The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats why i do it. keeps things fresh. sometimes listening to several shows in a row from the same year your mind starts to mix things up with what you just heard

Ant G, Crazy Otto, Islands and 2 others like this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

52 years ago today

01/16/70
    Springer's Inn Portland - Portland, OR

Set 1:
    Casey Jones
    Mama Tried
    Black Peter
    Hard To Handle
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    High Time
    Good Lovin'
    Drums
    Good Lovin'
    Dancin' In The Streets
    Alligator
    Drums
    The Eleven Jam
    Death Don't Have No Mercy

Set 2:
    Cumberland Blues
    Me And My Uncle
    Dire Wolf
    Uncle John's Band
    Easy Wind
    Cryptical Envelopment
    Drums
    The Other One
    Cryptical Envelopment
    Cosmic Charlie

Crispy Rob, Spazros, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I've come to prefer Fennario (sometimes with only one N as I've seen Latvala write it.) I don't have any particular reason why, I just started writing that a couple of months ago and it stuck.
    or backwash

KCWhistle and trd like this.
  4. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

grapefruit??

Bill

5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

As someone who is a stickler for details I'm embarrassed I made that mistake. :oops:

KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  6. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Just downloaded it--looking forward to spending a snowy Sunday afternoon here in my part of MD with NFL playoff games and this all day & evening. Cipollina jammed with them post-Space...

Crispy Rob, ARK, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  7. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Birth Of The Dead (The Studio Sessions)
    [​IMG]

8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

When a Dead reference is not a Dead reference:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  9. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

This post sent me down a Go-Betweens rabbit hole (thank you) but unfortunately I don’t have either box set. After just a quick look around, they’ve certainly appreciated in value. Wow! G stands for Go-Betweens today.

BMac19 likes this.
  10. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Been watching early period videos like Playboy After Dark 1969, Calebration 1970, and Tivoli 1972. I always loved the version of Hard To Handle on Backstage Pass. Any chance the GD would ever do an anthology type Blu Ray with bits of video like that?

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ron is on vacation.

:righton:

Paperback Writer, US Blues and trd like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

Picked up a sealed copy of the 11/18/72 release on CD this week from the classifieds. My first run through. Starts off a little rough mix wise and performance wise but this He’s Gone jam is leaving me with high hopes for the Playin. I’m enjoying the Phil heavy mix.

Edit: cooking version of Deal. Is that Keith with a subtle Rhodes during the intro?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Crispy Rob, uzn007, KCWhistle and 9 others like this.
  13. trd

trd Forum Resident

Dave’s not here, man

frightwigwam and notesofachord like this.
  14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

15. davmar77

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think it is Keith using the wah attachment to his acoustic piano.

17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Ah yes! I think you’re right

18. davmar77

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Love those PigPen mammarial clips.

20. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I’ve noticed that sound on several shows from that era. It’s a really cool tone.

Zafu, ianuaditis and trd like this.
  21. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 7/3/84[Kansas City]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing The Wheel.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Nice show

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

As a fellow stickler, I can sympathize. You'd better watch out, I confused Seattle with Portland and the cosmos paid me back with Portland losing the MLS cup final to boy city.

That hasn't been on Yobtob in years, I'm going to check that out later tonight.

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Today’s listening is Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven, CT, 17/01/79.

[​IMG]

“I’m sure you all want to welcome Jerry Garcia back from the jaws of death” . . .

A rescheduled show from November 25, 1978, where Bobby announced to the crowd just before start-time as they were taking their seats, that Jerry was sick and that the show would have to be cancelled, promising the punters they’d be back.

There’s a real laidback, swingin’ vibe to this show. Another great-sounding AUD, though I somewhat agree with Dick that this is quite uneventful. It’s rock-solid and well-played; a good, not great show.

Still, a loose and funky Shakedown Street opener is always a treat—this time, it’s rockin’ partner from the previous show, I Need A Miracle, is resigned to set-closer, where it stomps home with glee; the country rockers’ MAMU > Big River pairing is a rollicking one-two; I’m a complete sucker for pretty Peggy-O (or Fenario, with one “n” as listed here by Dick), and here, she’s more a ragged beauty than outright stunner; Stagger Lee has a little extra grit, as an exasperated Jerry strains to belt out the repeated final lines, “the song that woman sung”; New Minglewood Blues features piercing slide soloing, if you like that sorta thing; it’s clear Jer is struggling vocally, most evident throughout Brown-Eyed Women, though it does lend a certain power to the “old man’s getting old” lyric—he really does sound it!

An epic, almost non-stop jamming sequence makes up the entire 2nd set—though there’s no real fireworks, I mean, you can’t really go wrong with a Scarlet > Fire, Estimated > Eyes double-double-whammy, can ya?!—Scarlet > Fire has Phil dominating, though the transition jam isn’t one you can get lost in and doesn’t delve too deep, with a quick, fairly immediate turn into Fire; there’s some interesting sounds (gurgling, bubbling synths and rhythms) coming outta Estimated; before an effortlessly sweet transition into an Eyes that rattle on by at top speed; Drums sounds like it wants to head into NFA, but first; a unique Jam hints at that “Serengeti” Jam from the previous show, it’s got a tropical/exotic vibe about it, but it doesn’t seem quite as fully-realised or fleshed out, sounding at one point like it’s gonna explode into TOO, before settling back into that relaxed groove; an extended, spacey NFA is woozy and hazy; the transition from Black Peter into Around And Around is better than “nice,” it actually rips—also, Black Peter is long, long, long and languorous, deeply dark and intense with a croaky, world-weary Jerry lending it an air of hopeless desperation; a slide-heavy, loose-groovin’ Casey Jones closes.

“We found out some bad news today, our whole crew are communist spies” . . .

I: Shakedown Street, Me And My Uncle > Big River, Peggy-O, Beat It On Down The Line, Stagger Lee, New Minglewood Blues, Brown-Eyed Women, From The Heart Of Me, I Need A Miracle.

II: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Jam > Not Fade Away > Black Peter > Around And Around > Good Lovin’.

E: Casey Jones.

Once more, here’s Dick’s thoughts:

[​IMG]

mgb70, Crispy Rob, uzn007 and 14 others like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I am looking forward to revisiting this tomorrow. The picture is great for me, seeing that PA brings back memories.

PS- I recommend the second set from 17 January 1978- Sacramento.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, Zafu and 6 others like this.