The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Golden Gate Park 5/7/69 Dead and the Airplane (see following post for JA)

2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

JA Golden Gate Park 5/7/69

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was there. We drove all night and then the five of us slept seated in the parking garage. Well, the woman in the hatchback of the old Subaru wasn't actually seated. The town was embroiled in the Pete Rose scandal.

4. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Not bad. thanks

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes, I've seen a few complete WRS's over the years. The first was with "The Dead" at Red Rocks, the very fact that I was hearing the opening chords of the Suite at the Rocks was completely mind blowing. The best was at a Furthur show at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, CO, 11 February 2011:

Set 2:

Weather Report Suite Prelude/Part 1 > Let It Grow, The Mountain Song > I Know You Rider > Dark Star > China Doll, Playin in the Band > Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin’s Tower E: Liberty

6. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Afternoon listening: Two from the Vault

Really primal GD isn't necessarily an everyday thing for me, but there's a lovely raw energy and innocence in what they were doing in 1968. Altamont and cocaine were still in the future...

7. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

October Frost has some nice Auds. Hell, Frost in general has some nice sounding Auds.

10/9/82:

Grateful Dead Live at Frost Amphitheatre on 1982-10-09 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

10/10/82: Grateful Dead Live at Frost Amphitheatre on 1982-10-10 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

Crispy Rob, Mad Dog, trd and 3 others like this.
  8. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

It really doesn't get better. Each side, roughly, to capacity, really not an awkward flip from start to finish. This is what I look for, and often what keeps me away from live boxes of this size. This is like tailor made, a perfect fit.

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I saw The Dead play WRS at Rosemont. I can’t say it made much of an impression. I was very excited when I recognized the prelude. The vocals were pretty bad.
    That was my first (and only) post-Garcia show until Fare Thee Well.

profusion and uzn007 like this.
  10. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

That sounds great! Do you remember who the trombone player was? I've seen George Lewis do the instrument-dismantling thing before, but I don't think he was playing with David Murray in the '90s (though I guess it's possible he joined the band for that show; he did teach at Mills in Oakland for a while).

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

You read my mind, my friend. I have the latter quad queued-up for the afternoon.

fritz7784, wavethatflag and profusion like this.
  12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

You’ve gotten a lot of good recommendations already but this site is a handy resource for aud quality: http://gdluckynumbers.org/downloadables.htm

laf848, budwhite, ARK and 3 others like this.
  13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Those Frosts are beyond the words and the performance imo. Great capture most of all.

14. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

My new muse is a family of great horned owls in the neighborhood. 3 kids. All to myself. I have decided I'm going to write a book about the creek. I think it might work.

15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Craig Harris played on the album so that would be the logical answer

Crispy Rob, hyde park and SeeDubs like this.
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Saving 78 for May, although the Jacksonville Scarlet>Fire may get a shot tonight after THE Dark Star>Sugar Bags>Caution facemelter. Or maybe before, because how do you follow that?

4/8/71 was the soundtrack for part of my work day. Pretty decent Dark Star>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA and Jerry goes nuts on GSET, but it's a touch sloppy; very similar to the Cap Theater shows in February overall. But Phil is front and center throughout. Folks in the front row had to be feeling it.

Nice lookin' joint, that Boston Music Hall. Here's a shot from April 1900.[​IMG]

17. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

I still think GMLSG by the Dead is still the best rendition of the classic blues piece."Once a Deadhead always a Deadhead".

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's the original Boston Music Hall that was home to the BSO until 1900 when Symphony Hall opened. I believe that the venue in this photo is what is now the Orpheum Theatre at One Hamilton Place. The Boston Music Hall where the GoGD played was built in the 1920s and is now known as the Wang Theater and is on Tremont Street. It was never officially called the Boston Music Hall, just The Music Hall (but obviously, being in Boston...). I mean, I think. It's all rather unnecessarily complicated for some reason.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

The Dark Star > Sugar Mags > Caution sequence from 08/04/72, is on Steppin’ Out.

Edit—damn it, @uzn007 already told ya that!

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

I was at both of those :cheers:

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

The only April ‘78 shows I have heard are the DaP’s:

#37College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA, 15/04/78 (and “filler” from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 18/04/78);
    #15Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, TN, 22/04/78;
    #7Horton Field House, Illinois State, Normal, IL, 24/04/78.

I really need to check out more April ‘78, as I dig those three Picks.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:cheers:

wavethatflag, KCWhistle and trd like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Bickershaw 72 -- Dark Star > Other One from Europe 72 v.2 vinyl.

Now that's a very enjoyable flip ... DS melts into drums... and comes back to life on the other side with Phil's thunderbass intro out of drums.

24. I was at this show. Recently picked up an airplane CD of their performance.

25. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

This came right after the monster Dead/Airplane shows with Mongo Santamaria at Winterland the previous weekend. Both the Dead and the Airplane were magnificent on the Saturday night I went.