The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No Betty Boards at that time, only cassette (although I think 2/17/79 was on the ABCD list).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I have never seen this photograph before. Just love seeing Pigpen's harps lined up on the organ.

Also, what amps are we seeing there? Looks like a Twin Reverb and a Showman plus possibly another Twin Reverb sitting on a cabinet.

3. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I'm listening to a Hot Tuna boot this morning, 4/4/73 Bananafish Gardens, never heard of that venue. Poking around this is the same place the Dead played at in 1970 under a different name. Setlist here says they covered John's Other, I did not know that. Anyone seen a show here?

You Need to Know about the Grateful Dead's Brooklyn Run in 1970 | Brooklyn Bowl

04-04-73
    Bananafish Garden, Brooklyn, NY
    w/Papa John Creach, Sammy Piazza
    aud>?>cdr, 2 cdrs
    Inside A Former Brooklyn Movie And Rock Palace, Now Showing Furniture - Gothamist

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

17 Feb 1979- Oakland Coliseum, was returned in the ABCD deal.

5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Yeah, with a 2x12 Kustom speaker cabinet in sparkly tuck and roll on top of the Twin. The Twin behind him is on a tiltback speaker cabinet like a Bandmaster or Showman.

6. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Didn't realize that Lauderdale was involved --- another great Hunter connection.

budwhite, uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  7. Deadhead Dave

Deadhead Dave The other half found me stumbling around...

My buddy and co-host was at 12/30/78 (as well as the little gig the following night...) and consistantly raves on how this may be the finest show he ever attended (and he has some REALLY big shows under his GD belt...).

I have tried on numerous occasions to listen to it, but it is one of those shows with multiple sources mashed together and I prefer super duper clean. I may have to torture myself with the sub par recording at some point.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

And now today, Oct.3, is the 35th anniversary of my second show ..... the one that I got extra enhanced at :winkgrin:..... the one where it hit me that the audience was essentially the same one as the night before, and that the band was really not repeating anything ....
    By the time Terrapin came around (I was somewhat aware of the album title) .... I was having all kinds of cosmic revelations .... now I understood why folks would want to go to every show they could !

:bdance:

9. US Blues

A very nice AUD recording came into circulation for 30 Dec 1978, dead center and front row of the back balcony iirc. The roar of approval for Dark Star gave me chills. :agree:

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

^^ You mean 12/31/78, I think?

US Blues likes this.
  11. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

No balcony at Pauley, much less a Dark Star. :p

warewolf95, US Blues and uzn007 like this.
  12. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

I'll take it!

warewolf95 and E_Braunn_Fan like this.
  13. brock

brock Forum Resident

Hey all --

I just posted a separate thread about this, but I thought it was worth mentioning here. I've created a website containing all the Grateful Dead cover art I've created over the years, to share the covers with anyone who might find them useful. You can see the website here: Grateful Dead Cover Art 1968-1983

And here are a couple sample covers, FYI:

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Brock

14. brock

brock Forum Resident

Tying again to make sure the images post:

[​IMG]

15. US Blues

Drat! Foiled again by the SpaceTime Continuum! :nyah:

YouCantWin likes this.
  16. JerryBlue

JerryBlue Always Grateful

I didn't know about this podcast, until YT proposed it to me today:

(It's always strange when a movie about a band or an artist doesn't contain music by that band or artist).

17. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Documentary, eh? I'd call that a podcast.

18. JerryBlue

JerryBlue Always Grateful

You're right, I'm sorry.

19. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

12/13/78 would be my pick. I love that show it has a great Candyman, Loser, and Shakedown Street.

Plus, Keith always played great at Curtis Hixon Hall.

20. MorningDew

MorningDew Forum Resident

There were recent posts about "The Music Never Stopped" and DaP 7 was lauded. I get the discussion about the "floaty bit", but this made me go back to DiP 3 from 5/22/77. I prefer this version for several reasons. The two drummer and Phil disco backbeat is tighter. The vocals are better, none of Bobby's coked up hamming that's found in Normal, and Donna sounds great too. But most of all, Jerry's playing in this tune and the following Sugaree is just tops.

When they emerge from the "floaty bit" at 3:39, his syncopated licks are perfect. Then from 4:41 until the close it just builds and builds. Everyone is on fire. Jerry closes the peak with some great fanning. This remains my favorite version, even though the "floaty bit" is shorter than most.

21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Everyone is certainly entitled to view floaty bits with their own degree of preference/priority. While I do like intense GD, I tend to prefer tension-building semi-ambiguity. It's a less obvious form of intensity.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From around that date I remember 6/4/77 being quite a good "Music."

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I checked out TMNS from 7-12-90 yesterday after reading this sub-thread. While not an all-timer, it is very hot, and a reminder of just how hot Jerry's soloing was at this time. There's video out there if you don't mind a shaky camera.

24. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

9/30/76 (Columbus): Crazy Fingers>It's All Over Now :D:D:D

Crazy Fingers is one reason I love 76, and this one is 16 minutes of mellow gold followed by some fine foot-stompin'.

25. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Continuing my explorations of Europe '72. Got through 5/3/72 today, and now listening to the first set of 5/4/72 before bed. Looking forward to that second set on 5/4 for tomorrow's listening.

Listened to the pre-'71 material on So Many Roads and Rare Cuts Oddities 1966 yesterday, I now crave more Pig Pen era only Dead. My 2nd favorite era behind '72-'74

ARK, jgrillo, Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.