The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Perhaps not in your physical music collection; the speed/pitch seems a bit fast, so getting the download and fixing that is better from a musical sense. The show is great stuff (for the '80's).

bzfgt and MorningDew like this.
  2. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

I listened to most of this today. It didn't have my undivided attention, as I was working while listening, but Wharf Rat is one of my favs (at least pre-hiatus; I prefer these because only Jerry sings on them). Anyway, Jerry's guitar is extra loud and crunchy on my SBD and the Wharf Rat is fantastic.

Speaking of Wharf Rats - someone mentioned opening night E72 - also a fan of this one. I like when the opening guitar strumming smoothly floats you away like a Persian carpet ride through a nitrous atmosphere. I don't care for live Dead with overdubs, so I avoid where I can.
    4/24/72 from Rockin' The Rhein has that awesome Wharf Rat coming out of that awesome Dark Star, Pt. 2. You know you've arrived when you hear Keith tapping on the pinky keys. And if that's not enough...the Sugar Magnolia is also outstanding.

But back to 9/28. I have some "alone time" to really dig in now.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For an 80's board, MSG 81 (and the other shows in the box, I think) is a good mix, I guess because it was a big enough room that Healy needed to set Garcia's guitar at a loud volume in the PA.

Bananas&blow and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Summer '71 sure is HARD TO HANDLE!

I know nearly everyone picks the Palladium 1971.08.06 as their favorite but I pick the 1971.08.07 San Diego one on DiP35.
    Colloquially known as the "shoot 'em saloon band."

Bananas&blow, Jimbobwe, ARK and 8 others like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Change that 1991 to 1993 in my case, otherwise same here.

Bananas&blow and US Blues like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The piano playing on the Skull and Roses Wharf Rat seems very similar to Jerry’s style on the Garcia (first) solo album, so my money is on him.

7. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

If you don't want the full box, but want to own something from this release, it is a solid show and it sounds great. I'd say it is worth it

uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

I recall this being talked about in one of the Deadcast episodes for Skull and Roses. Most of the commentators were sure it was Jerry playing piano on the overdubs

9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I’d say that 9/28 is the equal of the previous night. The run of He's Gone > The Other One > Me & Bobby McGee > The Other One > Wharf Rat is some of the best music I've ever heard.

Actually, just typing that I felt compelled to go back for a listen.

He's Gone is gorgeous. It eventually dissolves into a bare bones Phil/Billy jam over the last few minutes with a seamless transition into an an all time classic The Other One, easily one of my favorites. It's so subtle, taking it's sweet time to get where it's going, but it never drags for one second. Around 14 minutes in, the main theme kicks in again and the pace picks up big time through the vocals before going back to outer space. The jam that follows is genius, bordering on total insanity before breaking into near silence, Keith playing this beautiful little piano part and Weir going into Bobby McGee.

I can usually take or leave Me & Bobby McGee, but this one coming out of that jam lands perfectly. They go back to The Other One, into one of my favorite performances of Wharf Rat to close out the run. It's an unbelievable 60 minute stretch.

EDIT: I just realized this set keeps going after the Sugar Mag that follow. I'm not sure how my version missed this but now I've got to listen to the rest!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

the exception that proves the rule?

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

US Blues and Mr_Flanders like this.
  12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Somebody’s got to have put together a video of all the times Homer has ever said Stupid Flanders”. I’m putting the over/under on video length at 7:00.

KCWhistle and Mr_Flanders like this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It’s a rippin’ finale, too!

14. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I told my wife that I thought these two were responsible for launching the same-sex marriage initiative in Cuba. She had no idea who I was talking about.

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Maybe if I added “The” in front of my name, I’d get more likes.

16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Maybe if I added “BOX” after my name, I’d get more likes.

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

just gotta jiggle the handle

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've had a lousy tape of this second set since about 1983 and the meltdown before Bobby McGee I labelled as "Foam." I mean, it sounds like foam to me. Thick air mixed with a surfactant. The way Bobby McGee crystallizes out that passage is just exactly perfect, as you say. Phil lays down a lovely triple start near the very beginning of McGee (naturally on the 2, because Phil).

19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You now know him as Duffy Shrimpton.

Bananas&blow, Mad Dog, uzn007 and 6 others like this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

DICK’S
    VOLUME
    ONE

PICKS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

Poor kid had too much too fast

Bananas&blow and ARK like this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Latvala Volume Two
    Columbus, Ohio
    Halloween 1971
    [​IMG]

An hour of pure joy.

23. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I accept this as fair criticism for my transgressions.

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Your DP VOL 1 is in much better shape than mine. Mine got dragged around everywhere, and played in everything, when I first got it when it first came out. But I sure got my money’s worth. :D

25. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

Probably covered later in this thread (already)…..after Mickey left early in 71, the sound is stripped down, more focused, more “rock and roll bar band,” yes there are not 25, 30 minutes jams, a lot of new songs are introduced in 71 that take shape to become classic songs that are stretched out in 72, 73, 74. Playing comes to mind.

Pig is still alive, his contribution on stage are less but you still get hot Hard to Handle, Good Loving, Lovelight, etc, thru the summer 71.

Once Keith joins the band and gains his “sea legs” (checkout the 2nd half of fall tour 71) the next evolution of the GD has begun (stripped down Rock & Roll songs w/ ripping solos, to 20+ minute explorations, checkout the Other One from 10/29/71); Pig is back during December 71.

71 is a very fun year, my earliest tapes were from 71 (April) and is an excellent year to get folks into live GD shows for reasons listed above (high quality tapes were easily available for 1st half of the year).

As I recall fall 71 tapes did not circulate too widely so DiP #2 opened a lot of ears to the fall 71 (core 4 + Keith sprinkled in).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022