The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, as the song goes, a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down but I prefer another song about a spoonful.

2. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 3/23/74(Cow Palace) on TIGDH on SiriusXM’s Grateful Dead channel via the webstream now playing Playing In The Band.

3. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It already has been though: high fructose corn syrup, the crack of the sugar world.

mBen989 and ARK like this.
  5. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Anyone know:

How old is Rob Barraco of Phil & Friends, Dead, DSO? Google says he’s 53 but I am sure he’s much older than that. I believe his first Grateful Dead show was Nassau Coliseum in September 1973, so someone is probably putting up false information

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

DaP 22 (12/7/71) tonight. No big jams but absolutely rocking. Hopefully we'll get the rest of the Felt Forum run (12/4 &5/71) released soon.

7. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

The cocaine on this 78 box is off the charts. Just intense energy and volume and silliness. So much fun.

8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

This Truckin' is so much fun. Bob is goofing off with the falsetto and the goofy voices throughout. Good times.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

When things became legal and labeled, I realized that sativa really agrees with me, and indica not so much (but I could see it being better at bedtime). Sativa smoked in a bowl is ideal for me, or rolled when seeing live music.

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Seattle 6/14/94. I was there, but had blocked it out of my mind. Way to Go Home wasn’t bad, but overplayed (I saw over 60 shows in ‘93, so got more than my share). Samba was awful, maybe Hunter’s worst lyrics other than Ugliest Girl in the World (which Dylan liked for some reason), and musically never really seemed to gel.

adamos, Phoenician and KCWhistle like this.
  11. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Weird how it all effects everyone different.

Crispy Rob and johnnypaddock like this.
  12. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of the Fender bass, either. Now if they could only discover all the reels from Boulder '72, that would be something!

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

[​IMG]
    Grateful Dead, Sage & Spirit. Every track on this compilation has been released at least 15 different times in five or six different formats. These are all the studio versions of these songs. This was voted 2019 Least Special RSD Release. But this and the Warfield 1980 release were the first vinylz I'd bought since the early 80s.

This is great to put on when you don't want to commit to a show. Or if someone stole your copy of Go To Heaven and you need your Sailor>Saint versión de estudio.

Two Jerry tracks and three Weir tracks. Someone's sending a message. I'm tired of Lemieux's Weir bias. That's right, I said it.

Yup, I wrote "vinylz" up there. Been nice knowing you guys . . . .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Billy_Sunday, adamos, mBen989 and 5 others like this.
  14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

15. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's amazing that pot made me a lot less paranoid after it became legal. Who woulda thunk it?

16. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Paranoia was a very real thing in Thatcher’s Britain of the 80’s. I remember once, Christmas it was, we were all sitting around smoking when we heard a great kerfuffle outside; someone peeked out through the curtains and saw loads of uniforms bundling out from the back of a white van… BUST! As you can imagine there was great deal of panic with paraphernalia flying about all over the place.
    After waiting an eternity for the inevitable bang on the door… nothing!
    Someone took another peek… S’alright everyone, it’s just the Salvation Army out carol singing!

Back then it was all hash, lovely imported Red Leb or Afghan Black. I think the only weed we ever got hold of was Jamaican, bought from a very dodgy pub in Ipswich.

To bring it back to the band, no one I knew ever played the Grateful Dead, no one. Just wasn’t on the radar - weird!

budwhite, dtuck90, adamos and 7 others like this.
  17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

That brings to mind a long forgotten time in 1969 when we were renting the top floor of a two-storey house in Pasadena. We looked out the window and saw cop cars pulling up in front of the house and a slew of police running out of them with handguns and rifles at ready. We started gathering up the copious amount of pot, hash, psychedelics and coke (definitely "intent to sell" quantities) that we had scattered around the place and dropped them down a hole in the wall that went down to the foundation knowing that there was still more around stashed in forgotten places. We sat waiting for the door to be busted in and pondering what the next 20 years in jail would be like.
    After about what seemed like an eternity we gathered the courage to look out the window again to see the police herding out members of the large group of Jehovah's Witnesses who lived next door. It appears they had been keeping a large stash of weapons there. Never did find all of our stash even after hours of searching under the house.

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Meet you in the pouring rain...

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle and mBen989 like this.
  19. US Blues

Those religious cults always get into weaponry. Psychotic.

KCWhistle, mBen989, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  20. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

I had a strange Dead coincidence too yesterday. I sent my cousin one of those Sunshine Daydream shirts from dead.net a couple months ago. It's been too cold for t-shirts so he didn't get a chance to wear it until yesterday. My sister-in-law texted a picture of him in it. I was at a red light listening to the Sunshine Daydream coda when the it came in.

21. US Blues

24 March 1973- The Philadelphia Spectrum

Great goodness from Philly.

NP: Playing In The Band.

22. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Also listening to 3/24/73 today. China>Rider np.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

This says his first show was NYC March 1972, and that he first heard the Dead a bit earlier at age 14. So yes, wrong birth year in his Wiki entry. Interview: Rob Barraco discusses Dark Star Orchestra’s grateful groove

KeithGodchaux and Cryptical17 like this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You never heard the classic hymn "God Gave Us This Land and He Also Gave Us These Tanks so **** Off" ?

25. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

The 9/14 Egypt show has a really messed up vocal mix. Kind of a bummer.

US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.