The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Oh I undoubtedly think it would, knowing Jerry's unbiased love for the GOOD and LEGIT things in life :):)

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jerry made it a point to NOT use the incredible bully pulpit he had for anything remotely political. He understood NOT to use that power was the correct thing to do.

Think of all the performers who think what they say about world affairs actually matters more than what you or I think:(

Thank JAH for that - one of many reasons that he was a very very special person.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  3. changeling69

I never said Jerry went along with anything political.....this FILTHY word, "political", springs up everywhere where it shouldn't and destroys the REAL unison of Man on this planet. Of course Jerry was NEVER political, but in the interview he did say to the interviewer he would "give space to any thing he and the band could..." to make people aware of more things on our planet....and one of these things was the environmental issue of Hawaii.

Moth, frightwigwam and Dahabenzapple like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

You mentioned a young woman who’s views became political even if they were not intended to be. Hence my comment.

5. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

In the Dave's Picks credits, 4-2-73 has Rex listed as the recorder and 3-24-73 has both of them listed. In the DP credits, 2-26-73 & 2-28-73 has Kidd listed. In the Pacific NW box, 6-22-73 to 6-26-73 has Rex listed.

I had assumed Spring & Summer '73 was all Rex, so I'm surprised to see Kidd that much (it does appear to mostly be him for Sept-Dec '73).

budwhite and trd like this.
  6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I just got an email from Light In The Attic actually LITA huh???who is this?
    Due to manufacturer delay Two From The Vault vinyl now delayed until 8/20.

7. changeling69

Nope. Greta Thunberg WAS NOT political, just like Jerry was not political.

8. changeling69

I just hope some people here do not make this fine thread political.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Ashes ashes all fall down

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

As you probably know, those were the two from the box that have always been really well known/circulated.

profusion and Rose River Bear like this.
  11. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Watching View From the Vault IV right now, and I believe it's time to dig into 1987. I've avoided that year to this point (foolishly, it seems), outside of official releases. Recommendations are most appreciated :help:

12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

5/21/74 as well. I'd opine that 5/21 is as well known/circulated as 5/19 due to the all-time length PITB. I know I got 5/21 well before 5/19.

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You have done just that in other threads. Please stop it here.

budwhite, US Blues and Dahabenzapple like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Some favorites:

4/4/87 Worcester
    6/20/87 Greek
    6/30/87 Toronto
    7/2/87 Rochester
    7/8/87 Roanoke
    8/20/87 Park City
    8/23/87 Angel's Camp
    9/18/87 MSG
    9/19/87 MSG
    9/22/87 Spectrum

The Providence run in September also has a good rep, but I don't think I've ever heard any of it.

rockinlazys, uzn007, SJR and 5 others like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Fair enough. That one never came my way back when I was trading, but I definitely was aware of that PITB's reputation long before the box.

16. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Perfect, many thanks :tiphat:

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Looking forward to the day I can buy a summer home and sing we should all leave well enough alone. Uh oh, my pants are down . . .

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

The chromatic slur play a big part in Jerry's solos. "Wrong" notes quickly voiced between "right" notes. As you said, it is only a wrong note if you stop. The amazing thing about Jerry IMO, is that he used all types of approaches to "target" notes or notes in the chords at the end of lines. He used the chromatic approach at times but he also used ascending and descending diatonic approaches up and down scalar notes.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

More slurring once he begins playing the Tiger. Although it was not just about the guitar.

Rose River Bear and Burningfool like this.
  20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

You should.

I was there. It was a great 3 nights beginning to end. Listen to 9/9/87 at minimum.

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

You are right. I wonder if that had to do with the guitar and tone itself or just the time period and his desire to change his approach?

US Blues likes this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jerry said the Tiger fit his hands really well, and in combination with the opiates it allowed him a certain amount of leeway (or sloppiness) in his playing.

Matthew Tate and trd like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Interesting.
    From pictures I have seen, it looked like Tiger had a standard width neck but it was fairly thin and a "C" shape.

uzn007, WaterLemon, Tigerpop and 2 others like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember Gans playing the 5/19/74 Truckin' jam on the Dead Hour in 1993, and the 5/21/74 Playin' in 1994. I taped both of those. I got the full 5/19 show around that time but never tracked down 5/21.

6/22/73 circulated from the Betty storage locker auction, but it was not the complete show (cuts somewhere early in The Other One I think). Some copies had the rest from an audience source.

Zafu, Jerfan13, trd and 5 others like this.
  25. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 5/17/78[Uptown Theater Chicago]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Halfstep Mississippi Uptown Toodeloo.