The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. macster

macster Forum Resident

Go for it, "tomorrow" it will cost more than it does today. When a good one shows jump on it, don't play games even going a little higher. I got my Dragon by hitting the"buy it now" button and immediately got in line with WH. You could check with him and see if he has anything. Bottom line don't miss out playing around. These things are like gold get a good one and she'll rock for years. I got my Dragon in 2007 sent it to WH and she still rocks. She is going out to WH next year "just because."

Just my opinion.

M~

jusbe and Classic Car Guy like this.
  2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

That sounds short and easy. Okay Ill start looking for one that has a low mileage and excellent candidate. Yeah your right I'm just like wasting time thinking about it. I gotta find the right deck but where?
    All Nak decks I got are excellent condition but those are medium grade comparing to the ZX which I'm looking for now is like a unicorn.

3. Classic Car Guy

So reading back all my previous studies and research, I'm more after for the auto azimuth recording feature which falls on the ZX-9 or ZX-7. So is that the right deck?
    What transport do they use. Is it the classic or the later model? Any takes. Thanks,,,,

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

It depends on what you are able spend. I know nothing about the decks except that I would buy the ZX9 because it costed more than the ZX7, or more simply stated it was the TOL for that model range. It's probably better to ask at Tapeheads.

M~

5. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

As promised here's some pics of the newly arrived JVC NR-50E Noise Reduction Unit, along with the out-of-storage fully-refurbished Akai GXC-325D.

Calibration worked well; just needed to follow all the steps in the JVC's manual.

I must say that the ability to now play all of my tapes on the Akai, including all those that were Dolby C encoded, and metal tapes, (two things that did not exist when the Akai first came out), is really neat. And while the Akai is not, performance-wise, as good as my Nakamichi RX-202 deck, I must say that I really like the top-loading Akai's looks.

Jeff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan C, jusbe, clhboa and 2 others like this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

Sone of he early Akai's really amazes in sound and features.

jesterthejedi likes this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Ive done so many nakamichi basic to mid upper model in a year. The BX-300 stands out on those category and out of the 9 same models, this one I did yesterday stands out a hairline than with the previous which are still all excellent.
    The wow and flutter on this one is .019% with THD .7 I have recorded the whole Peter Cetera album with a JVC Dynarec Type I and Maxell XL-2s.
    The type I playback is hitting +5 db.. Damn!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    clhboa and macster like this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Hey. I have another question for you. Last night I recorded on a d-90 and d-120 using the same Nakamichi BX-300. I normally don't use any dolby on my recordings. using the old Fuji and NAC type I cassettes. The results I get was always warm. I started using he D-90 and I notice there is more upper brilliancy. Do you normally turn on your dolby in recording to get the optimum sound you like?
    The reason why I ask is, I feel.. I should not touch my settings yet until I learn something in the way how you set and record on your system.
    There are so many bands in my "playback" EQ and I just don't wanna to start fiddling with it.
    Thanks...

9. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

In general, I cannot think of a single reason (other than to make a noisier recording) that I would ever record onto cassette without using Dolby, if it was available. And I'd always choose Dolby C over Dolby B.

If the results are worse with it on, there's something else that's not right. (Tape selection. Tape type selection. Bias, EQ, level settings.)

Jeff

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. macster

macster Forum Resident

I have always use Dolby C for my recordings.

M~

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  11. Classic Car Guy

After 2 years in pandemic now I'm becoming restless. I cant wait for travelling to clear up. I told my wife I wanna we will travel to Japan. I wanna buy some guitars, hi-end cassette deck and Japanese version tapes. Hope to find a portable tape winder.
    [​IMG]

12. Classic Car Guy

I got it... CR-7

macster likes this.
  13. macster

macster Forum Resident

If you need an OM, I got you.

M~

14. Classic Car Guy

Thanks man. Definitely on this one!
    It should be here next week. thanks again man...

15. Classic Car Guy

I been using this a lot on work from home. I fired up my BX-100 and set it on auto repeat. Very unusual with the rewinding time from 90 to 120 mins...
    I took off the cover of the bx-100 so it wont heat up. Lets see how far this is gonna go. That deck is fully serviced...

[​IMG]

16. macster

macster Forum Resident

Do you need or want it now? If so PM me.

FYI

This stuff is what I use, nothing else touches the old tape decko's.

M~

Pinknik likes this.
  17. Classic Car Guy

No not yet right now but Ill pm you along the way... I have some projects and work that I need to finish before I get into the new deck. 3 months ago I bought a 10 inch LED VU meter so I can track my recording better and I'm just finishing up the putting the power supply and hopefully I can get this running tomorrow.
    Geez... the next one is I'm adding a DBX 400 router so I can add 2 decks, 1 reel, dynamic expander, 1/3 octave EQ, and another line in for Aux. I have to make cables for some of these.. Then the cassette deck last...
    Oh shoot man .. where were you when I need that kit. The swabs I bought was nothing but junk and I paid more money for it. Ill get these stuffs and perfect for I need a lot...

macster likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

I spent a good 40 minutes looking for @john morris in this site and google. But that's all I can reach. The only site I go to is hoffmans and tapeheads. I didn't check on tapeheads because I couldn't access for I need to update my computer settings. 99% even if I'm not a regular there, I know he would not be there.. I'm just guessing but I feel he doesn't go there. I really wonder what happen to the guy. Its been a while and I hope he's okay...
    MiA.....

macster likes this.
  19. macster

macster Forum Resident

Maybe he's taking a break. I also hope that he is okay.

M~

20. bbz1

bbz1 Member

You’re referring to a Stereo Review March 1988 issue of a Top 5 cassette deck head—to-head. From that article you should know the Dragon was determined the actual winner as follows:

1.) Nak Dragon -most realistic-musical; lowest noise
    2.) Revox B215 -more presence vs Nak -less musical
    3.) Tandberg 3014A -imaging not as sharp; less “air”
    3.) Onkyo TA-2090 -leaning towards “sharp”; tinny
    4.) HK CD419 -overly bright; spatially less defined

Nak is arguably considered the best cassette deck manufacturer by even tape deck connoisseurs over at tapeheads.net

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2021
  21. Classic Car Guy

Anyone knows where they sell a battery operated cassette tape pocket winder?

22. macster

macster Forum Resident

Here and accompanying video

M~

jusbe likes this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

portable electric..

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

OMG your Akai photos bring back such strong memories. I got the exact model as an Xmas gift from my dad in 1980, when I was about 11. He no doubt picked it up used somewhere for a good price, but I remember it was in superb shape. I have the photos of my stunned face while opening the box. :laugh: Probably the coolest xmas in my childhood. Also got a new Radio Shack stereo mic to go along with it. It was the kind of deck that made me feel like a creative mastering engineer or producer, making mix tapes and recording stuff with the mic. I remember you could do a primitive echo with it on the mic using speakers and the record/playback head, kind of an unintentional slapback effect I guess? My sister and I had tons of fun with that, but unfortunately the only stuff we recorded was farts, belches and giggle noises. You know, comedy gold for kids.

I still have several tapes I recorded with that beauty, including some air checks from local radio and the worst mix tapes on the planet using my parent's record collection of miscellaneous light classical, easy listening and Christian LPs. I still have a couple of those tapes too, quite painful to hear. :help:

Such a beautiful deck. Sorry about my rambling, it just brings back some happy memories. Glad to see one running well and in such good shape. It was waaay overbuilt and over engineered for its day!

dan c

chilinvilin likes this.
  25. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Radio Shack also sold a hand winder for audio cassettes.

[​IMG]

Shak Cohen and jusbe like this.