of course the 'tea' is ok to drink!
    The title however is from a Widespread Panic song, Arleen. Just such a great way to unwind to some great jams it seems to me :cheers:

ARK and wavethatflag like this.
  3. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

I'm reading The Final Days and was trying to remember the show where Bobby references news about this. Is it on DP31?

KCWhistle likes this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

2/22/69.. Finding launch codes

5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

2/22/69.. This was one of the first complete shows I had back in the day. I know it well. Jelly sounds good.

6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's 8/6/74, if you heard on a DiP it would be that one.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll be curious to hear what you think of Woostah 10/21/83, which also starts with Brent using the steel drum sounds. I think I prefer 10/14, but the Hartford one is burned much deeper in my brain because I listened to the audience tape of that second set a ton before the soundboard was released on Dick's Picks 6, whereas I hadn't heard the Woostah version until a few years before it was released on 30 Trips. [Edit: great review, by the way. Nice descriptions, and I love your not at all subjective point system.]

ARK, US Blues, tobyd and 2 others like this.
  8. youngvinylguy

youngvinylguy Member

I have been trying to find the best version of China Cat Sunflower->I Know You Rider. I have heard many, but I have yet to find one I enjoy more than 5/19/74 (Portland Memorial Coliseum). Paris and Veneta from '72 are tied in second place for me.

KCWhistle, US Blues, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  9. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

6/26/74 from DiP 12 is one for the ages as well. Don't miss the opening jam though!

10. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

There are many great 1974 recordings that are officially released. I think the Winterland shows suffered because Bear wasn't involved and the GD movie filming s
    Trey wasn't at UVM yet. He enrolled in Fall of 1983...

ARK and US Blues like this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

2/22/69.. I can't tell you how much I like this Mountains.

adamos, US Blues, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.
  12. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

currently listening to 6/28/74 for the first time (it is weird writing the date in the American format)! let's see what the hype is about ...

13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

2/22/69.. DS.. I love how Jerry rides the lightning before entering the gonggarden.

14. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Selland Arena, Fresno Ca. 7/19/74. Masters begat Dave’s Picks #19, I believe this is a WoS production from the great LF, the PITB is one of the best I’ve experienced. Lots of patches in this copy. Second set kills it, a great Spanish Jam is followed by a great Eyes>China Doll. Prime 1974.

15. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

If forced to Pick one show in a mad dash, 6/28/74 would in all likelihood be it. Enjoy. Did I just out myself? Heck.

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, come and find out while participating: Grateful Dead best ever China Cat Sunflower> I Know You Rider tournament

That's the individual starter thread. Each matchup has its own thread. We're on match 5, I believe.

But for my money, while the 5/19/74 is excellent and the '72 versions are often very (very) good as well, the best versions are scattered throughout '74:

2/24/74: a bit on the languid side, but some very nice interplay and no rush to get anywhere anytime soon, but it's not without purpose.
    5/17/74: Faster, yet still delicate in an intense sort of way. Jerry brings it as the segue looms.
    6/16/74: A slinky version that nearly goes off of the rails thanks to Jerry and Phil being borderline insane. Contains probably my favorite "no band would ever do that on purpose because it's strictly nuts" moment from the GoGD.
    6/22/74: Just a very strong version, although the Feelin' Groovy isn't exactly their best version.
    6/26/74: Jam--> China Cat --> Jam--> China Cat and then we get a jam. At nearly 22 minutes, probably the longest version of these two and there's not a filler note.
    8/5/74: The "fasten your seatbelt" version as far as I'm concerned. Phil is ridiculous. They miss his cue to Feelin' Groovy, but circle back and get there. The Rider is comparatively meh, but Rider really wasn't the star of the show until '79.

17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Just listen to all China/Riders and you are good.

18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

2/22/69.. That's It teeters in the best possible way. Spanish Lady should be the name of a rollercoaster.

19. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

we’re actually on match 8. End of round 1! And unless all the ‘74 fans jump in, we’re about to see a stunning upset

Grateful Dead best ever China Cat Sunflower> I Know You Rider matchup 8

US Blues, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I don’t understand what date that is? ;)

21. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The more you listen to it, the more understanding will be granted to you.

bzfgt, US Blues, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

6/28/74
    12 mos. in a year. 28 mos. = 2yrs. 4 mos.
    Ergo(t) April 6, 1976

23. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

hello fellow melbournian, there's dozens of us!

US Blues, ianuaditis and SJR like this.
  24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I am well acquainted with the upside-down hippies.

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Next up: 2/22/93. After second dinner.

ianuaditis likes this.