The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

We should note that it was at the Paramount Theater in Portland, during one of these 1977 shows, that the FOH SBD was in the balcony. While observing the show and mixing sound Dan Healy noticed that the singers would always put their feet down in the same place in front of their microphone to sing. Thus was born the idea for a floor switch to turn the vocal mics on and off, on for singing, off for sonic clarity. Serendipitous happenings in the PNW.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I need to listen to that. Looks tasty.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That's what I refer to as the floaty bit. So named because it's an extended pedal over the V7 chord. This creates the sensation that the V7 chord has become "home" or the I chord, but it's really still just the V7 chord. Since the V7 chord has dominant characteristics, it's a somewhat uncomfortable place to be. It wants to move back to the I chord, but they drag it out and build the tension by prolonging a chord that wants to move but now feels like home. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best part of any version of the track. I think that all versions prior to 4/24/78 were well less than 2 minutes, but 4/24/78 clocks in at ~2:02.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

2+ minutes is a long stretch.

KCWhistle and Archtop like this.
  5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yes it is. If y'all will forgive my somewhat, but not completely, off-topic diversion, the exact same technique is employed by the Junko Onishi Trio from 1:09-2:46 here (in this case, the chords are B7 to Emin and the resolution is more gentle than in TMNS, but I get the exact same sensation as I do when listening to TMNS):

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, the woods are lovely dark and deep.

US Blues and KCWhistle like this.
  7. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

:wave: October 2nd ...... today is the 35th anniversary of my first GD shows, Shoreline 1987.
    I had come down from Salem Oregon with a group of mostly strangers....
    As it turned out, a lifechanging decision ! :D

8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

There's now a recording of Elvis Costello 9/30/22 Great American Music Hall up on LL.

Elvis Costello and The Great American Beauties
    Great American Music Hall
    San Fransisco, CA
    September 30, 2022 (Late Show)

The Great American Beauties are . . .

Austin de Lone - keyboards, accordion
    Larry Campbell - guitar, fiddle, vocals
    Teresa Williams - vocals
    Ruth Davies - bass
    Paul Revelli - drums
    Allan Mayes - vocals, guitar
    Jim Lauderdale - vocals, guitar

Elvis Costello Sings Hunter/Garcia - a benefit for Prader-Willi Homes of California

Great show for an even greater cause. Elvis Costello puts a crack band together and plays two shows (early and late) of mostly Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia and Robert Hunter songs to benefit Prader-Willi Homes of California. PWHC is a nonprofit dedicated to creating a state-of-the-art residential center in the San Francisco Bay Area for people with Prader-Willi syndrome. Austin and Lesley de Lone are the founders. More info here . . .

Prader-Willi Homes of California

Gravenb recorded both the early and late shows. The late show is the longer, better, and better sounding of the two. Several Hunter/Garcia songs, a Rusty reunion, and other various tunes make up a great sounding and unique show. Caroline de Lone's opening song is included, but you can leave it off you version if you wish and the EC part will be complete. Samples below.

24bit 48K recording. If you still burn to CD, it's pretty easy to convert the files to CD specs. Most burning programs do it internally. If burning, divide the discs before Ship Of fools. If not, the show will play seamless.

CA-11 mics>CA Battery Box>Edirol R-09HR>>ProTools (for level adjustment, eq, compression, and song separation)>Flac

Taped by gravenb. Mastered by JB. Please don't sell. Please do not convert to lossy format and upload anywhere.

(1:55:23)

01. Introductions / Ashes performed by Caroline de Lone

Elvis Costello and The Great American Beauties
    02. Dire Wolf
    03. Brown-Eyed Women
    04. Loser / Wharf Rat
    05. Ramble On Rose
    06. China Doll
    07. Sugaree
    08. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dance Dance Dance - with Allan Mayes
    09. I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind - with Allan Mayes
    10. Surrender To The Rhythm - with Allan Mayes
    11. Ship Of Fools
    12. Dupree's Diamond Blues
    13. Friend Of The Devil - with Jim Lauderdale
    14. It Must Have Been The Roses - with Jim Lauderdale
    15. Tennessee Jed - with Jim Lauderdale
    16. Brokedown Palace - with Jim Lauderdale
    17. Alison - with Allan Mayes
    18. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Allan Mayes
    19. Ripple

9. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

probably be a spring 78 since Baltimore 77 was released this year.

10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! Yes, quite a mellow and spacey PITB. It was rather short, though. They’re such completely different animals to those earlier ‘72-‘74 beasts.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Have you heard that one from 01/10/77?

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

5/6 or 5/7/78 would do:)

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Elvis Costello sings Hunter/Garcia and Lowe.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I haven’t heard of this “hidden Star” from 21 Nov, ‘73 - but casting my mind back over the show (which I last listened to maybe two months ago) is it that segment of jamming between between “El Paso” and “Wharf Rat”? From memory, the transition is about four minutes long, with an A mixolydian flavour.

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yeah, that’s the one. A Dark Star Jam is within the 2nd PITB that segues into Wharf Rat. It’s a breathtakingly beautiful passage.

16. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

Also Keith's first Dark Star, and pretty darn good.

17. KeithGodchaux

That works too. I can't remember volume numbers, so I have to subtitle to keep the shows straight in my head. My buddies and I would always say "Time to get normal" when we were ready to smoke.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and Eyes74 like this.
  18. KeithGodchaux

I'm with you there - they set the bar on 4/24. It's the first thing I listen for when I hear a new '78 performance; in fact, I spent a ridiculous amount of time listening to just that part in my Music Never Stopped library several years back, just to see if there was another ringer. That's when I realized they started stretching it out as early as Fall '77 (I found something similar on the version from Road Trips October 1977). Dicks Picks 18 also has a pretty good run at it in February. They flirt with it for almost 3 minutes at The Fox on 4/10, but it's much looser / less intense.

Interesting musical breakdown of this "floaty part". I don't read music, but I pretend to play it once in awhile. I've never thought much about how they're manipulating the music to achieve that mesmerizing effect, but it makes sense in the terms as you described it.

19. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

of interest, perhaps, to those who like to hear some cover versions of the dead.... elvis costello did a gig at the great american music hall a few days back, doing garcia/hunter songs. a few days later (on oct 1) he did some of the same songs at the hardly strictly bluegrass festival.

for some reason there is a youtube link of a video of his whole one hour set - but its 'only up for a day' they say.... so check this out asap if you want.
    i like elvis costello, tho to be honest, he does ok-to-good but-not-amazingly great versions here of --- brown eyed women, loser, wharf rat ramble on rose and sugaree -definitely lots of points for effort, and interesting to hear them in his 'style' but ...a mixed bag... some are better then others- still, interesting and worth checking out

Billy_Sunday and uzn007 like this.
  20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I was thinking about how funny it would have been if Elvis had had Steve Nieve on organ, and he played all those jittery, hyperactive organ lines like the Attractions ca. 1978.

21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Steve played a Vox Continental, just like a certain other dude circa ‘66-‘67.
    [​IMG]

22. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

Nope, sounds like I'll have to check it out.

Bananas&blow and SJR like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

^^ He meant 1/10/78.

Bananas&blow and uzn007 like this.
  24. KeithGodchaux

I would to love to get a good Betty Board quality show polished up for release from November or December '78. Something with all of the Shakedown Street goodies. 12/30/78 would do nicely. It's a shame the SBD quality started going downhill by this time of the year, but maybe something came back in with the ABCD tapes. 12/30/78 would do nicely. Better yet 1/10/79.

25. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

FYI the Elvis Hardly Strictly video is up at dime.

uzn007 likes this.