The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

No, you have to find the, shhhhh, bootleg for that. :shh:

2. US Blues

Under Eternity Blue.

3. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

LOL, if you’d heard it on the RT version, you’d have to be on a higher plane than the rest of us.

4. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

You may have been thinking of the part of China Cat where he slips into "I've Been Working on the Railroad" for a bit. That always puts a smile on my face.

5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Hey, that means a lot sharing that with me/us. Thank you so much. Hell, that actually brought a tear to my eye :p

Like you said about yours, my Nana is very much an institution for us :) I was at the bedside when my other grandmother took her final breaths. That was the hardest thing I've ever experienced. I've been mentally preparing for this grandmother's passing for a long time now. Not to be morbid, but just because it's realistic.

When she passes I know we will all definitely feel VERY relieved. I hate seeing her being so down constantly because she's not at the level of life-living she was accustomed to.

But gosh darn if that won't be the hardest day I'll have ever experienced. I just pray we come home from work and find her in her living room chair, or that she just doesn't wake up for breakfast one morning, ya know? She deserves better than another hospital visit.

She absolutely refuses any help of any kind. I'm almost not exaggerating when I say, if she was on fire, and I was standing by with a hose, she would rather go find another hose and put herself out than ask me to spray her.

:(

But her stubborness is one of the best things about her in a way because it definitely has kept her ticking, I believe. She just will not give up, but unfortunately she has reached the point where she is starting to and it's heartbreaking.

6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

7/16/94 RFK Stadium. It only lasted about 10 seconds, but I noticed it as it happened.

16 Space.flac 7/16/94 Grateful Dead

Go to the Space track and it happens between 12:00 and 13:00.

It was the highlight of both RFK 94 shows.

KeninDC, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  7. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I the new SBD from another source or just an improvement to what already circulates but based on the same source. I always thought San Antonio 72 might be a really good show if it sounded better but the low quality of what circulated kept one from really knowing.

footlooseman and US Blues like this.
  8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

You mentioned it before. I just listened to “Playin,” the “China Doll” outro, and the reprise trying to only focus on Brent, and I can’t seem to hear it.

Unless you’re trying to pull a fast one on me……which is pretty easy to do.

US Blues likes this.
  9. US Blues

This one time I am being sincere. ;)

iirc- it is right after verses as they ease into the jam.

LandHorses likes this.
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

A better source, from Bob Menke's 1st gen soundboard reels. My previous "go to" was pretty banged up although still very listenable. I typically don't let sound quality get in the way of enjoying a show, to a certain point of course.

11. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

Age, and aging, and loss. Incredibly hard things we all endure, ourselves and our loved ones. I don’t have anything profound to say, but I am grateful for this company we all keep and I’m glad we can be there for each other in this curious virtual fashion.

profusion, hyde park, adamos and 10 others like this.
  12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The breadth of discourse and imagery today alone makes this the best thread on the interthang. :thumbsup:

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cal Expo ‘89 among, I believe, a few times, though offhand I can’t remember if it was 8/4 or 8/6. Also, the Hamdsome Cabin Boy jam during Space came up at the Spectrum in ‘87 as well as aforementioned 9/12/90, and also Landover 3/17/93.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The quoted lineage is probably not correct. There are unknown generations between Bob’s reel and the source recording(s), which themselves may vary (cassette vs. reel)

15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Interesting, thanks. Just curious, does that type of thing happen often?

16. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Odd looking beach cow.

US Blues and fishcane like this.
  17. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Venturing out today to the fringes of the East Bay. And the fringes of the cosmos, to boot.

[​IMG]

18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yea the camel looks pretty odd as well

Archtop, ARK, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

High-yooo!!!

ARK and US Blues like this.
  20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

For the time periods when there was not a consistent approach to recording. In this case Bear's R2R was dying (11/17/72 was the last well-recorded full show of the month) and the cassette recorder(s) used for backup weren't high quality.

johnnypaddock and uzn007 like this.
  21. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Just finished up Dick's Picks 14 disc 4 from 12/1/73. Really great PITB starting it off. Stella Blue ripped my soul apart.

Following that up with 6/24/73 Dark Star from the PNW box set, now playing. This jam is a real sleeper hit for me. Each listen brings it more to life. This jam is not on the PNW compilation Believe It If you Need IT.

22. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Bzfgt syndrome finna light a false alarm Zafu beacon

23. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Can anyone recommend a good version of I Know You Rider in terms of them singing in harmony? Europe 72?

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Emergency Crew

US Blues, AintGotHalfOf and Eyes74 like this.
  25. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Looking for electric versions I assume? I would think '70 is when the harmonies peaked, although obviously not a bevy of great tapes to choose from. Maybe something like 5/15/70 late show.

Eyes74 likes this.