The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

1 December 1979- Stanley Theater, Pittsburgh

The SBD recording of this show came into general circulation soon after the event, a blessing to the community as this was a special performance. A genuinely open-ended and exploratory jam in Set 2 sets this one apart from other period shows, and the fact that we all knew it from a great sounding SBD recording seemed a miracle. Listening to this show is like visiting with an old and trusted friend.

2. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

6/9/73 Eyes>China Doll :D:D:D

3. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Petition to release 12-01-73 as a Dave's Picks--we need the whole run.

Jerry, shadowcurtain, Zafu and 7 others like this.
  4. US Blues

The Dick's Picks 14 Box Set, aka. We Goofed.

Jerry, mBen989, shadowcurtain and 9 others like this.
  5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

As you say, this one has always been very widely-circulated, so it's one that a lot of us older heads (from the cassette days) have heard hundreds of times. I'll often go back to this show after a few years and think "Oh yeah, it really is that good!"

US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Thread has inspired me to pull DP 14 off the shelf. Quality start to my December...

shadowcurtain, US Blues, Zafu and 6 others like this.
  7. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

Someone actually made a list for '76 Jams:

Grateful Dead Guide: The 1976 Out-Of-Nowhere Jams

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That second set (in particular, the China--> Rider and the Gloria jam) was half of my bus ticket in early January 1982. The other half was the Alligator jam--> Going Down the Road from 4/29/71.

Edit: So I slapped in my XL-II of 12/1/79 and damned if that tape doesn't still play just fine. In the China--> Rider transition...interesting that by this time, it's Jerry's work in Rider that makes this stand out. The transition is given less of a focus.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    KeithGodchaux, uzn007, ARK and 5 others like this.
  9. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 12/1/79[Pittsburgh Pa]on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Jack Straw.

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

11. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Me too bro.

uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I would buy that so quickly if I saw it in a store.

13. US Blues

1 December 1973- The Music Hall, Boston

AWOL from Dick's 14, this is a show that needs to be heard. The transition into UJB in Set 2 will, in fact, Steal Your Face.

Jerry, adamos, KCWhistle and 11 others like this.
  14. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

As I've shared, that was the first night I believe, any of us East Coasters heard that transition. The place was melting. Though it wasn't the first meltdown of the evening; hardly. After the night before I entered the 2nd night already melted and brokedown in the first set pretty much lifted me back up to paradise. It's shocking how detailed I recall those shows and that particular moment recognizing what they were transitioning to. Acid had that effect on me. It left so many incredible moments etched into my memory cells. It's truly a gift that after all these years I still recall the experience and musical live moments with such clarity.

I appreciate Dick and may he RIP, but this was a really bad decision, to release only 2 of the 3 and not even the entire two.

Zafu

15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Yeah, but what did you have for breakfast last Tuesday?

16. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

DaP 42 tonight. You know it's good stuff when you're dancing to Ship Of Fools :cool:

17. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

lol true dat

US Blues likes this.
  18. lilbud

lilbud Forum Resident

anyone wanting to listen should go grab the clugston SBD source, excellent really clear mix. Bob is mixed high, and the stereo is fun (Keith and Phil left side, Bobby right side, Jerry center)

EDIT: this is a really groovin TLEO, some serious gourmet s**t

19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

1/17/68 Carousel Ballroom
    Dark Star > China Cat Sunflower > The Eleven > Feedback

Crispy Rob, adamos, dgwint and 3 others like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

So, earlier tonight I’m sitting in a local restaurant with the wife and bub and I’m wearing my Garcia “Tiger” cap … when only some other bloke wanders on in wearing a Bob Dylan t-shirt and the very same Garcia “Tiger” cap—this is extremely rare round these parts—and he clocks me. He moseys over and says, “I saw your hat and had to come over and say something. Jerry is my main man.” His wife, totally nonplussed, didn’t get what the fuss was about. It was then he shows me his Jerry tattoo that covered his whole forearm. Totally sweet. I detected an English accent, too. This bloke may yet be my new bestie, if I ever see him again. We went back to our tables of beer and fried chicken. I think we made each other’s night. Good stuff.

21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Great story!

KCWhistle, Zafu, SJR and 1 other person like this.
  22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Posse forming underway, gonna be giving the lads a reckoning before long…

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I hope he’s local and I see him around again. He was older, like my dad’s age, and English (more northern than that southern shandy drinking Duffy) so could quite possibly have seen the Dead in England or Europe back in the day.

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

25. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Nothing like the rare Australian Deadhead siting. Love this story!

SJR, Zafu, US Blues and 1 other person like this.