The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No, it wasn’t. This is its first official release. (Yet If the Shoe Fits is still waiting in the wings like a wallflower.)

2. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Bob Weir is "The Voice of Sound." Don't argue with him.

3. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Nice review! (As usual). IWT, this was my first visit to Red Rocks. If you’re still in the mood for 82, the next two nights are also very good, though I always thought 7/27 was the best of this 3-night run, for all the reasons you elaborated on. If you check out the other two shows don’t miss, on 7/28, the St. Stephen tease before NFA (the crowd begins going bonkers before Jerry realizes what he’s riffing on and quickly shifts into Not Fade). And 7/29 has a plus second set too, starting out with an always welcome Cold Rain, and featuring only the second or third Crazy Fingers since 76 (it had only been dusted off about a week before these RR shows and even in the pre-internet age we were aware of the bust out and were on the prowl for our ears to hear that graceful tune).

Crispy Rob, frightwigwam, trd and 9 others like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

track11 and notesofachord like this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes, I thought it was great. I also really enjoyed that Providence ‘87 show you recommended, too, over the weekend. I’m not sure if you saw my post on that one?

Both shows featured fantastic, unique TOO’s.

Crispy Rob and uzn007 like this.
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I don’t think I’ve heard that one, either!

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nice! (And thanks).

I’ll check those highlights out :righton:

WaterLemon likes this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Terrapin Station — released 27 July, 1977.

“Inspiration move me brightly” . . .

[​IMG]
    1977 Arista ‎– AL 7001

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

12 April 1983- Broome County Arena, Binghamton :agree:

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

You should prefer to put cement in your ears than listen to “If The Shoe Fits.”

Their worst song.

bzfgt, SJR and US Blues like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

27 July 1973- Watkin's Glen Motor Speedway.

Soundcheck. Birdsong. Jam...

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laugh:

LandHorses likes this.
  13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

How many bands have legendary sound checks?

SJR, Crispy Rob, frightwigwam and 5 others like this.
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

10.27.79, Cape Cod Coliseum, South Yarmouth, MA

Man, this show is excellent all around. Nice first set, everything played really well despite some vocal mistakes. I love the mix, and Brent in particular sounds great.

II: Dancin' > Franklin's... Holy disco funk, Batman. This is some serious funk right here, all around with everyone on stage getting into the party. Damn. Then a delicate He's Gone with a gorgeous Caution jam into The Other One. Whew. This was really something else. Already looking forward to the next night!!

[​IMG]

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Fun show completely screwed up by the way it has been rearranged because "we can't put cover songs on bonus discs"...even though there are bonus discs all over the place with cover songs.

ianuaditis and scribbs like this.
  16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yes, saw that. Good review.

SJR likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1979-10-27 Cape Cod (30T)

This is a great show.

I: Excellent Jack Straw;Candyman is a major highlight; not all of the first set goes so smoothly. On Big River, Jerry’s guitar breaks for first part of his last solo; Minglewood is hot until Weir doesn’t let Garcia play the last solo, then sings “T right here in New York City”; very hot one-solo Deal.

Dancin’ ITS and Franklin are titanic; then a major He’s Gone with hefty end jam into sort of short but fantastic Other One; NFA and Black Peter are very good versions.

notesofachord, sami, adamos and 11 others like this.
  19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The last two songs of the second set pretty much sum up this pick for me :shake:

20. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

21. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

That show (sound check) is great. I love it. Just as good as a full audience show. And if I remember correctly, I think there was some fans already gathering and camping out, so you could rightfully say it was a "show," in a sense. I haven't listen to it in a while, but when I finish my run through Dave's Picks, I may have to give it another listen.

US Blues likes this.
  22. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

Listening to 6/26/87 Hartford ...

...and so far, I love the energy. I'm listening to one of the Miller ultramatrix transfers on archive. I'm not sure how the official release sounds in comparison, but I see what people say about the mix being less than perfect (a touch muddy, to my ears, low on treble). The sound is good enough that any imperfection isn't getting in the way of my enjoyment of it. So far, an excellent Bird Song, very high energy China > Rider and a surprisingly good Looks Like Rain, which is a song that can go either way, for me.

The crowd and band energy on this one so far, is just off the charts. The band sounds really, really good here; mostrous, big, energetic and really good.

Karsten, Crispy Rob, SJR and 4 others like this.
  23. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Speaking of records I tend to revisit on specific days of the year... I had just seen him at the Missouri State Fair a month earlier and the date was already stamped on my brain, so of course I went and bought it right away. Good excuse to escape the TV for half an hour.

I finished up 5/24/72 yesterday, typical strong E72 show. The Lovelight>The Stranger at the close of the second set was surprising -- not sure I'd heard the latter not as a standalone before. Fantastic Lovelight, and Pigpen's last. As for truly minor highlights, I thought this Rockin' Pneumonia was way better than the one on 5/23.

I also started 5/25/72 yesterday. This is an odd show. Way more flubs (both vocal and instrumental) than usual for this tour, and while they certainly mar some of the performances, other times they barely make a dent. Brokedown Palace, for example, transcends its screwups. Also a red-hot Ramble on Rose. Had to pause last night as Uncle John's Band was starting, but I'm looking forward to hearing how this show might come together during the back half.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From what I've read, yes, it was basically a short show, as the three bands all played a bit for the many fans who had arrived early.

As for the show the next day for a record setting crowd, it seems that none of the bands were eager to release recordings from it. The Band put out a CD in the 90's (that I have read was prepared around 1974, but cancelled) but their fans found that only a few songs were actually from Watkins Glen (one was from Woodstock!). A few bits of the Allmans set have appeared in various places starting with their Wipe The Windows.. live double album in the mid 70's. From that I'd assume that they had a multitrack recording that presumably ran for the Dead as well, but the Dead's archivists have never mentioned it as far as I know.

The bargain bin Pickwick label put out an album to try to fill that gap. Details here: From The Stacks: Kings Road Plays The Heavy Sounds Of The Watkins Glen Concert

bzfgt and birdstrike like this.
  25. Happy Watkins Glen Summer Jam time!

[​IMG]

sami, jpgarry1, ARK and 10 others like this.