The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

If it is a question of data errors, then seemingly one should only choose a cable based on measurements. Do the expensive cables really measure better? Do any review sites or magazines perform such measurements?

2. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

OP didn't understand all the rules on polls or OP would've let everyone see the results... said the OP.

fluffskul likes this.
  3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I think that "I don't know" should have been an option.

Metralla likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

5. Brother_Rael

It probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference as the data volumes involved that audio files send over are significantly less than a USB cable can handle.

jimbutsu and russk like this.
  6. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Brother_Rael likes this.
  7. missan

missan Forum Resident

No, we must know.

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  8. triple

triple Senior Member

Separate doubters from audiophiles. Oil and water do not mix.

9. missan

missan Forum Resident

Are You referring to Hitchen´s razor?

10. Brother_Rael

Healthy scepticism is necessary and as an audiophile I'm delighted that mine doesn't fit with someone else's idea that gushing acceptance of any old bit of supposed high fidelity tat constitutes audiophilia. That was never what the hobby was about.

11. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I selected no but would have liked a 'Yet to be convinced' button.

I bought an upgrade-from-free USB cable (Fisual Havana) to connect laptop to MF V-Link II and noticed zero difference between them. Yea it's not an expensive one, but surely it should have had some improvement. Gut feeling was any changes in even expensive USB cables would be so marginal as to put efforts elsewhere.

12. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I haven't voted so I cannot see the results but it's clear that I'm right and you're wrong....... :D

13. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

It should be noted that the total value of internal wiring & solder connections of most any piece of equipment is probably not more than few dollars yet that is seldom given any thought one way or another.

RomanZ and russk like this.
  14. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Wondering if a Gort can change the settings so anyone can see the poll whether they vote or not?

fluffskul and Brother_Rael like this.
  15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Your wish is my task.... Done. :)

mindblanking likes this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The point I was making was in a response to your comment "... or the checksum that's applied to check if packet data's been successfully received?" and although there is error detection via CRC for Isochronous Transfers there is no retry or guarantee of delivery so to talk about the checksum as you did is misleading. Even if the checksum fails, nothing happens.

17. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

To be precise, the USB packet header does have a checksum and the entire packet will be retransmitted if the packet header CRC check fails. However, the USB Audio Class 2 specification does not have any facility for determining the integrity of the data payload itself and thus, will do nothing if bad data is sent.

So Bit Error Rate could be a factor with USB audio. But until cable manufacturers publish BER specs for their cables, it's pretty much impossible to determine empirically if a higher quality cable will help with BER, or if it's superfluous.

jimbutsu, Kyhl and Brother_Rael like this.
  18. Brother_Rael

I didn't make a point Geoff so I couldn't be misleading anyone. I asked a question which remains unanswered. You cherrypicked out of context I'm afraid.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    bru87tr likes this.
  19. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

20. missan

missan Forum Resident

Hitchens´razor; "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

21. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

The reason I dismiss claims that measurable differences do not result in audible differences :)

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

But it´s not that difficult to show that measurable differences must not result in audible ones.

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

When a person says they've tried both basic and higher end USB cables and hear a difference, they're hailed. Welcome to the club, say the USB cable crew.

But when I say I've tried both basic and higher end USB cables and CAN'T hear a difference, I'm told I simply don't understand physics/engineering/life/etc. Or, if somebody is feeling charitable, they tell me I simply don't know what to listen for. You'd think this runs counter to the notion that these cables impart an obvious improvement, but if I point this out I'm just told my hearing is bad. Oh well! :edthumbs:

subzro, RomanZ, bru87tr and 8 others like this.
  24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Something has to happen. There's no resend, but from what I'm reading it sounds as if when there's an error the packet or frame will be dropped. For example: http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb4.shtml#Isochronous
    But it would be nice to know for sure. What happens in the event of an error? How frequently do errors occur? Is there any reason to believe that different cable composition might reduce the error rate?

It is interesting to note that the Mirage cable discussed in another active thread (see here: http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/MirageUSB.html) is touted by the manufacturer for, in essence, maximizing signal integrity and minimizing noise. Shouldn't that capacity be measurable, especially with a digital signal? If so, would we expect to see a lower error rate?

25. Brother_Rael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.