The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Yeah, that's just not going to work for me.

Do we know how this was mastered? I presume it's cut from the high-res files used for the trunk?

2. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

What a bummer that the Europe 72 Vol.2 was so impossible to get on RSD and is now fetching nearly $300 on Discogs. I really want to drop a needle on that Star. Dave Lemieux, hear my cry!

SJR and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

Tigerpop likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

The April 8th "Dark Star" is on Steppin Out, not E72 v2. Like mcrichley said, though, I prefer not to have to get up and flip the record in the middle of a jam anyway.

5. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It was available on dead.net for quite a while.

lucan_g and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. tobyd

Amazon screwed me up!
    https://www.amazon.com/Europe-72-Vol-Wembley-England/dp/B00HFVBFUG
    Okay, okay. The fact that 4/8 Dark Star is not on vinyl at $300 is really good news. Hopefully someday the last hour of that show will turn up on vinyl. Wouldn't that be something!

7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Ouch.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

8 April 1978- Jacksonville.

Phil is out front in the mix and musically predominant at this show, and that is always a positive characteristic. :cool:

Bobby does screw up one of his vocal cues during Looks Like Rain, perhaps he hadn't practiced the song enough. :rolleyes:

The second set awaits, featuring one of the all-time classic versions of Scarlet > Fire, and later a full band Close Encounters Jam. Don't let this show slip past you, it is worth playing loud.

laf848, budwhite, ARK and 9 others like this.
  9. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I know, right?

And don't forget

Side G - Truckin'

Side J - Wharf Rat

Bring back the automatic record changer!

10. tobyd

The 4/8 Dark Star could be split, as I see it there's a definite Part 2 vibe to the last half which is just about the most transcendental music ever performed. Here's the imagined 4/8 2xLP

A) Dark Star, Part 1
    B) Dark Star, Part 2 > Sugar Magnolia >
    C) Caution
    D) One More Saturday Night + bonus Playin'

SJR and SBegonias17 like this.
  11. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

I have a record player, but it’s been in the attic since having kids. I don’t have room for a set up. These days it’s streaming from a phone through some in ceiling speakers. It gets the job done.

ARK and frightwigwam like this.
  12. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Do you have a preferred version of the Saratoga '83 show? There are several different ones out there.

Thanks.

trd, Archtop and US Blues like this.
  13. US Blues

The @Archtop signal has been ignited!

trd, SJR, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

@Archtop could probably give you more info than I. I have a version that was recorded digitally on PCM but I don't know the shnid or remember who recorded it (maybe the Oade brothers or Jim Wise?).

Archtop and Burningfool like this.
  15. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Morning listening: 10/18/74 Winterland.

A very long show that I had to pick and choose a little with since I didn't have a full four hours of listening time early this morning.

Yet another special one in that Winterland '74 run. The jams are captured on disc 3 of the Movie Soundtrack, so I was pretty familiar with them.

I love how Seastones evolved into being a "space intro" for set 2 rather than just a bunch of intermission noise. Coming out of that into a jam was very cool in every instance of it I've heard.

budwhite, ARK, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  16. US Blues

The final and most psychedelic Weather Report Suite.

budwhite, ARK, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  17. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

laf848, ARK, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Well, a 34 minute piece can't usually fit on one side.

19. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

That's right, I'd forgotten about that. It's surprising that over the next two decades they didn't bring the suite back at least once, if nothing else as a surprise. Has Bob every played the whole thing in any of his post-Dead bands?

US Blues likes this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Oh I know, which is why I'm not a fan of live Dead shows on vinyl, even though they look fantastic. It just pains me to imagine having to get up and flip a disc mid jam.

trd and frightwigwam like this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Yes. I remember seeing it at Great Woods. I think it was a Ratdog/Phil double-bill.

22. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

The bus came by and I got on....

...that’s when it all began. It honestly feels like a lifetime ago.

SJR, adamos, wavethatflag and 3 others like this.
  23. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

I’ll throw my buddy Dean Grabski into the mix. He’s got some great recordings(continued up til last year). His recording of 6/20/83 is something everyone should know. Read his taper notes and then live it!!!! IF you ever need a WOW Hall show to check out, he’s got a plethora of recordings from there. His mics permanently hang from the ceiling.

adamos and wavethatflag like this.
  24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes there are several, but most of them sound quite similar (probably a ~6.5/10 sonically). It seems that most of the tapes out there were sourced from the same tape recorded on a Nak deck, which is a fine unit, but tapes played/dubbed on non-Nak decks exhibit this "swirling" effect. Anyway, the version I recommend is on Relisten, taped by Rudy Huston and tranferred by Charlie Miller. It currently has an 8.63 rating and while others are rated more highly, I don't think they sound better. The Rudy Huston tape captures the very end of Dew where Phil plays a three note descending line (11:00-11:02) and that line is articulated most clearly on the Huston tape.

Trust me on this: No available tape will recreate what went down that night, but to simulate things during Dew, you might want to dig up the largest sledgehammer you can find and swing it like a madman at any and all structural elements of your home.

Main site: Grateful Dead

25. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

This site won't steer you wrong: Grateful Dead Listening Guide

I could really stand to explore his recommendations in greater depth, although I've played the heck out of the podcast episodes, and count those among the more influential listening I did as I started trying to get out of my comfort zone.

ARK, trd, Archtop and 8 others like this.