The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Here it is. Simple question. I'm curious to see what percentage of forum members believe one or the other. Obviously I'm hoping this doesn't devolve into a forum "fistfight" and you don't really need to comment much as I deliberately made the question pretty simple but we'll see.

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Based on currently available information and theory, my answer is no. I'll repost here what I said in the other thread on this topic that's active right now, as I would be interested in seeing replies on this point:

Here is how I think about USB cables. I approach the topic from a fairly ignorant, but skeptical and analytical, perspective.

We know USB audio protocol does not include error correction. So we cannot think of it as a transmission similar to what occurs when you copy a file from a hard drive, which is checked for accuracy as part of the process. It is possible then for errors to appear in the stream. However no one has offered what I would consider to be a satisfactory explanation of how such errors might be persistent, recurring, and subtle, which in an abstract way is how I would define all variation within audiophile criteria (e.g. "The soundstage opened up," "There were blacker blacks"). Such variation is indeed subtle, compared to what I know an error in USB audio transmission can sound like -- a moment of loud white noise, a dropout, a pop, etc. If I'm not getting any of those, it's my sense that the connection is fine, is not going to get any better, and no further expense is warranted. So I buy the cheapest thing available and will continue to do so unless and until there's a sensible explanation offered for why something else would be worthwhile.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    ribonucleic, RomanZ and Vidiot like this.
  3. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Can anyone show me evidence that a thread like this ever changed a single person's mind about what they already hold dear?

VinylRob, RomanZ, contium and 6 others like this.
  4. mindblanking

I think (or am hoping anyway) that if it's not overwhelming one way or the other, people here will respect that there maybe something to it.

5. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I think an Audioquest (or any other premium cable) has got to be better than a $3 cable from the Dollar store; from there up the price list I have no idea.

6. mindblanking

Looks like more people believe that upgraded USB cables can help than some people might've thought. Or we just get up earlier.

RomanZ likes this.
  7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Hmmm no is wining. As long as the 1s and 0s make it through intact the then the DAC does everything else. Only 1 and 0 are getting transmitted. The values that is all. The quality of the 1s and 0s means nothing. Only the 1 and 0 count. That's what makes it digital. If something else counted it would not be digital. Super simple concept. People make way more of it then it actually is and the most vocal and high profile people make money off making more of it.

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

That is the explanation I also see. People are usually not promoting things just because it´s fun, there is nearly always a type of agenda behind.

russk likes this.
  9. russk

russk Forum Resident

If your DAC is well designed then it can and should separate out the electrical power and prevent it from contaminating the analog output stage.

10. triple

triple Senior Member

2/3 of the voters don't have a clue about digital audio? That sounds about right.

DaveC113 likes this.
  11. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Ain't never heard a difference nor been able to demonstrate a difference with "working" bit-perfect USB cables:
    http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/04/measurements-usb-cables-for-dacs.html

However, if inappropriate cable used and error prone. Sounds like "snow":
    http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/01/demo-measurements-what-does-bad-usb-or.html

Therefore IMO, I do not believe upgrading USB cables make a difference so long as one wasn't using very crappy dollar store / freebie USB cables to begin with! (I'm of course assuming this question is asking about decent generic cables vs. "upgraded" expensive stuff >$20.)

12. mindblanking

Yes. I wanted to make it clear in the question that I wasn't including the jump from "junk" to decent but couldn't add enough text to say it properly so hoped it was assumed.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

That's what I found too, actually listening to cables. It appears that some, however are too personally or financially invested in this issue :laugh:

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thank you for introducing the first unpleasant note of acrimony into the thread. Someone had to do it, I guess!

:nauga:

15. triple

triple Senior Member

Don't shoot the messenger...

16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Oh I hope no... but I'm sure it's possible to make a bad cable at most price points.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Well, as unpleasant notes of acrimony go, it was pretty mild. :agree:

I'm sure much worse is circling the runway as we speak.

jimbutsu likes this.
  18. russk

russk Forum Resident

I have to give this forum credit. I've almost never seen forum discussions on cables and tweeks that haven't devolved into personal attacks and name calling. Heck I've actually been involved in real discussions about these subjects that got a little nasty

19. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

USB spec is IEE standard,like kettle plugs
    As long as its implement to this spec there is no difference .

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Don't indeed shoot the messenger. Just get an ODAC. :tiphat:

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't know. I don't use a USB cable for audio so I cannot experiment at home. I wish the poll had that option.

It would be easy to vote "no" because it seems that data transmission should be independent of the cable construction, but since there are many reports that there are perceived differences between USB cables, it may be better to sit on the fence.

I have been wrong before when prejudging something in audio - before I tried an upgraded after-market power cable in my system, I had thought that it could not possibly have any effect. I was mightily wrong on that one.

22. mindblanking

My guess is that pretty much everyone who votes yes has heard the difference for themselves while I'm sure the no voters include a fairly decent amount of people who don't use a USB cable and are voting no because they don't believe it's scientifically possible- which is fine of course.

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I'd also be curious to see what percentage of voters (especially those who say there is no difference) have actually compared basic vs high-end USB cables.

Roger C likes this.
  24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Aherm...!

25. mindblanking

Not sure what aherm means but it stands to reason that someone who has never heard the different cables probably wouldn't vote yes, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.