The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The re-mastered version of Steal Your Face is a significant step-up in sonic quality from the original. David Glasser used some modern mastering stuff in the digital realm that really cleaned up the sound to brought out the music.

2. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

After a week off from the Dead following nothing but June '76 shows, I'm back on the bus with a re-listen to 1972/09/10 Los Angeles, CA which is another hit from Fall '72, with big jams in Bird Song, PITB, He's Gone, Dark Star.

[​IMG]

3. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

10/31/91 DS: I forgot I've heard this before, with the Kesey rap on BG's passing. All the years combine :nyah:

4. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

While Around and Around is by no means a favourite... I don't mind it. At times like on One From the Vault, it's quite good.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    frightwigwam, Crispy Rob, ARK and 2 others like this.
  5. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

A&A is not a fav for me either but the 10/6/77 version smokes.

6. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

On the other side, Promised Land gets old as it was played a ton but there are times where they tear the roof off with it and I love Jerry's backing vocals on the final verses. Gets me every time.

7. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

I just listened to 3/28/1973 yesterday and that version is a blast.

Post-hiatus versions are usually the offenders for me, but even then we can be treated to some blistering Jerry soloing. Just need to endure Bobby's uncontrolled hoots and shouts...

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs likes this.
  8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I'm not a huge fan of Chuck Berry or original R&R as it is. But I prefer GDs covers more than most. Johnny B. Goode is just a tired song. And honestly not one I ever enjoyed by anyone. But hearing Jerry earnestly singing GO GO makes it automatically better than any other tired cover of it.

If I have to listen to a tired standard, I'd rather it be GD than anyone else is my point. And some of those Arounds and Promiseds can be fantastic.

9. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Also the Around and Arounds with Donna are superior to the rest.

But I can say that of Cassidy, TMNS, Scarlet even, PITB, etc. Her impact on their music, to me, was not replaceable that easily. Brent was great, but there were elements to some of the songs as noted above that no one could replace.

10. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

And there's no way someone listens to a PITB or a Greatest Story or a TMNS or a Cassidy from the 80s and doesn't miss Donna or at least a PITB wail!

Jamcoy, frightwigwam and US Blues like this.
  11. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Also I restarted One From the Vault this morning. I just love it and it's a wonderful recording.

12. US Blues

Around & Around?

10 January 1979- Nassau :agree::agree::agree:

13. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I have to listen to some more Godchaux 79. Most of my listening in 79 has been Brent (and I love it).

frightwigwam and US Blues like this.
  14. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I really need to break out One From the Vault more consistently. Just a perfect Help/Slip/Frank to start and then a fantastic TMNS. They were nailing these from the start.

Then very good Rose's and a mind blowingly good Eyes>Drums. Fantastic King Solomons>Stronger Than Dirt, an all time AnA, nice Sugaree and Big River.

Then it gets even better with a perfect Crazy Fingers>Drums>The Other One. Sage and Spirit is great and I wish they did all these Blues for Allah songs more.

Topped by a nice GDTRFB>US Blues and a really cool and rare Blues for Allah to end it.

I love that studio album but this live recording as usual blows it into overdrive.

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

And Bobby is screamin’
    Goin’ again and again
    He’s sang it 3 times
    Since half past 10
    And he’ll keep on singin it
    Until who knows when

16. US Blues

You have one waiting for you in your current 30 Trips: 4 February 1979- Dane County Coliseum.

:tiphat:

17. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I think the reason for my generally negative view of Around & Around has more to do with its location in the show, than the song itself. After a typical 2nd set, it usually felt like a real downer. Opening the first or somewhere in the first would have been easier to experience.

18. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

There is a BC tribute band called GDBC. I've never heard them but here is what looks like a nice set list from last night:

[​IMG]

19. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Excellent. Stuck in a 75 loop right now ;)

US Blues likes this.
  20. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

I get that. It'd work as an encore too rather than closing off a Wharf Rat or Stella Blue.

Zafu likes this.
  21. JerryBlue

JerryBlue Always Grateful

June 18, 1976, Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey.

A noticeable experience, with so many highlights:
    Sugaree, Crazy Fingers, Mission in the Rain, St. Stephen, Eyes of the World...
    and still more joy on the bonus disc, especially with the sequence
    Playin' in the Band>Drums>The Wheel>Playin' in the Band.

[​IMG]

22. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

God I love 76. I adore 72-74 and 77-78 but I'm really drawn to 75-76 and how it's its own special and unique and underrated time.

23. This afternoon's selection on a glorious Spring day: 11/6/77 first set

24. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Trip 11... hook that 76 straight to my veins doc.

[​IMG]

25. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

Oh baby what a Sugaree.

JerryBlue and US Blues like this.