The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They cropped Pigpen out of the band photo.

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

5. trd

trd Forum Resident

I think you can get some antibiotics for that

For some reason Sisyphus is a go-to reference for me and I really should stop because 90% of the time no one has any idea what I am referring to. Read a book people!’

frightwigwam, ARK, US Blues and 10 others like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Nice.

Crazy Otto and DrLunchbox like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

A news story that includes a link to 7-31-71 Dark Star is all right in my book.

A funny coincidence, I'm actually just getting ready to head to that area for work. Last time I was down there I saw a GD sticker on a phone truck, I'm sure the guy was thinking 'why the hell is this idiot trying to take a picture of my truck?'

8. fritz7784

fritz7784 Forum Resident

We Must Imagine Sisyphus Happy

ARK, adamos, Panama Hotel and 5 others like this.
  9. uzn007

That show, and the 9th in Boston, have a little something extra, to my ears, that didn't survive the rest of the spring tour. Things started to heat up again in the fall, but the band was moving into a "proto-77" period by then, and their sound was starting to change.

On the subject of "Slipknot," a lot of those long versions from early '76 get very far afield from the actual "Slipknot" part. They're more of a launch pad for an independent jam. Which is great, but not the same (and maybe not as exciting) as 15 minutes (or whatever) of pure "Slipknot" jamming. I think the energy level on that song increased a lot in the fall and the following spring, even if the excursions tightened up considerably.

10. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

One of these days I'd like to do a deep dive and listen to all of 76 in chronological order. I find it a fascinating year in GD history, and one of their best years musically.

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Well, considering he had died ten weeks earlier…

:mad:

US Blues, sami, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was not too keen on 76 until I did this, there is still a lot that hearkens back to 74 rather than to what was to come.

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Hello, new Hunters Tricks I see? 1982/09/17: Cumberland County Civic Center [HT 132]
    Don’t mind if I DO

14. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

That's the magic of 76 to me. Some new songs in the rotations (and great ones at that), while still keeping some of that 72-74 willingness to step off the cliff. It's a bummer that Mickey is back, but at least he and Billy hadn't yet settled into the monotony of their latter-day drumming yet.

15. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

One-Ten Seventy Nine, my first Mama-Mex. I knew there was something special about that night that made it stand out above so many other shows!

US Blues, adamos, ianuaditis and 5 others like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I could see it being the highlight. The 2nd set is a yawner.

17. KDubATX

Another pleasing release. First set is not bad and I really enjoyed set 2. I sure get my money’s worth out of the HT series.

Set 1
    Bertha ->
    The Promised Land
    Candyman ->
    C C Rider
    Althea
    Me And My Uncle ->
    Big River
    Dupree's Diamond Blues
    It's All Over Now
    West L.A. Fadeaway
    Throwing Stones ->
    Deal

Set 2
    Touch Of Grey ->
    Man Smart (Woman Smarter)
    High Time
    Estimated Prophet ->
    Eyes Of The World ->
    Drums ->
    Space ->
    Spanish Jam ->
    The Other One ->
    Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
    Morning Dew ->
    Sugar Magnolia

Encore
    U.S. Blues

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    budwhite, ARK, Guy Smiley and 6 others like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't think that I've heard the first set, but I got a nice audience cassette of Set II in the late 80s, and it got a lot of play. It's a good one.

19. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Just arrived yesterday.
    [​IMG]

budwhite, Gollum, ARK and 31 others like this.
  20. uzn007

That's the "Mexicali Blues" that @US Blues is always going on about, isn't it? ;-)

ianuaditis, LandHorses and bzfgt like this.
  21. KDubATX

Found it up on the Tube.

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is more of Dick’s Picks #31 — Philadelphia Civic Centre, Philadelphia, PA, 05/08/74.

Another stunner from Summer 1974.

1st Set:
    • Me And Bobby McGee — I dig this “cowboy” tune, here it’s real twangy with almost boogie-woogie piano and has a slightly darker psychedelic edge;
    • China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider — well, holy s h i t—a quite spectacular, mega-long China Cat features some insanely inventive, driving jamming with moments during the long transition I’ve not heard before, where things never stay settled for too long, turning-on-a-dime and taking off for unexplored and unchartered territories along the way—it’s all guns blazing and it’s utterly enthralling; before a charging, razor-sharp-precise transition into a rip-roarin’ and soarin’ Rider. Whoa! Phenomenal band interplay all round—Jerry is killing it here, Phil’s doing his thing and dropping huge bombs all over the place, Bobby’s tight and right in the pocket, Keith is tinkling away and Billy is a monster on the kit. They absolutely smash this one—it’s jazzy and jammy and totally outrageous. Easily an all-timer;
    • Special mention to a funny “Take a Step Back.” Everyone loves this game, yeah?;
    • Around And Around — a rippin’ hot rocker to close the 1st set with wild, deliriously out-of-control, killer jamming.
    2nd Set:
    • Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > — a swingin’, groovin’ version featuring a scintillating solo segues seamlessly into;
    • It Must Have Been The Roses — emerges gracefully out of Mississippi Half-Step, a slightly brisker, yet gorgeous version;
    • Big River — a relentlessly frenetic, dizzyingly energetic trip down the mighty river;
    • Scarlet Begonias — a sweet, early stand-alone 12-minute version with super-heady jamming and a killer Jerry solo (this is actually on Disc 1 but it’s from the 2nd Set);
    • He’s Gone > — heartfelt, with a tremendously soulful solo and a remarkably beautiful gospel-like outro (featuring Jerry on slide guitar?!)—quite sublime;
    • Truckin’ > Jam > The Other One Jam > Space > — the massive jam portion of the set—a smokin’ white-hot Truckin’ is followed by a gloriously spacey jazz-influenced, Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew-like Jam, which in turn morphs into a short but thunderously wild Other One Jam before an “out-there” Space;
    • Stella Blue — a stunningly intricate, beautiful version with an epic climax concludes the magnificent 40+ minute sequence;
    • One More Saturday Night — ends the show on a rock ‘n’ rollin’ good time.

Just. Damn. Awesome.

I: Promised Land, Brown-Eyed Women, Beat It On Down The Line, Dire Wolf, Me And Bobby McGee*, Tennessee Jed, Jack Straw, Deal, El Paso, China Cat Sunflower* > I Know You Rider*, Around And Around*.

Seastones.

II: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo* > It Must Have Been The Roses*, Big River*, Ramble On Rose, Me And My Uncle, Scarlet Begonias*, He’s Gone* > Truckin’* > Jam* > The Other One Jam* > Space* > Stella Blue*, One More Saturday Night*.

E: U.S. Blues.

*on DP’s #31.

[​IMG]
    1974/2004 Grateful Dead Records ‎– GDCD 4051

frightwigwam, ARK, Jimbobwe and 21 others like this.
  23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1990-03-29 probably posted about it here at some point over the past 5 years. Great show though....really nice Dark Star, has a little jam in the back half that's neither over a Dark Star structure nor totally out, which is always good

Crazy Otto, sami, KCWhistle and 7 others like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The last track on Infrared Roses is a nice condensed version of that jam.

ianuaditis, ARK, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  25. In reflecting on Jerry, this is one of my favorite songs of his.
    It also is one with universal appeal and meaning.

Here’s a great Grateful Dead live version.

11-20-78. Cleveland