The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

The other day you posted an image (a lamp?) that I messed around with, just for grins.

Now, for your consideration:

[​IMG]

An epic show, to be sure.

Bill

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Ten years or so ago Charlie Miller released cassette SBDs of a bunch of early 1979 shows, a cool surprise even if they usually had big cuts or were only one set. My understanding is that they were from a non-vault source (or sources). One episode of The Grateful Dead Hour had the Playing from this show from (I assume) Rolfe's recording, maybe the only time Gans has broadcast an audience tape.

uzn007, SJR, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  3. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

It’s already been released in the 30 Trips box.

4. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I'll jump on the '73 bandwagon with a noob pick.
    1973/12/19 Tampa, FL (Dick's Picks Volume 1)
    [​IMG]

5. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

I bought this in 1998 and immediately listened to the first disk straight through. It was the first notes of GoGD music that I had ever heard. Jerry's playing on HCS blew me away! Inside was an ad for the Almanac. I signed up and started ordering other Picks. 3, 4, 8, 10-14 soon followed and I was hooked.

6. Thanks for the clarifications! The combo of my ignorance and inconcise google search resulted in my assumption.

By all means if you see any Grateful Dead related Australian Sport items, post the pics here. ;)

Six Bachelors and Spy Car like this.

7. Well that makes sense - a great choice. So, even better, to alert folks who don’t have that box to its availability as a Soundboard.

8. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

The various sources indicate that Jerry was actually in better shape for a while after his coma.

They undoubtedly should have taken a break after Brent died, which might have both allowed them to chart a more considered path forward but also given them the opportunity to grieve without having to deal with the complexities of the band

Barring that, they really should have taken a break after Jerry's health scare in 1992. Even if Jerry would have simply gone out more frequently with the JGB as a result, there's at least a chance he would have dealt with his situation more effectively than he did.

That is a very very good starting point.

Matthew Tate, Zafu, SJR and 4 others like this.
  9. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen this mentioned...
    Definitely a great one! One of the first live albums I heard by them. Gets better with each listen, I appreciate it more with experienced ears than my earlier listens.

Zafu and KCWhistle like this.

10. Thanks, that’s a great cover to go with that soundboard! Excellent.

Zafu and Spy Car like this.
  11. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

Yep! I’ve not listened to a ton of it, but I really dig that acoustic set from Dick’s 8, and then I listened to Road Trips 3.3 a couple of weeks ago (which also opens with Don’t Ease Me In). I’m all for it. I love it when they get folky.

notesofachord, adamos, SJR and 4 others like this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Especially wonderful in 24/96.

Paperback Writer and Zafu like this.
  13. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

What's everyone's listening habits for listening to Grateful Dead music?

I've generally been listening to full shows or similar. There's a lot of Dead I haven't listened to, even with close to 100 shows and albums listened to under my belt. However, I totally understand the desire to stick to sets or highlights, especially for long time listeners. I try to avoid repeats if I have time to listen to more than one show at a time, or two shows in a row, in part because I don't want to burn out on the songs. Occasionally I put on jams or a second set.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  14. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Back in the tape trading days 6/12 & 6/29 both circulated in nice sbd/fm form (a rarity at the time) 6/28 was a fairly thin sounding audience. I was never a fan of 6/29 but the Boston 6/12 show I loved they just killed it that night. As much as I love the 76 box set they dropped the ball by not releasing the full 6/12 show.

dgwint and Zafu like this.
  15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil quit drinking in '82 or so, right around the time he met Jill. While there are many a negative story that circulate about this couple, Jill brought a light to Phil's life that had been lacking. He changed his life, and his playing and inspiration for the band increased from there until Jerry's passing, and his enthusiasm continues to this day.

I'll also state for the record that the musical issues of the late 70's that were projected onto Keith and Donna were not their's alone. It was simply easier for them to leave than for the rest of the band and crew to own up to their own darkness that was fouling up the Alembic of the Stage.

16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Unless there is a specific song I want to hear or if I’m just in the mood for a Dark Star I’ll generally put on a full show. Occasionally skip a song or two but usually not. It can take me several days in the car to get through a whole show, but I still prefer the complete context of the performance.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

6/19/76 was one of the first tapes I got, early 90's. The trader only had the first set, which fortunately had Help-Slip-Frank and Playing.

18. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Full shows and era-hopping to avoid burnout. Occasional highlights sprinkled in for zest.

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Just threw this on - been a while. I always liked this box-set format.

A great laid back "Sugaree". Garcia vocals sound wonderful.

Now onto "To Lay Me Down" - put me in the 'think it's one of best Hunter/Garcia ballads'.
    11/11/73 they sang it wonderfully.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  20. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

...you could buy a box the size of 30 trips?

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dont really ever do complete shows, I prefer a mix but there are definitely auto skips, (cowboy tunes/Bobs blues spot) but not always. I like the extended jams that's really my bread and butter.

Matthew Tate and Islands like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Where is Fennario is the question.

23. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Sorely tempted to order a custom set of Lawn Bowls from Henselite (Australia).

Bill

[​IMG]

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I remember reading somewhere that at least one or two GD members themselves called it Fennario. The source didn’t say which members, though.

Paperback Writer, trd and US Blues like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

12/31/88, which I attended, for one.

SJR and US Blues like this.