The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

Doesn't the front door lid just slides up if you just want to reach out and want to access in cleaning the heads?
    Great looking machine...

2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Use this, I have several that I use for general cleaning they are unobtrusive, gentle and do a pretty good job. I also have modified the Allsops for use in my Dragon by removing the swiveling mechanism. I really detest poking and jabbing the tape path in the Dragon but using either one of these makes cleaning a breeze. Caveat, you may have to adjust the position of the pads in the shell which I did by paying attention to how even the pad was getting dirty (if that makes sense).

M~

Om and Classic Car Guy like this.
  3. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

So these are not abrasive and don't scratch the head? I take it you just wet the tape with solvent and it gently glides along. This seems like a neat product, especially for a deck as fragile as this.

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

No, but that's just my opinion. You can contact them and check. Also, even if, the cloth is abrasive the cleaning fluid is the best (again my opinion).

M~

5. doity

doity Forum Resident

Well I ordered one. It is kind of ludicrous to even do so as I must have at least ten similiar products laying around the house. But they do market it as being “unabrasive”, so what the heck. I noticed that they also sell the tape fluid separate and you can buy it on EBay, so it must be somewhat good and in demand.

Thanks for the heads up.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

Sounds familiar.....:laugh:

7. perryinva

perryinva Forum Resident

I still have the original Discwasher version of the head cleaning cassette. They also say that theirs is non abrasive. S721H is so volatile that it is likely only still there for about 10 seconds max. While adequate, and certainly better than nothing, they are fairly ineffective in tape guides corner build up and the take up roller/capstan interface.

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

There are a couple of ways to attack the problem as follows:
    1. Use the Allsop cleaning tape with the center moveable mechanism removed and adjust the pads according to the dirt build up. That is, if one side of the pad is clean then reorient the clean the dirty side towards that direction. It takes a bit of practice
    2. Also use the S721 cleaning tape in conjunction with the Allsop tape, which I do on a monthly basis.
    3. Finally the "poke and jab" method with the cotton swabs which I do before recording or listening critically. Nothing the beats the "poke and jab" method, but using the above two is a great way (IMHO) to get 90% there.
    I break out in goose bumps when I clean my Dragon with cotton swabs, there is no (well I don't do how) easy way to do it and every time I get cotton caught in the tape path mechanisms I have to call 911. I just hate it. Cleaning the heads on a Dragon is a nonissue for me. But the pinch rollers ughhh,

M~

doity, Om and Classic Car Guy like this.
  9. Classic Car Guy

Fedex is my friend and I know youre gonna do a wonderful, careful and non-"Fut-Bol" shipping job with no delays.
    That's its baby and come to Papa.. Merry X'mas.:nauga:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    cnolanh and GyroSE like this.
  10. macster

macster Forum Resident

What's that I see on the lower rh side. Yup "haters never sleep.":sigh:

Man that is beautiful if it's at all within operational functionally you got a steal. Quite while you are behind.

:agree:

M~

So what tapes are you going to test/calibrate that puppy with?

Don't be ashamed, speak up.

M~

11. Classic Car Guy

When it gets here I have not much selections but mainly
    Type I including TDK D and Japanese Fuji DR-I, Scotch Master Type I
    Type II TDK SA, SAX, Japanese Fuji DR-II, Scotch XS-II, Scotch Master Type II
    Type IV Maxell MAR (I only have a few of this)
    The one that I really wanna come to life is the Scotch XS-II 90. I really love the sound of this tape and its very compatible to my pioneer CT-F850. When I record this to that machine, its just a total drop jaw. Too bad I didn't had the chance to try it on the 680zx. I wanna simplify my recording setup and if I can get rid of my Pioneer so the 682zx can do it all, that will be great..
    I remember you told me last year about listening to your Dragon and how it took you to another level. When I recorded the powerful people album on the 680zx on a Fuji DR-I, Ill just say, from now on I want all my recordings to sound just like it. Night after night I am thinking where in the world am I gonna steal a master tape just to put it on that deck and hit REC....:confused:.. Its driving me mad..:crazy:
    The sound is just like a million dollar drug.:biglaugh:

[​IMG]

12. Classic Car Guy

I been hogging on the old, original press LP's just to record it. Its a hit and miss with all the clicks and pops. I can partially do the WD-40 like what that guy sam the record man was doing. Ive done it before when I was young during recordings. But that only last for a day and I don't know the impact of putting a solution in the groove while compromising your high dollar stylus.

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

I would use the TDK for check and test, if those pass and anything else didn't I would be happy. But that's just me. BTW, what brand/model of tape are you going to have Perry baseline the deck is also something to think about.

This image is from my Dragon manual so it looks like you are good with a baseline cal.

[​IMG]

I'm too lazy to look for my 681zx manual.

M~

14. Classic Car Guy

Okay... The TDK is the main volume of my tapes.
    If I can get Perry to dial the TDK and Fuji and "maybe if possible the Scotch Tapes" then great. If he sets the first 2, I'm the happiest guy in the world.
    I get these with the 2 test tomes. Bingo!

Which machine do you normally use for recording?

15. Classic Car Guy

But in your Dragon you can calibrate almost any tapes if I'm correct?

16. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

While I tried any number of tapes over the years when I was recording with my cassette decks, the tape that I liked the most, and which gave the best results, was TDK MA.

Jeff

17. macster

macster Forum Resident

Kinda sorta. In there are tapes that I just can't pull in exactly which is not coming to mind. But the NAC Chrome and Cobalt's were good examples of those that fought me toe to toe. It took the sacrifice of 10 Bulls and 20 Rams without blemish to get them to work. The deck that was the hands down easiest to work with as far calibrating any tapeare my CR7 and my B215's nothing seems to stump them. I haven't played too much with my CR5 and 4 but they "should be" able to handle almost anything.

Subject Change

I have several boxes of Akai type I and II types that I need to play with. But not on my premium decks, just something to put in the back of your mind.

M~

18. doity

doity Forum Resident

I remember reading about how MFSL came to find out, through testing different brands, on which cassette they would use for their ‘Original Master Recording’ series of tapes. They tested all of the brands and eventually settled on the BASF chrome(s). They actually were driving around a sales rep for a different manufacturer when they popped in a cassette that they had recorded using a BASF tape and it sounded so good that the sales rep said something like “Well, you can drop me off here. We can never top that.”

I guess the MFSL deal was so big for BASF that they got tons of business just from being chosen, and that they barely even had to advertise afterwards. And they even said were even thinking of getting out of the tape business prior to getting the contract.

19. Classic Car Guy

Mainly the TDK I found a batch that's really consistent. I clean out that girl over 300 brand new tapes that came from a closed record store. This is not a storage but the owner of the business took the tapes home. So yohwee I don't have to worry about a warped tape.
    Since from my old recordings in the last 5 years, I have close to 20-30 tapes that locked on me while finishing a recording. I didn't wanna mess with fixing it. I just set the tape aside on a box and put in a new one.
    That's definitely a big ouch if youre running it on a premium deck.
    There are some guys at tapeheads claiming that the sony CD IT I geuss its a type II for I haven't used it yet but anyways he said after 2 runs, it gouged his recording decks head. I cant remember if that was a Denon or Pioneer. I was asking him.. are you sure man? Honestly Ive use a weaker machines in my early days and I never had that even fallen on me yet coz I make sure, I wont just buy a "used tape" if you know what I mean....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  20. Classic Car Guy

Price of any MA is unrealistic. That's why I never touched since the 80's unless it was given to me for free....:biglaugh:

21. harby

harby Forum Resident

How about this? The world has gone mad - MAD I tell you:
    [​IMG]

No, thanks, I'll just record 8 x 8 balanced XLR 192/24 with 0.00063 % THD+N...

[​IMG]

22. macster

macster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Wow and I thought I had a retirement account building here. I'm clearing out my audio for a gut and remodel.

M~

23. Classic Car Guy

There you go... Just like that guy at "Cassette Comeback".. Okay I'm gonna crack this Type III tape open. It took him almost 5 minutes to do it... Huuhhh - Oooouuuuuh. Then he started peeling/unwrapping it off from the side...:-plnktn-:

24. Classic Car Guy

You get rid of all those tape that's an equivalent for a Dragon.....

25. Classic Car Guy

I have a bunch of the red BASF Type I but I haven't tied it yet. Its very clean that I got this back in 1988 for that was the same time I bought my first MXR EQ...