The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I like both Mountains of the Moon versions. The original with the choir has a very cool vibe.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've always thought 2.28.69 could have been a clear winner in that run... but then I'm reminded its missing Mountains...

The Mountains>DS transition remains one of my favorite pairings of all time... brief though that pairing was....

3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

32 years ago tonight and tomorrow...........

One of my favorite ever attended Grateful Dead weekends. The Autzen Stadium shows get overlooked and never talked about between the 1990 spring Tour, Cal Expo/Shoreline, summer, MSG, and Europe. These are top notch. 6/23 is a top 20 favorite attended show, and 6/24 is about up there too (only ruined by a drive in movie ooo-wee). Laid back, crazy, colorful fun times.

6/23/90
    Autzen Stadium (University Of Oregon) - Eugene, OR

Set 1:
    Feel Like A Stranger, West LA Fadeaway, Me And My Uncle > Cumberland Blues, Far From Me, They Love Each Other, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Promised Land

Set 2:
    Eyes Of The World > Looks Like Rain, Crazy Fingers > Playin' In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Playin' Reprise > Drums > Space > The Wheel > I Need A Miracle > Morning Dew

Encore:
    One More Saturday Night

6/24/90
    Autzen Stadium (University Of Oregon) - Eugene, OR

Set 1:
    Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Loose Lucy, Just A Little Light, Picasso Moon, Candyman, Let It Grow

Set 2:
    Foolish Heart > Man Smart-Woman Smarter, Standing On The Moon, Box Of Rain, Estimated Prophet > He's Gone > Drums > Space > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Sugar Magnolia

Encore:
    Brokedown Palace

After they put out Merriweather 85, Eugene 90 would make a great little box set.

4. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Listening to 1974/06/23 Miami, FL (Dave's Picks Vol. 34) for the first time.
    Great 1st set, weird sounds on a few tracks, BTW and Row Jimmy were cool versions, some real emotional stuff during the last few songs of the set, with TLMD, WRS, and China Doll.
    Am I a fan of Seastones? Not sure, it's pretty out there.
    2nd set out of the Ned Lagin/Lesh experiment was nice, into Ship of Fools. Big River doing its thing. I'm looking forward to hearing the full segment of Dark Star>US Blues, which I've heard before on So Many Roads. I'm on Black Peter, the band is on fire in this show.

I'm still thinking about the Playing in the Band from the night before. That jam was fantastic, I'll have to revisit it soon. Might be the best part of Dave's Picks 34

'74 Dead is lit.

[​IMG]

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

What do you mean "although"? They can get away with murder?

6. bzfgt

But we know how you like to stir the pot

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I like it and the so called controversy doesn't bother me in the slightest.

KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Played that yesterday—it’s one of my favourite Picks. Outstanding stuff.

9. bzfgt

I want to thank whoever it was that mentioned 1974-06-08 the other day, which caused me to revisit that PiTB>Wharf Rat>PiTB which is as good as the GD got in their storied career-io.

Today I had a Vince binge...I listened to just about all of Veneta. A few thoughts:

There are few quantum leaps in the way songs proceed, but I think it wouldn't be ridiculous to call this show a step forward for China>Rider, PiTB and Bird Song, and maybe He's Gone but I can't remember what the previous post-Europe ones are like.

China>Rider: Garcia decides to really jam out the transition for the first time in the recent history of this pair (I seem to recall a precursor or two in maybe 1970, when he played more on the transition). He not only gives us a good count, but he plays viciously too, making this the best C>R of the year. He kind of put his head back in the shell after this, with exceptions; anyway, certainly nothing this elaborate would happen for the rest of the year.

Bird Song: I think they'd played it a couple times already post-Europe, and it's the same basic idea, but this one is really kind of definitive.

PiTB: There was an 18-minute one by the end of Europe, and the 1972-07-18 version is really great, but this seems like another step with the intensity of the jam at such length.

So only C>R is clear cut but as I say, there's a case for the other two.

Maybe also He's Gone--is this the first with all the backing vocals and vocal coda? Maybe not but, in any case, it's coming along at this point.

This show also has a magnificent GSET.

Dark Star: I've often called this one overrated. I dig it more and more as time goes by, though. I'm going to listen really closely and blog it/EDS it later today. It is really, really great, regardless of its relative merits.

Subsequently I listened to much of 1978-04-22. I didn't remember ever hearing it, but I already had a few notes about it, including a suggestion that it may have the best Wharf Rat ever. A hell of a thing to forget! But I was not disabused of this notion today, certainly it's one of the best. The Estimated also seems extra, and most of the rest is really solid shading into great although those two to me are the standouts.

10. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Right then....Judy WAS a proper bit o' crumpet she was then, my sons, a WELL proper bit o' crumpet her...
    all the birds in art school fancied her too....the lads would crash the parties at St Ives Womens Art institute back in yonks...
    kegs of cider...lysergics..proper smoke.....them birds be warblin bloody "Poodle in the Snug" and "Pa's on the Chain Gang Now"
    some yank ditty from 19 bloody 20....bloody AWful, mate...them birds singin like a knackered Vera Lynn with the Sandoz gear comin' on strong...
    it was a bloody TIME it was....this was before most of ya yanks on this blog was in short pants ya would be....make no mistake, my sons,
    thems WAS a time them was!

bigal00769, budwhite, JoshD and 10 others like this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Wrong verb.

("Paging Dr. @footlooseman . . . ")

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember noticing that 4-22-78 had a Lost Sailor tease from Weir between songs early in the second set.

13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Nip it in the bud!
    [​IMG]

Bananas&blow, bzfgt, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[HIGGINS]
    Look at her, a prisoner of the gutter
    Condemned by every syllable she utters
    By right she should be taken out and hung
    For the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue

[ELIZA, spoken]
    Aaoooww!

[HIGGINS]
    Aaoooww!
    Heavens, what a noise!
    This is what the British population
    Calls an elementary education

[PICKERING, spoken]
    Come, sir, I think you picked a poor example

[HIGGINS]
    Did I?
    Hear them down in Soho square
    Dropping "h's" everywhere
    Speaking English anyway they like
    You sir, did you go to school?

[MAN]
    Wadaya tike me for, a fool?

[HIGGINS]
    No one taught him 'take' instead of 'tike'!

Hear a Yorkshireman, or worse
    Hear a Cornishman converse
    I'd rather hear a choir singing flat
    Chickens cackling in a barn
    Just like this one here

[ELIZA, spoken]
    Garn!

[HIGGINS]
    I ask you, sir, what sort of word is that?
    It's "Aaoooww" and "Garn" that keep her in her place
    Not her wretched clothes and dirty face
    Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?
    This verbal class distinction, by now
    Should be antique
    If you spoke as she does, sir
    Instead of the way you do
    Why, you might be selling flowers, too!

uzn007, WaterLemon, gedsmit and 3 others like this.
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This morning’s listening is Pacific Northwest ‘73-‘74: Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR, 24/06/73.

Whilst not as good as Vancouver from two days earlier—this is a solid, if unspectacular show. I mean, it’s decent enough, just not great.

The Dead are almost in autopilot mode as the 1st set seems a little dialled-in—there’s nothing really above and beyond, and things are fairly relaxed and languid throughout; still … I really love a swingin’, buoyant They Love Each Other, and this one is absolutely stellar with a killer groove and more bounce than a trampoline; and there’s a super-jammy, clean and crisp China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider with a unique non-Feelin’ Groovy transition between the two.

The 2nd set opens with a quite fantastic Mississippi Half-Step—listen out for Keith’s keys work, they’re damn glorious—before a wonderfully climactic outro; there’s a quietly contemplative, and always beautiful Stella Blue; a trio of strong, window-rattling rockers—Greatest Story Ever Told > Bertha, Big River that pick up the energy and ramp up the ante; then, coming towards the back-end of the set, an incredible Dark Star > Eyes Of The World > China Doll sequence, which is the undisputed highlight of the show—a delightfully trippy and hugely melodic slab of super-jammy, space-jazz exploration—it’s worth getting through the rest just for this.

Overall the show seems to lack a certain something, a je ne sais quoi—it seems quite pedestrian, I don’t know. Oh ok, maybe that’s too harsh a judgement.

I: Promised Land, Loser, Mexicali Blues, They Love Each Other, Looks Like Rain, Box Of Rain, Big Railroad Blues, Jack Straw, Sugaree, The Race Is On, Row Jimmy, Beat It On Down The Line, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Around And Around.

II: : Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, You Ain’t Woman Enough, El Paso, Stella Blue, Greatest Story Ever Told > Bertha, Big River, Dark Star > Eyes Of The World > China Doll, Sugar Magnolia.

E: One More Saturday Night.

[​IMG]
    1973/2018 Rhino Entertainment Company – R2 566110

16. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

That's such an amazing Wharf Rat, and I'll mention as I always do when this show comes up that the Sugar Magnolia that follows is tied with 2/1/78 for my favorite. (That one also follows a Wharf Rat.)

Bananas&blow, Eyes74, SJR and 3 others like this.
  17. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

I agree that late '72 was kind of a lost opportunity for China>Rider transitions. Garcia jams it out sometimes, but nothing like in '73. For me it's still jarring to listen to '72 C>Rs: Weir's finishing up his solo, you're ready for Garcia to step in, and....oops, they've started Rider already.
    The Veneta Bird Song is definitive, as far as the '72 performances.
    Veneta's PITB is also a step up. (But the Dark Star's a step down.)
    He's Gone, I think they had all the vocal parts in earlier ones that summer, but this is one of the last "early" versions before it had a jam....in September they would finally start jamming it out.

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Portland Town in June, summer rains coming along, Liberty Caps in full bloom. A mycelial experience this one.

19. bzfgt

Good point, I also noted that one as a top version. Also really great Bertha.

KCWhistle likes this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

That is one high-octane, coke-fuelled Wharf Rat—the whole 2nd set sequence is balls to the wall, then they cap it off with a wild OMSN. Love it.

21. bzfgt

9-15 and 11-13 have pretty developed mid-sections, I think, but Veneta is best C>R of year.

Funny you say that about Dark Star--I've often said it's grossly overrated, but I think today I dug it more than I ever have. Because I'm impressionable, though, now I worry I overrated it in my write-up!

22. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

Of any year

Bananas&blow, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  23. bzfgt

This made me laugh today

notesofachord likes this.
  24. bzfgt

There are some in 74 I'd rank higher. I don't assert that as strongly as some others here will, but when push comes to shove there are a good few that would get my vote over Veneta....11-11-73, 6-16-74. 6-26-74, 8-5-74, maybe 5-19-74...Veneta has a big place in my heart, though.

I mean, every 1974 version pretty much has a more developed transition. But I do love the 1972 sound for the pair, so Veneta is a nice thing where you get that and the jam.

MorningDew, KCWhistle, adamos and 6 others like this.
  25. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

Yes these are the right picks. I am separating best from favorite. Maybe I should say important.

And we did vote it number 1 in our tournament for what that’s worth.

I feel like the 73s and the monster versions of 74 don’t exist without whatever suddenly happened that day at Veneta