The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Best 2-3 shows of that 2 month period would be enough for me at the moment.

US Blues likes this.
  2. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Baltimore ;)

US Blues and BMac19 like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Try the two shows from Merriweather Post Pavilion (30/06/85 & 01/07/85).

Crispy Rob, US Blues, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  4. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Having just done most of the June tour following advice from @LandHorses, I’d recommend 6/30/85 as the best of the lot. Either 6/24 or 6/27 would be my next stop. Hunter Seamons has done a matrix for almost every show of the tour, so the sound quality is also very good.

WaterLemon, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  5. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Thanks. Looking at Relisten and on paper it seems like that last week of shows in June from Alpine through July is where it's at. I'll have to poke around there.

US Blues and SJR like this.
  6. headcoat

headcoat Forum Resident

I'm curious, what do people think of Ready or Not. Bought the CD a couple of weeks back and really love it, particularly Lazy River Road, So Many Roads and Days Between. Garcia's voice positively echos with autumnal melancholy. There's a life lived in every vocal. Overall such a laid back mellow groove. I have to admit I'm enjoying every song.

Am I mad? What would the boys down the Arms have to say?

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It’s a tremendous tour. I went through it earlier this year (if you want to look back at my notes) on @LandHorses recommendation, and boy, it did not disappoint. There’s a reason he keeps banging on about a SPAC > Hershey > Merriweather x 2 box set.

8. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Hey, if you love the Grateful Dead baby, let me see you light up for the Grateful Dead.

Crispy Rob and Eyes74 like this.
  9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Piss off. Thems not ye Gratefuls my son.

10. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Check out this first set Fire from 7/13/85. Gets me every time...listen to the crowd blissing out, Mickey's snapping his bungee chords. Here's another 85 moment. First set Sportatorium 10/26, feel the energy of the crowd as they go into Gimme Some Lovin'. For this period in particular I prefer good quality audience tapes. The boards sound stiff and are less forgiving on Jerry's larynx. In my dream Betty stuck with the band into the eighties and insisted they stick to the reels and the truck out back..

11. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

I like Ready or Not. It's the wide-release album to represent the Vince era like E'72 and Without A Net represents the Pig/Keith and late-Brent eras respectively and is a nice follow up to the Without A Net/Infrared Roses albums. It's sort of ties up loose ends in that it provides closure on the original catalog before it became all about archival releases and then Jerry died, and gives some attention to lesser-known Dead 'hits' like Liberty, Lazy River Road, So Many Roads, Days Between, some jamming in Corrina and some songs that some hate but some enjoy, like Easy Answers, Way To Go Home, and Samaba In The Rain. I think it works great as an ultimate album for the original catalog.

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Yep. That's how I felt about Disc 5 of the SMR Box Set. But since lots of folks don't have that... I agree this is a nice addition.

13. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Gandalf popped in for a pint and he said "all you can do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you". Personally I would choose another way to spend my time. I suffered through "Easy Answers" from the Wasserman CD earlier today and as such I strongly counsel to pursue a different path. Great googly moogly, that was awful.

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

15. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

I'm with you. I like those three songs in particular, a lot. Lazy River Road has such a mellow-Jerry vibe to it. I know most people don't love it, but it's great stuff, if you ask me. Days Between is similar and I think its the last great Hunter/Garcia song. It's so slow, deep and emotionally intense, I think a lot of people can't get into it. But it's great. It's a mood.

So Many Roads is great, too. I'd guess it's more widely loved than anything on Ready or Not. Liberty has also grown on me a bit. I'm learning to like that one. It's almost like a Jimmy Buffett song, in a way, and I mean that as a compliment.

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

SJR likes this.
  17. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Thank you !!!!!!!

ordered.

Mac gear does the heavy lifting in my home system too, so couldn’t resist. Great shirt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Billy_Sunday, US Blues and fishcane like this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I bought one too….still running mc monos and an cd transport so also couldn’t resist lol

US Blues and Zafu like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Bloody organ grinder! Never got a proper talking to.

shadowcurtain, bzfgt and SJR like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If Lazy River Road had been released in the 70s… people would think very differently.

The one thing that bothers me a bit on this song is Bobby’s rhythm playing… but I do like the song a lot.

headcoat and US Blues like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It's a great song. I was never clear why Bobby was playing a table saw during this one, a guitar would have sounded so much nicer. :doh:

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

“Liberty” is actually an older In The Dark era song. Robert Hunter recorded a version of it in 1988 having it sound similar to “Touch of Gray.”

I bought this CD back when it came out.

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yo, Dave … another that needs releasing (pretty please) — Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, NC, 08/12/73.

Actually, just bundle it all together in that December ‘73 box set that’s coming.

I: Me And My Uncle, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Dire Wolf, Black-Throated Wind, They Love Each Other, Me And Bobby McGee, Don’t Ease Me In, The Race Is On, Brown-Eyed Women, Big River, Candyman, Weather Report Suite, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider.

II: Around And Around, Ramble On Rose, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Greatest Story Ever Told > Bertha, He’s Gone > Truckin’ > Nobody’s Fault But Mine > The Other One > Wharf Rat > Stella Blue, Johnny B. Goode > Uncle John’s Band.

E: One More Saturday Night.
    [​IMG]

24. OhioHead

OhioHead Forum Resident

^ not expensive enough for my wallet ;), I mean the $1,500 backlight empty McIntosh really impresses my friends w/ it’s “soundstage, 3d imaging, etc.”

Seriously who (stills) wears black t-shirts in public? Why not grey?

25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Some of us don’t go out in public and certainly wouldn’t be caught dead at home in a grey shirt

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022