The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The Estimated>Eyes from 10/29/77 is really special.
    JGB, Keystone Berkeley, 8/7/77. Great sound, Maria Muldaur joins the second set, or someone who sounds like her. Godcheaux’s true milieu.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's her according to this source:

Jerry Garcia's Middle Finger: With and Without Maria: JGB at Keystone, August 6-7, 1977

Apparently, she sat in occasionally before joining the band full time in Fall '77 through at least a lot of '78. I didn't know about those earlier guest spots until now.

3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification! I knew it had to be her, the list of ladies who can sing like that is short.
    Having said what I did about KG, he’s no Merl or Melvin for me; competent but unimaginative by then.

trd likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

getting close to the end of spring so tonight, SPRING 1990 So Glad You Made It . this 2 cd was a really special release imo

laf848, ARK, KCWhistle and 8 others like this.
  5. Frank's Tower

Frank's Tower Well-Known Member

How many shows had a Help Knot Tower and a Scarlet Fire? I was at one - 6/15/90 Shoreline. Here's the list I came up with:
    4/23/77, 6/15/90, 10/31/90, 10/31/91, 5/31/92, 4/2/93, 10/1/94, 2/24/95, and 5/26/95. That's more than I thought there would be, aided by the transition to often placing HSF into the first set in the 90s.

4/29/77 and 10/14/89 came close, with HSF and Scarlet. Pre-fire ones with this pairing were frequent of course: 6/3/76, 6/17/76, 6/21/76, 6/24/76, 8/4/76, 10/1/76, 10/9/76, and 12/31/76.

I want a show with HSF, SF, Shakedown, and Feel Like A Stranger.

uzn007, KCWhistle, adamos and 3 others like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Jerry would have gone on strike.

ARK likes this.
  7. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

Help knot tower :crazy::laughup:

DrLunchbox likes this.
  8. Frank's Tower

4/22/83, 6/28/83, 7/4/84, 12/8/89, 10/24/90 had HSF and Feel Like A Stranger.
    4/26/83 and 6/24/83 come at you with a bag full of gold - HSF and Shakedown Street! 6/24/83 comes at you with Deal and Morning Dew as well. Dane County for the win!

rockinlazys, uzn007, ARK and 3 others like this.
  9. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Have you guys ever posted in another thread thinking it was this one? Well, I just did... lol

Anyway, gotta love 70' .... at least I certainly do !

Cheers ya all

Zafu

uzn007, Billy_Sunday, KeninDC and 6 others like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Way>Not>To

rockinlazys, ARK, DrLunchbox and 5 others like this.
  11. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Possibly the best footage I've ever seen. Picks up around the 3;15 mark. OMG, this is great .....

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

There's also 9/20/91 with Help>Knot>Fire.

I also saw 6/15/90..........really good show. Maybe the longest I saw as well.

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

>Go>Home

Jerfan13, KCWhistle, adamos and 3 others like this.
  14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Just listened to Stella Blue from Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA, 18/05/77*, for I think, the first time—whoa, that was incredible!

This unfurls in a beautifully slow and patient, almost meditative way—building up to an unbelievably epic outro solo so full of emotional release it could make one weep. Glorious.

*on 30 Days of Dead 2020.

15. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

4/17/68 - Washington U - Download Series, Volume 12. This is kind of an unusual "Dark Star" -- a lot of it reminds me of Coltrane and Rashied Ali's drum duets, or Sonny Rollins's piano-less trios -- perhaps it's down to the mix (or the fact that I'm listening half asleep at 6:30 in the morning), but so much of this version feels like a communicative exercise between Jerry and the drummers, with a lot of air and space in the arrangement. You can hear the rest of the band providing subtle flourishes in the background, but there is less surround-sound ambience than the other '69 versions I'm familiar with. A truly rocking "St. Stephen" follows.

16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Uh oh, you’ve been infected with @bzfgt syndrome! ;)

A unique take on the Live/Dead Dark Star > sequence with I Know It’s A Sin sandwiched in between.

ARK, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  17. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

wow, this Let it Grow from 11/4/1977

rockinlazys, uzn007, SJR and 6 others like this.
  18. Frank's Tower

What, you think it's a silly name for that trio?

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  19. Frank's Tower

Thanks for the tip on 9/20/91.

6/16/90 was an epic follow up to 6/15/90. I regret not sticking around for 6/17/90 for the Shakedown Street and Eyes.

ARK, Crispy Rob and Billy_Sunday like this.
  20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Dear, oh dear. I had forgotten that De Kalb has now been released. My memory for these things used to be watertight. I am forgetting a lot more these days.\\

NYE '76 didn't have a Franklin's...right?

I consider the TIFTOO in that show to be one of the best of '69. If only they'd been able to complete the Caution that they started playing.

Speaking of De Kalb, I could probably take De Kalb and Colgate as the only shows from that year that I listen to and be happy. That's not to say that there isn't a tonne of other great music but those two shows exhibit that late '77/early '78 return of fire and Wolf-ness more than any other I have heard from the final part of '77.

uzn007, adamos, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  21. Frank's Tower

Thanks for catching that.

22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

As I recall it's a long version of Slipknot that turns into NFA and Morning Dew - I'll take those instead of Franklin's!

23. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

most of the 1st set (and encore) from 11/2/77 is on disc 3 of the Colgate release, and then a bit more of set 1 appears on Dick's 34. Do we have a really good copy of the rest of the show "out there" that people recommend? As I'm going through the winter 77/78 tour now, I'm making some CDs of complete shows that were Frankensteined on releases.

I made up 10/11/77 yesterday from RT 1.2, bonus, and Dick's 29 plus the Charlie Miller version of unreleased tracks. Came out great. I'd like to do the same now for 11/2, but not seeing a great copy circulating to fill in the unreleased 8 songs

24. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I did the same a few years ago...

There are a couple of "matrix" sources, but SHNid 14743 is the only SBD in circ.=
    http://db.etree.org/shn/14743

Lineage is spotty, but understandable considering it's 18 years old, sounds fine though. Happy to upload whatever you need and share on Dropbox.

jmadad and US Blues like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

18 May 1972- Munich.

I had set 2 on tape 40 years ago, a long time favorite Dark Star, and I love the Sittin' On Top Of The World from this show.