The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I always try to hit my snare super hard after the “crackled like a thundercloud” in Shakedown.

frightwigwam, Zafu, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  2. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Take notes, kids, this is how it's done.

shadowcurtain, Zafu, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  3. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

I didn't realize how much that coma break changed their sound til I listened to all those early/mid 80's in a row and then the 87. The change in sound from 79-86 is very gradual in comparison to 86-87.

4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, that's really interesting. I saw three shows in '86 and then a bunch from '87 onward. I wasn't in a position to listen critically and I've never done that sort of chronological run-through of the 80s like you're describing.

US Blues and Eyes74 like this.
  5. Eyes74

It was a visceral feeling, like it wasn't even the same band. It felt like a bigger change than from 71-72 or from 78-79 even. Both Keith and Brent changed the sound, but in a more gradual way. 66-67 is the quantum leap though - a performance of Midnight Hour irrc (9/3/67).

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

It is. It makes sense given the circumstances that they simplified it with Jerry coming back though.

notesofachord, US Blues and Eyes74 like this.
  7. Eyes74

He sounds slower for sure, but slowing down gave them a new found control that allowed them to reach the heights of 89-90.

notesofachord, ARK, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Yup and I think they also allowed Brent more leadership in their sound plus they hit their commercial peak meaning they kind of had to become a bit more conservative and polished.

ARK, Holler Wanderer and Eyes74 like this.
  9. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

This is a great show and a fantastic recording. Real lean as a 5 piece here briefly. The Bertha is top notch as is MAMU.

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

If you want the big jolt..........listen in entirety to 7/7/86 and 12/15/86 right after.

Since the Jerry in Red period is my favorite listening (I call it 83-86 even though no red tshirts until 85), I sometimes wonder if Jerry didn't get sick and kept going, how the band wouldv'e continued sounding in 1987 and beyond.

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I always wonder how they'd have sounded if they did not take a hiatus in '74. They were going places.

12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Mickey had some kind of cannon on stage for a while. I think it gets briefly discussed in one of the Deadcast episodes but I don’t recall the details.

I just took a quick look for a photo but couldn’t find one. However someone on Reddit mentioned that at 36:25 in this Woodstock Love Light video you can sort of see Mickey set something off that could be it. There’s a noise and some smoke; it doesn’t sound quite as loud as the sound in St. Stephen but that could also be related to proximity to the mic in this particular performance.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  13. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Typo aside (how does that happen?), cool to have such a low number. Must sound better now.

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Nice choices!

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs likes this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No

16. JerryBlue

JerryBlue Always Grateful

Very nice tale for my evening (late night after work).

notesofachord, adamos and Zafu like this.
  17. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

18. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

So wild they just busted out DS for the first time in four years. I like the sound of Donna in it, for sure

19. US Blues

The Closing of the Winterland was a very special occasion. There was also a banner hanging from the balcony which read "1535 Days Since The Last SF Dark Star."

20. US Blues

It's different with vinyl. They are still getting crud out of the stampers for the first couple of hundred discs. :shh:

21. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

@US Blues begins a new trend. Love it. The higher the number, obviously the better; as the initial crud is disposed of :laughup::evil:

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I tried to listen to the 9/9/72 TOO yesterday and I think it short circuited every synapse in my body, so I had to take it off. Gonna give it another go right now.

23. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Spinning the Bear’s Choice 50th vinyl again this Saturday morning. This is it. I’m finally getting “Black Peter.” The majesty of the song and the inevitable tragedy and finality of the lyrics is sinking into my body. Simply stunning. This band still holds so many surprises for me.

I spent last weekend in Los Angeles, flying over for a mere five days from Australia to see Dead&Co at the Forum. Friday night was my first Dead(-related) show, and I expect Saturday will have been my final opportunity. I know people here will tell me it’s not the Dead, but this is as close as I will ever get and I feel so fulfilled by my experience. The lot scene, the kindness of strangers who became friends, and my god the music. Being in a room with 18,000 people singing and dancing along to the songs that have soundtracked the last few years of my life was an amazing feeling that I’ll carry with me for the rest of my life. I’m still processing the whole thing, but I felt the need to share it here within the place that really pushed me onto the bus a few years ago. Love is real…

24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm glad that you got to experience that and that you at least got some sense of the camaraderie that pervaded the crowds, at least from '82-'85 for me.

25. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

The 24/192 of bear's choice has to be definitive. There is no way the vinyl could have the dynamic range that this version has. That said, my spouse told me she is not a fan of pigpen. Oh well.