The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I think I'm going to need you to explain that joke for me.

ARK, mBen989 and AintGotHalfOf like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Deadcast
    Bear Drops: LA ‘66

Good stuff.

[​IMG]

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't get it, that's why I like it

4. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

I started a Dead poems mini-thread, a few pages back, and it caught on. People posting silly, self-written, Grateful Dead poems. The sense of humor on here is quirky. If you get 1/2 the jokes, you’re doin go well.

5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

What a coincidence! That's also be why your posts get so many likes.

Paperback Writer, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’m listening to the Grateful Dead radio documentary (recorded in ‘68, broadcast in ‘69) that was released as a bonus disc with The Golden Road box set. Fun listen.

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I don't think I could in a family friendly setting.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

27 October 1978- Pavilion East, Washington State College, Cheney, Washington.

The Jerry Garcia Band.

Last tour with Keith & Donna in the JGB.

iirc Bobby's band was opening for the JGB on this swing through the PNW, and Jerry was paying attention to his keyboardist, a kid named Brent Mydland.

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Fall of 71 before Pig came back might be the only period of the band I consider skipping the non-jam songs.

Regarding TC, he has talked about how supportive Pig was, showing him how to play his parts etc. Ned Lagin also told how Pig encouraged him to sit in and take his place at the organ.

It seems Pig was a reluctant star and had to be hectored and prodded into performing a lot of the time.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall after his illness and that had something to do with his increased participation in late 71 and 72.
    If I can cheat a bit and define 'year' as 'span of 12 months' rather than calendar year than I will go with Aoxomoxoa Live/ Dead and Workingman's Dead over those three (especially as Garcia and Ace are not GD albums.)

Godchaux took advantage of this lapse in attention to raid Garcia's stash.:evil:

KCWhistle, US Blues, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Sometimes this is my favorite show.

SJR, johnnypaddock, heathen and 3 others like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Hall, Kansas City, KS, 28/10/77.

Another Fall ‘77 show that seems to fly under-the-radar and is not often mentioned. It’s as expected, exceptionally well-played, and recorded (thanks Betty).

Quite an interesting set, as there’s none of the “usual” ‘77 fare of The Music Never Stopped, Estimated Prophet, or Terrapin, here. The horror!

The 1st set is a bangin’ good time, with a particularly mind-melting jam inside of Lazy Lightning > Supplication coming towards the end; but the highlight comes midway through the 2nd set with a downright stunning He’s Gone which features a jaw-dropping beautiful outro jam; then things begin to get raucously wild, as it’s all swingin’ rockers (with a beaut Stella sandwiched in-between) from here on in; culminating in the most amazingly bat-s h i r t insane, hard-edged rockin’ encore of Casey Jones you’ll ever hear. Like, ever.

If you’ve not heard it, give it a shot.

What’s that? DeKalb next stop …

I: Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Mexicali Blues > Big River, Brown-Eyed Women, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Deal.

II: Samson And Delilah, Candyman, Sunrise, Passenger, He’s Gone > Drums > Not Fade Away > Space > Stella Blue > Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad > Around And Around.

E: Casey Jones.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
  12. frightwigwam

Trainspotting Note: the school in Cheney, near Spokane, is Eastern Washington University.

The former Washington State College, now WSU, my alma mater, is to the south in Pullman, just across the border from the U of Idaho in Moscow.

Respect to the Eagles for getting Jerry and Bob to stop in. I guess Pullman was just too far out of their way.

13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Ah, then the original text file was incorrect, my apologies.

When this recording first came into circulation I did learn that the town's name is pronounced "cha-nay," not "chain-ee," like the heartless former VP of the US.

14. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Not enough pull, man

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week

15. Trick r Treat?

This 74- 06 - 08 show from Oakland Coliseum, is a definite TREAT!

Whole show ranges from very, very good to mostly very very excellent - but several songs are in the rarified air of “ Total very top shelf versions”
    For me, those songs are:

Scarlet Begonias - much crisper and sharper than what it evolved into , as a languid partner with FOTM.

Tennessee Jed - different , interesting, effective.

China Cat/ Rider in line with best of this era, same for -
    Eyes of the World

Around and Around - one of best- of any era.

HIGHLIGHT is the Playing In the Band > Wharf Rat > Playing In the Band layered aural pastry that is 40 minutes of bliss! PIB goes to all corners of the universe, as well as the Earth. Outstanding!

Enjoy.

(Click below, look to the right side and see playlist for song titles in larger letters, click and play, or go straight to Re-listen App.)

Grateful Dead • 1974-06-08 (03:03:32) • Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland, CA, USA
    6/8/74 Grateful Dead

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  16. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

RE: Berlin 1990

Yes indeed, I did 10 of the 11 shows, opting to skip the out-of-the-way Stockholm show that was the tour opener. If there was 1 show to skip, well, that was the one, I believe.

BTW was a very welcome addition back into the setlists around that time. Fun times fo' sure.

adamos, SJR, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  17. Billy_Sunday

And speaking of that E90 tour --- 31 years ago we were back at Le Zenith for night 2 ... another solid show, and a nice setlist t'boot. Was never a big fan of the Hornsby set-closers, but that only happened a few times so no harm no foul I guess.

I know some here don't love Knockin' as an encore. Me? I do love it! Of course my first was at Laguna Seca '88, as the sun was setting in Western skies, which was a magical experience. So, I always enjoyed hearing it concert, with such a vivid memory associated with "my first time"

10/28/90 Grateful Dead - Le Zenith, Paris, France

I: Touch Of Grey> Walkin' Blues, Candyman, Box Of Rain, Mexicali Blues> Maggie's Farm, Althea, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Stander On The Mountain

II: Victim Or The Crime> Eyes Of The World> Estimated Prophet> Uncle John's Band> Drums> Space> The Other One> Wharf Rat> Sugar Magnolia

E: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

18. Billy_Sunday

Those October 1991 Oakland shows are also worth mentioning. Lotta good stuff went down that run - though the proceedings did have a rather somber overtone, due to the unexpected passing of Bill Graham earlier that week.

We didn't get many fall runs out west (in the latter years) -- but this Halloween 4-night stand was a welcome change in that regard! (Halloween itself was the 3rd year in a row I would see Jerry play...)

Anyway - here's to Bill Graham! Cheers mate! Rest In Peace...

10/27/91 Grateful Dead - Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA

I: Sugar Magnolia> Sugaree, Walkin' Blues, Althea, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Candyman, Cassidy, Touch Of Grey

II: China Cat Sunflower> I Know You Rider, Samson & Delilah, Ship Of Fools, Iko Iko*> Mona*> Drums> Space> The Wheel> I Need A Miracle> Wharf Rat> Good Lovin'

E: Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    (first show after Bill Graham's death in a helicopter crash on 10/25/91; *w/Gary Duncan)

10/28/91 Grateful Dead - Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, CA

I: Bertha> Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O, Wang Dang Doodle, Loose Lucy, Stuck Inside Of Mobile, Bird Song

II: Saint Of Circumstance> Crazy Fingers> Playin' In The Band> Drums> Space> All Along The Watchtower> Stella Blue> Turn On Your Lovelight

E: The Weight

WaterLemon, adamos, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  19. frightwigwam

Back when the Seahawks held their training camp in Cheney, the sportscasters always said, "chee-nee." But I can't say that I've stayed current on that issue.

US Blues likes this.
  20. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

The last disc of the St. Louis box (the heart of 10/30/73, 2nd set) is everything. That's all.

21. Billy_Sunday

sounds like the corollary of "if you get confused, listen to the music play!"

22. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Fun exercise.. Here’s mine, delayed due to the “Bomb Cyclone” Nor’easter that hit us south of Boston. We’re all still out of power, but thankfully our little generator is taking the uncomfortable edge off things.

9/3/77 - DP15
    5/10/78 - DP 25
    10/25/79 - RT 1.1 partial
    10/27/79 - 30 Trips
    10/31/79 - RT 1.1 partial
    11/1/79 - RT 1.1 partial
    5/7/80 - RT 3.4
    5/15/80, 5/16/80 - G2N partial
    9/2/80 - DP21 partial
    10/26/80 - Beyond Description partial
    10/27/80 - Dead Set partial
    5/6/81 - DP13
    5/16/81 - 30 Trips
    4/5/82 RT 4.4 partial
    4/6/82 RT 4.4
    10/12/84 30 Trips
    12/31/84 - So Many Roads partial
    11/1/85 - DP21
    12/30/85 Postcards partial
    7/12/87 - Giants box
    9/18/87 - 30 Trips
    10/27/90 - 30 Trips
    6/4/91 - VFTV 2

23. Billy_Sunday

One of the shows I got back in my earliest tape trading days. Played the heck out of that tape back in the day. Good one indeed. SBD source, always seemed a bit muffled. Eventually got the "upgrade" on LL, and it still had that familiar muffled sound. Guessing the master cassettes were not the best blanks....

birdstrike likes this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

Yes. I'm just about finished up with that one as well. I think I'm going to listen to that Truckin' sequence again, just to help it sink in, before I move onto the '72 shows.

25. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

No doubt! Those are under-rated years and worth exploring! A little slow at times and the setlists are a little standardized as Brent gets up to speed but the jamming can creep up on you. Drums and Space grew leaps and bounds these years as the Drummers got new toys to play with.