The Great Ray Charles: 2010 Rhino 180g LP vs. 1957 US Original Atlantic Mono LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tubesandvinyl, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It seems they substituted the mono only "Black Coffee" with the stereo mix of "Ain't Misbehavin'" on the original stereo LP (has correct substituted title on the back cover and labels).

However, at some point a stereo version listing "Black Coffee" and mentioning that this track is re-channeled from mono (fake stereo) was issued.

I've not heard the LPs but it seems that subsequently this fake stereo "Black Coffee" coverart was used for stereo versions containing "Ain't Misbehavin'" in its place. This error has persisted over the years and the 2004 Rhino CD re-issue lists "Black Coffee" but plays the stereo "Ain't Misbehavin'".

Here's an example:

"Ain't Misbehavin'" stereo mix but titled "Black Coffee" (and uses a picture of Jamie Foxx)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

My system is far improved from 2012. The Rhino stereo lp cut by Doug sounds even more impressive. But my original mono shows its shortcomings.

The mono LP from the recent Ray Charles mono LP box set sounds fantastic! Full, unshaven dynamics!

jgrillo likes this.
  4. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Agreed, I always loved this stereo cut from Doug Sax. Went through a few copies that were slightly off center, but side two of this record is one of my picks when I am tweaking my system or looking to demo. Also, the Ray mono box is just as outstanding in every way when compared to this Rhino stereo cut. I might throw a few of those on this afternoon!

marka and tubesandvinyl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.