The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Would you care to expand on this review? I've always been fairly underwhelmed with this show, which makes me feel like the odd man out around here. As I recall from my last listen, there are some great improvisational passages but there are some parts where Keith's block chords really seem to drag the energy down. I'd like to hear what it was like in person, if you're so inclined.

budwhite, Zafu and bzfgt like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Another quirk of that 7/19/74 "He's Gone" is Bill's "reggae" drumming on the first verse. He was doing that a bit in '74.

budwhite, shadowcurtain, Zafu and 4 others like this.
  3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The first set seemed very ordinary, especially after the MNS > Scarlet from 7/16 (we wondered what happened to the Scarlet on 7/18) and the intense Sugaree from 7/17. The pre-drums second set looked like it would lead to something special, but every time that seemed about to happen (post-drums) someone in the band would kill it, either with some gross mistake, boring rhythm or an awkward segue. Listen past the otherwise impressive setlist and you will probably see what I mean.

SJR, US Blues, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  4. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

All this 76 talk. I swear I will be listening to 7/17 and 7/18 this week. Things keep getting in my way.

SJR, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  5. uzn007

"Boring rhythm and awkward segues" aligns with my experience. As I said, there are some portions of great jamming, but the second part of the set sounds sometimes sounds like they're lurching from song to song without much style or finesse.

This was the first post-hiatus K&D show I got on cassette in the mid-80s, and while I listened to it a lot (as I did with all of my Dead tapes at that point), it gave me a negative view of that whole period until a little while later when I finally heard (brace yourself) 5-8-77.

SJR, US Blues, WaterLemon and 2 others like this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Just catching up on the Weather Report Suite discussion from a few pages back and will briefly trash the vibe here to say I’m strongly in the anti- camp.

It’s like a Jesse Colin Young composition that Jesse Colin Young forced the band to play after kidnapping Bob Weirs grandma and holding her hostage. One of the early signs that whatever guardian angel had been watching over the Dead’s divinely inspired songwriting quality control was starting to nod off in the early ‘70’s.

Shall we call it by a name? Sorry, against forum rules.

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Exactly.

Overall, I would rank this show no higher than 4th of the 6 night Orpheum run. 7/14 is an underappreciated show with a lot of "space", although Keith's "boring chords" do occur here and there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    SJR, US Blues, trd and 1 other person like this.
  8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I enjoy Prelude and Part I more than Lost Sailor, although the amount of exposure may have something to do with it.

KCWhistle, US Blues and trd like this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Incredible interview with Jerry and Bear

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

WRS Pt 1 - well, the weepiness about cold weather is nearly John Denver-worthy, but the music is pretty and quirky enough to save it.

11. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Thanks for sharing! Jerry was so philosophical. When he talked about people dialing up there own reality I couldn't help but think about the news media.

KCWhistle and fishcane like this.
  12. uzn007

Part 1 is nice, but I don't think there's enough musical payoff there to justify the length. It's kind of "light." When they first introduced this song, they started using it to replace longer jams like "Playin" (end of first set) and as a second-set jam vehicle, but the whole first part is pretty static. I guess it's similar to "Terrapin" in that regard, but "Lady with a Fan" has a lot more lyrical depth, and there's that great modal jam before the transition into "Terrapin Station" proper.

With "WRS", it's more like a great, complex jam vehicle with an extra-long intro tacked on the front. I think "Let it Grow" works better as a standalone and was at its peak from late '77 through Jerry's coma.

KCWhistle, SJR, Zafu and 3 others like this.
  13. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I feel sorry for a newbie. The official discography is so watered down at this point.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

I've heard the Hollywood Palladium (08/06/71) show (including Hunter Seamon's SBD/AUD which uses the Harvey Kaslow audience tape as a source), but I've never heard the straight AUD.

Rectifying that now. Bobby just admonished the taper to move back.

Needed a cover. The type of Sony recorder and mics used:

[​IMG]

Bill

Crispy Rob, adamos, trd and 8 others like this.
  15. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Also, put me down as a fan of the full Weather Report Suite.

Bill

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Listening to Dave's Picks 11 -- 11.17.72

Fall 72 is like the progress of Europe with the additional setlist goodies like Bird Song and Box of Rain. Love it.

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I may tend to prize Dark Star close encounters more than some, 7-18-76 has some of that. I fully expected to be less impressed with it than the other shows of that run but when I listened again it was a standout.

It's was 3 years ago Thursday I last listened to it, maybe I will check it out again though I have a lot on my list. It looks like I listened to the entire run over the course of 4 days back then, so I must have gotten some enthusiasm for it along the way. (e.g right now I'm playing 4-3-86, I started that Spring Tour of 86 back at the beginning of 2021.)

18. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

If 8/2/76 was around in better quality, it would be a contender.

Zafu, rbbert, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was going to say this also, I was also surprised by the Colt Park show, they definitely picked up steam as 76 went along.

20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Bobby is addressing a different taper, not Harvey Kaslow and Craig Todd. rbbert has mentioned this previously.

trd, Zafu, OhioHead and 3 others like this.
  21. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

one quick note on 10/3/76 Cobo - there is a strong thematic flavor of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" started by Keith around the 6min mark (30 trips release) up til about the 7:20min mark and Jerry seems to noodle with the main riff as well...killer stuff.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Put me down as a fan of the complete Weather Report Suite. The emotional impact of the whole measures more than the particular notes and lyrics.

When I saw The Dead play it at Red Rocks back in the 'aughts' it was a pure treasure- Weather Report Suite on the Rocks during a rainy Summer.

Just. Exactly. Perfect.

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jerry's uninspiredness is certainly a "thing" once he started chasing the dragon. To my ear the devolution of his playing hits hard after the Godchaux depart, and his acquisition of the Tiger allows him more room to slur notes and lose the articulation the Wolf offered.

24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

My first complete tour. Lots of great times.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, adamos and 5 others like this.
  25. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

Thank you for the homework, I need to listen to both AUD sources this after to hear the difference, things I learned today 2 AUD’s are available of 8/6/71. I have always have had the copy of the taper saying he was staying put.

Zafu and ianuaditis like this.