The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That’s why I’d guessed it was the least common. It wasn’t all that common from ‘87-95 when I was seeing shows or in ‘85-86 which were the other 80s years that were really well represented in my tape collection in the cassette days.

KCWhistle, LandHorses and trd like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Happy Birthday Jerry. Thank you for all the beautiful music you created. :love:

3. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

This morning's food prep listening was the big second set jam from 11/14/73 San Diego (from the 30 Trips box):

Truckin>TOO>Big River>TOO>Eyes>TOO>Wharf Rat

When I went through the 30 Trips box, I recall not being too impressed with the '73 show. I think it suffered from being between really great '72 and '74 shows because that segment is killer. Maybe not quite as good as the segment from a week later in Denver that used PITB to stitch it all together, but still the kind of magic I'm looking for in 70 minutes of continuous music.

4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I celebrated Jerry's birthday 48 years ago at roosevelt stadium. And a fine day it was!

budwhite, Revolver, ARK and 20 others like this.
  5. Jerbobby

Jerbobby Well-Known Member

In need of a few of the BEST 80's shows (in your opinion ofc.); always a few years i have skipped listening throughout my time.

6. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

8/19/89

ARK, uzn007 and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

…and the High Holy Week begins. I’m always excited about chili dogs and milkshakes!!!

8. Yeah, had a couple friends who attended and they always said it was a great day.

ARK, Zafu, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  9. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

That was kind of a big deal gig. To say the least.

ARK, KCWhistle, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  10. davmar77

At the time it was just another show. Of course having the band opening was a huge plus. I attended both nights.

11. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

^^ I remember that, the library had it when I was a kid in the 80's. I think it had a photo of the Dead from the Fillmore East '71 when TC sat in.

13. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Mentioned this show here a couple of weeks ago and didn’t get much traction, but I’m glad to see it getting some love now.

I wish a better source circulated (Is it in the vault? It deserves to be released) but at least the DS>El Paso>Eyes>Dew heart of the show circulates in pretty high quality. “Relentless” was the word I sued to describe it.

Do yourself a favor, folks, and let your ears and mind soak in it today. You’re welcome.

14. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

My wife detests cilantro and I’ve never understood why. Maybe this explains it.

US Blues, Guy Smiley and bzfgt like this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

7/1/85 Merriweather

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“used,” not “sued.”

But I would sue anyone who disgreed.

17. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Guys, it's called CORIANDER & it's wonderful stuff, especially in Indian cuisine. ;):D

budwhite, KCWhistle, Quill and 7 others like this.
  18. davmar77

In the USA, the seeds are referred to as coriander and the leaf as cilantro. Aka Chinese parsley if you ever see that listed somewhere.

KCWhistle, uzn007, ianuaditis and 6 others like this.
  19. US Blues

Some folks have a genetic deal where, for them, cilantro tastes utterly disgusting. My daughter is afflicted thus and will not touch the stuff.

20. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

As you know, I was there for both nights as well and recall being blown away both nights; the first being a total rock n' roll feast and the next day, Jerry's bday, being one great spaced out show.

One of my friends I went with told me a funny story I hadn't heard until today. We grew up in Roslyn, NY on Long Island. There was a head shop in town called the "Stone Celler" owned by a great guy by the name of Eppy. So my friend David sees Eppy a few weeks before those shows and Eppy (who was a huge dead head); told my friend that Bruce Springsteen would be playing those same nights at My Fathers Place in NY and he should go, as they are an amazing band. My friend told him no way is he missing the Dead. Why on earth they booked Bruce the same days as the dead were playing in Jersey is criminal. We would have seen him there if not for the dead playing and I wouldn't of had to wait another four-ish years to discover him.

Anyway, Happy birthday Jerry. Not a day goes by that I don't miss you and appreciate the time you blessed us with on this plane. See ya in the next life.

Zafu

21. US Blues

This show should be part of the Summer '73 Box Set. A Mandatory Purchase.

22. You gotta hear this - it’s about that night!

KCWhistle, uzn007, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  23. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Jerry's birthday, eh?

Pinky are you pondering what I'm pondering?

DrLunchbox, trd and ianuaditis like this.
  24. davmar77

Eppy owned my father's place. I saw tons of shows there. The club opened again in roslyn a couple of years ago. I have friends working there. Keep in mind bruce was still a club act in 73 with little crossover to dead fans. Wouldn't have made much difference in the scheme of things.

25. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

ARK likes this.