The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

This is a cocaine fueled party. Great drums/space. I enjoyed Jerry steamrolling the ending of "I Need A Miracle" into a blowfest hyperspeed Bertha that rocks. Cool jam into China Doll. I really liked the 80's CC/Rider. Different animal from those amazing early 70's versions but some great moments. Really enjoyed this show. Maybe a sleeper in the set. Not perfect. Some sloppy moments. Ragged human voice. Real. Passionate. Fun. I'm out!

2. Try a tribute record, Deadicated still being the best of the lot. If he can't hack the vocals by the boys, see if he at least likes the songs. The one-two punch of Los Lobos' take on "Bertha" and Bruce Hornsby's version of "Jack Straw" is about as a good a record opener as I know of. The songcraft really is baseline on this. If people like the hit cover version of a song enough, it's possible that they'll eventually open their minds enough to appreciate the original.

If he's at all a Bob Dylan fan, eventually he may eventually come around on the singing. But if he isn't a Dylan fan, he may inhabit that bland-o Pop Snob zone- people who prefer Barry Manilow and Pat Boone to singers who don't meet their conditioned standards of vocal purity. We speak here of the majority of the "public", aka "the market."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  3. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

As with Anthem, the 50th of Aoxomoxoa has both mixes, which I believe is the first-ever digital release of the '69 mix. That would be essential if you prefer that album to be weirder and trippier. Unlike Anthem, I prefer the '71 remix of Aoxomoxoa, so I haven't yet gotten the anniversary edition, but it might happen eventually.

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

A Greek box set would either be 82-84 or 87-89. David Lemieux hates everything 85, and the 86 shows would cause a huge revolt. (86 was my first Greek and first Bay Area shows, so I enjoy listening to them).

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Twenty Years So Far would have some of the best cover art ever!

[​IMG]

6. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Has he said this or are we inferring from the incredible lack of officially released 85 shows?

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

ahead of the times . i must have a crystal ball ;)

Bananas&blow, US Blues and Eyes74 like this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

AOXOMOXOA or whoever its spelled it essential for the mixes

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

No! Psychedelics need to be used responsibly, especially heaven and hell.

10. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

9/15/73 (Providence) first set seems to only circulate as an aud, but it's nice and clear and the Bird Song and PITB are definitely worth a listen.

The second set features the horns and I can see why they dropped them. The LIG horn jam is interesting but otherwise they seem to hinder the jams instead of adding to it, especially on Eyes. This certainly isn't 3/29/90.

11. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

12. John AB

John AB Forum Resident

With all these musicians selling rights to their music what is the dead studio catalogue and dead live catalogue worth to someone who wanted to own the rights ? $500 million ? $1 billion?

unlike most artists, they've got such an enormous catalogue and a fervent fan following. Every year there are tens of thousands future deadheads being generated that will want to own this music

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

For the record, I don't particularly care for the singing either, and yet I own some $5,000 of GD CDs, continue to subscribe and consider them my favorite rock band. To me, the important question lies in how one feels about intrepid improvisation that not only wasn't brilliantly executed by any other rock band; it wasn't even attempted. At their best, GoGD are so far out there, asymptotically approaching madness, that they have no comparables, let alone equals.

14. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

9/17/73 (Syracuse) Truckin' is lots of fun, best horn track of the three horn shows I've heard so far. Sounds like it took them a couple shows to figure it out, but this is a sweet jam.

15. I'm more interested in the fate of all of the songwriters currently being ripped off by outfits like Spotify.

Matthew Tate and rbbert like this.
  16. LandHorses

Not outright……..but occasionally here and there, I’ve seen (not by me) reply requests on his Twitter posts about 1985…..and he responded along the lines of “Really? There’s interest in 85?” like he was shrugging it off and not interested.

Bananas&blow and US Blues like this.
  17. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

That sucks! Still, if we wait long enough, one day even David will have to sing those praises of those shows as the well I’d depleted for the more popular years.

Bananas&blow and bzfgt like this.
  18. LandHorses

One of my favorite logos. You have an instant front cover and Twenty Years So Far title for a Summer 85 box set.

19. John AB

John AB Forum Resident

That's a very helpful comment

20. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

Their vocals suit the music and I find them all very charming. Not the best technically at all but could convey feeling that was very real.

frightwigwam and adamos like this.
  21. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

You read my mind

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs likes this.
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's all on the same street.

23. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Is that like a Royal flush or something?

24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I don't know if it's a must-have, but I like 7-2-71 from the Skull & Roses anniversary edition. Great version of "Sing Me Back Home," among others.

Bananas&blow and US Blues like this.
  25. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Listening to the Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast on Veneta 72 --

Those multis!! **** me!!

Bananas&blow and Islands like this.