The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. macster

macster Forum Resident

Go for it, "tomorrow" it will cost more than it does today. When a good one shows jump on it, don't play games even going a little higher. I got my Dragon by hitting the"buy it now" button and immediately got in line with WH. You could check with him and see if he has anything. Bottom line don't miss out playing around. These things are like gold get a good one and she'll rock for years. I got my Dragon in 2007 sent it to WH and she still rocks. She is going out to WH next year "just because."

Just my opinion.

M~

jusbe and Classic Car Guy like this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy "The greatest love of all is unconditional"

That sounds short and easy. Okay Ill start looking for one that has a low mileage and excellent candidate. Yeah your right I'm just like wasting time thinking about it. I gotta find the right deck but where?
    All Nak decks I got are excellent condition but those are medium grade comparing to the ZX which I'm looking for now is like a unicorn.

3. Classic Car Guy

So reading back all my previous studies and research, I'm more after for the auto azimuth recording feature which falls on the ZX-9 or ZX-7. So is that the right deck?
    What transport do they use. Is it the classic or the later model? Any takes. Thanks,,,,

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

It depends on what you are able spend. I know nothing about the decks except that I would buy the ZX9 because it costed more than the ZX7, or more simply stated it was the TOL for that model range. It's probably better to ask at Tapeheads.

M~

5. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

As promised here's some pics of the newly arrived JVC NR-50E Noise Reduction Unit, along with the out-of-storage fully-refurbished Akai GXC-325D.

Calibration worked well; just needed to follow all the steps in the JVC's manual.

I must say that the ability to now play all of my tapes on the Akai, including all those that were Dolby C encoded, and metal tapes, (two things that did not exist when the Akai first came out), is really neat. And while the Akai is not, performance-wise, as good as my Nakamichi RX-202 deck, I must say that I really like the top-loading Akai's looks.

Jeff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Classic Car Guy

Sone of he early Akai's really amazes in sound and features.

jesterthejedi likes this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Ive done so many nakamichi basic to mid upper model in a year. The BX-300 stands out on those category and out of the 9 same models, this one I did yesterday stands out a hairline than with the previous which are still all excellent.
    The wow and flutter on this one is .019% with THD .7 I have recorded the whole Peter Cetera album with a JVC Dynarec Type I and Maxell XL-2s.
    The type I playback is hitting +5 db.. Damn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    clhboa and macster like this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Hey. I have another question for you. Last night I recorded on a d-90 and d-120 using the same Nakamichi BX-300. I normally don't use any dolby on my recordings. using the old Fuji and NAC type I cassettes. The results I get was always warm. I started using he D-90 and I notice there is more upper brilliancy. Do you normally turn on your dolby in recording to get the optimum sound you like?
    The reason why I ask is, I feel.. I should not touch my settings yet until I learn something in the way how you set and record on your system.
    There are so many bands in my "playback" EQ and I just don't wanna to start fiddling with it.
    Thanks...