The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The first set has the second best version of "The Music Never Stopped" behind 5/9/77 Buffalo.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

3. bzfgt

boston 5-7

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

CHINA!

And when I get excited
    My little China Girl says
    Oh baby, just you shut your mouth
    She says... shh
    She says... shh
    She says...

I owe this place a post about GD music, never mind beefy-Ts nonsense.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    uzn007, SJR, Bananas&blow and 3 others like this.
  5. wavethatflag

I can't seem to get through the "Dark Star" on Dick's Picks Vol. 2: Columbus, OH 10/31/71 without interruption.

US Blues, SJR, Bananas&blow and 3 others like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Dave’s 30 1/2/70 / lots of magic sprinkled throughout. Bonus material from 1/3/70 is also wondrous. I’m a sucker for Cosmic Charlie, Mason’s Children & these early slow Black Peters.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love it all……but yes, Greek though Ventura.

8. wavethatflag

Hey, what the hell is the name of the Allmans adjacent jam after the Dark Star on Dick's 2? It ain't Spanish, it ain't Mind Left Body. Don't make me google . . .

There are definitely some Trey influences in this. Wait a minute!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Used to be called Tighten Up. Now some call it Soulful Strut.

i prefer the former:)

10. wavethatflag

D to the A to the H to the A to the benzapple. Thanks.

Yeah, I prefer Tighten Up. That's the name I forgot.

Oh nice, Sugar Mag. Gimme a hit off that, wouldja? I'm at a show right now. @bzfgt your turn to go get water. You can wait until after this one. Also you need a new handle because I "misspelled" it twice and had to look at one of your posts to get it right.

Ha! bzfgt had to go get water during St. Stephen. Nah, I wouldn't do that to anyone, but now you owe me a Nathan's Famous. And a KISS/GD shirt, so I can sartorially celebrate their many double bills at CBGB in the early days. Such rich history.

You can tell on Dave's Dick's 2 that they're going to distance themselves from St. Stephen pretty soon because there's not as much force in the doom-da-doom part right after they sing "spills."

True Love Ways! I mean, NFA! This reminds me of when I saw Jerry sit in with Buddy Holly at the Fillmore in '79. It was like me and three other people and no one knows about it so don't look it up. Also, keep your pot smoke out of my face, I hate that ****.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    US Blues, SJR, Bananas&blow and 4 others like this.
  11. wavethatflag

As I listen ot Jerry jam out in NFA, just before GDTRFB*, I think about how not enough has been written about the white hot Duane-Jerry rivalry, so I will do so at length now . . . .

*"Good Day, Tom, Real Funny By The Way" for you thread newbies. Getting aquainted with the rich and varied world of GD music can be a challenge, and if I can make it even more of one, I will.

12. wavethatflag

I know we're not supposed to talk about religion here, but listening to the sweet transition from GDTRFB to NFA, I feel indebted to Our Lady of Blessed Headphones. Will you bow your head with me?

13. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Thanks! I'm thinking I could use a parallel project while I'm going through the 1977 shows, and something like 1985 would be pretty significantly different.

LandHorses and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. wavethatflag

Eons ago, in this thread, I made some ridiculous comment about how Rhino should issue a new series of releases called Archtops, based on @Archtop's practice of listening to segments he finds high octane as opposed to full songs, jams or shows. Anyway, listening to Dick's 2, it's only six tracks and not very long by Dead standards, but it packs a lot of punch. I don't really care if they release partial shows or just segments of shows, in fact I like it. The St. Louis LP release, Light Into Ashes, that's nice to have. Just point me to the hottest part of a show and sell me that.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I know plenty here were on it, but I’ve always thought summer tour 85 would have been one of the most fun to be part of. The 80s were in the midst of excess, and yet the Dead just kept trucking along in their own little bubble. Crowds were large, but not unmanageable. Setlists were the most exciting they’d been in years. The band was on fire, and Jerry’s voice hadn’t completely deteriorated yet. All the cool venues were still on the Dead’s itinerary.

It really seemed like a super fun time to be a fan.

WaterLemon, trd, Blue Note and 8 others like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I had to stop and go to bed after the first set, and due to various circumstances it will probably be a few days before I get to Set II, but I’m looking forward to it.

US Blues and Bananas&blow like this.
  17. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

With Bonner Springs '91 chatter I just wanted to send a shout out to the first set of the first night of Summer 91 at Deer Creek - the tour opener.

6/6/91
    I
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Wang Dang Doodle
    Row Jimmy
    Black Throated Wind
    Big Railroad Blues
    Cassidy
    Might As Well

Smoking from start to finish. Blew the second set away I thought - though I've always been a first set fan. Here's the killer audience source to dial up.

6/6/91 Grateful Dead

Recorded by Pete Lebel (TS Beyer CM 101 > D6)

trd, US Blues, SJR and 4 others like this.
  18. wavethatflag

I'm listening to all the Dick's in order, but there's maybe one or two I don't have. Sort of jarring to go from '71 to '77.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That was a fun show and my first stop at that great venue. I made it there again to catch the runs in ‘92-‘95, the last one being a huge bummer of course.

trd and Bananas&blow like this.
  20. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

I did 90 and 91 at Deer Creek, great place, worth the schlep from the Northeast. I caught Deer Creek, Buckeye and Giants on that tour. Would love to have been at Bonner Springs but you get what you get! I think Deer Creek 90 was probably special in a similar way, smaller venue, rare tunes, good vibes.

Bananas&blow and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In '96 I began driving from Columbus (and, after I moved in '97, Chicago) to Deer Creek for shows, but before that I was restricting myself to concerts in the same state, so no Dead show for me in summer '95. Just as well.

22. bzfgt

Actually Jerry's voice was at its peak of deterioration, it stabilized and congealed into his mature voice a year or two later.

US Blues, Crispy Rob, track11 and 3 others like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've listened to it, don't remember it having as much fire. 6/4/77 in Los Angeles is another MNS I remember ranking near the top.

Crispy Rob and Bananas&blow like this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Take a listen to June-Aug 1985 then take a listen to DP21. Summer wasn’t great, but the fall was significantly worse.

Crispy Rob, Bananas&blow and bzfgt like this.
  25. bzfgt

Ah, I see what you're saying...

Bananas&blow and lucan_g like this.