“The Greatest Night In Pop” New Sundance/Netflix Documentary

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Jan 9, 2024.

1. ky658

ky658 Senior Member Thread Starter

JoeRockhead, longdist01 and proedros like this.
  2. ky658

I’m guessing they’re gonna do in-depth interviews with the artists who were part of it, as a documentary for this already exists:

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I might watch this, although since day one I was more of a fan of Band Aid over USA for Africa. Yes, "Do They Know it's Christmas" has silly lyrics, but it was the apex of the British New Wave pop invasion and has a sincere earnestness to it, as apposed to the slick schlock of "We Are the World." Was it Cyndi Lauper who said during the session that it sounded like a Pepsi ad? :laugh: At any rate, it'll probably be a fun bit of nostalgia.

dan c

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I agree. Bruce sounded like a bad impersonation of himself. And Bob wasn't far behind. The Stevie bit where he imitates Bob was funny.
    IIRC, Boy George wasn't there for the big Do They Know session and had to put his part in later.

krock2009 and Steve Litos like this.
  5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I wanna HEAR those Danny Aykroyd isolated vocal tracks!

6. ky658

Here is the official Netflix trailer:

7. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

Mmm
    Being a music nerd and well into my 50’s i will probably watch this even though I can’t stand the song and I didn’t back then either.

I wouldn’t say it was “the greatest night in Pop” as that is better suited to the UK recording of
    “Do they know its Christmas “ which is a better song (only just ) and was done first and had the crem de la crème of the pop world at that time .

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

+1. Me too. On Netflix 29 January, so a couple of weeks or so yet.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. ky658

It’s the 39th anniversary, don’t know why they didn’t just wait another year for the 40th.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Correct. He's not in the big group photo from the sessions.

According to Wiki:

"Geldof had been keen to include Culture Club's Boy George on the single, at the time one of the biggest music stars in the world, and had called him in New York the day before the recording to insist that George turn up. By midday, with George still absent, an irate Geldof telephoned him again demanding to know where he was. Having only gone to bed a few hours before, a sleepy George was woken up by Geldof insisting that he get onto a Concorde transatlantic flight later that morning. However, George went back to sleep following the phone call, and only made it onto the last Concorde flight of the day later that afternoon. George eventually arrived at Sarm West at 6 pm and went immediately into the recording booth to deliver his lines, the last solo artist of the day."

andrewskyDE, longdist01 and altaeria like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ll be watching.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I watched last night, notwithstanding the absurdly hyperbolic title and awful ditty. But hey, it's charity - which is pretty much Springsteen's diplomatic take on things.

Lionel was also a fun interviewee, as usual. I believe he is a credited executive producer.

What's not to love? Drunk Al Jarreau, Kenny Rogers self-driving up to A&M in his Chrysler Laser hatchback, a vital piece of bonding between Dylan and Stevie, chicken and waffles from Roscoe's, Waylon Jennings walking out, and Cyndi Lauper's contribution is still unlistenable.

Back to Bruce, he'd just wrapped his Born in the USA tour the night before in Buffalo (or maybe just a leg of it?), so his voice wasn't at his best - as he admits.

13. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Watched it last night. Some interesting anecdotes but otherwise too long and a bit worthy.

krock2009, longdist01 and RSteven like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He played Syracuse the night before to end the looooong 1st leg of the tour: 6/29/84-1/27/85.

2nd leg was Australia/Japan 3/21/85-4/23/85.

3rd leg was Europe 6/1-7/7.

4th and final leg was 8/5-10/12.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Greatest Night In Pop. I'm inclined to avoid it just because of the hyperbole. Even if there WERE such a thing, it wouldn't be this track.

Still, as a fan of Q and most of the rest, I will give it a look, as long as it's not 90 minutes of futzing with headphone mixes.

Dan

16. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It's not news that Ken Kragen preferred Cyndi Lauper over Madonna, which is absurd. It's not like there was an either/or with Jacko and Prince. And Madge was at the AMAs ffs. There's footage of her standing alongside Huey Lewis as he fields a question backstage at the AMAs about the imminent session - Madge smiles gamely, but it can't have been a fun moment. Then she wanders away from Huey and his outstretched arm. About the 39:20 mark.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It surprises me that there are people who think "Do They Know it's Christmas?" is a better song. Any criticism that could be levelled at "We Are The World" applies in equal measure to "Do They Know It's Christmas?" And while WATW is lyrically inane, DTKIC is both inane and solipsistic.

JoeRockhead and WilliamWes like this.
  18. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

I prefer The Residents version-

johnnyyen and nedison like this.
  19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It was fun to watch. You know as an angry 15 year old kid, I hated the song at the time and my friends and I would goof on each line and make each other giggle with our terrible impressions of Dylan, Springsteen, Lauper, etc. and we loved the Ramones goof on the whole thing with the Something to Believe In video.

But watching this documentary really made it more touching or something. All the mainstream 'villains' of my youth just appear like incredibly talented (and quirky) folks working hard to do something nice.

I remember watching that AMAs with distain especially for Lionel Richie... and to think while I was asleep dreaming of Phoebe Cates he was busting his **** to try to make something beautiful and meaningful. I especially loved his interviews. And actually just in general I've come to really appreciate him as just a really super talented and seemingly genuine guy. In the interviews I appreciated his stories of writing the song with Michael Jackson at his house. haha.

The Dylan bit is pretty interesting too. He is so out-of-place there but important to be there. And he's trying but confused. Maybe a bit high. Ha. But Stevie Wonder directs his part and brings him in to add something distinctive.

Quincy Jones too just shines as a great producer. And all of them shine really. So much talent.

Freakin' Waylon Jennings though. haha.

20. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

It's funny seeing the reports of Waylon walking out, but Ray Charles(and others) were pretty fed up too, and made this comment before Waylon walked out.

According to the Independent, Waylon and a few others were against doing that (who thought it would come across as though they were mocking the language), with Ray Charles finally sounding off:

“Willi what! Willi moing-gu, my ass! It’s three o’clock in the goddamn mornin’ – I can’t even sing in English no more.”

There are conflicting reports as to whether or not Waylon returned. Some have stated that he actually returned after the debated Swahili was excised from the song.

Picking Cyndi Lauper over Madonna was a real headscratcher. The discussions of Prince sure painted him as a prima donna.

It was interesting, particularly those of us who were growing up through that era.

krock2009, ampmods and MrGrumpy like this.
  22. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Moe's Burritos are the world

TonyCzar likes this.
  23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Well... Ray Charles didn't walk out. Not saying he would have gotten very far as he would have likely been hit by a passing car. jk.

It's still funny.

Also Cyndi Lauper is a great singer. Madonna is Madonna. She should have been there too but... given 1 singer to pick (which wasn't actually what was in question at that time) I would pick Lauper every single time.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The funniest line in the show is when Ray Charles says, "I gotta go to the bathroom! Can somebody tell me where it is?" And Stevie Wonder walks over and says, "I'll take you, Ray." And after a few steps, he says, "hey, look at us! The blind leading the blind!"

I think the moment wasn't captured on film or tape, but by all reports it did happen and it brought down the house.

I would've hated to be the guy to tell John Oates, "sorry, we only want Daryt. And hey, Garfunkel, you can wait outside in the limo!"

Here's my review from Facebook:

Wow, we just watched the We Are the World music special about the making of the memorable 1985 hit, and it was a very moving, emotional experience for me. I didn't so much get caught up in the (very real) problem of starvation in 3rd-world countries as I did in the realization that music was so important 40 years ago... it was everything to most of the people I knew in the 1980s, since we worked on so many music videos back then (and I was and still am a massive music collector). And yet now... music for most people is just kind of a commodity, something that plays in the background while you're stuck in rush hour traffic.

It's bittersweet to look back at something like this and then reflect how little music matters now for most people today: no more Tower Records, MTV is just about gone, Michael Jackson is gone (and so many others). But for a brief shining moment, there were some electrifying names in entertainment that lit up the world and tried to use their celebrity for an important cause. It's a wonderful documentary and an amazing snapshot of a moment in time (all presented in 4x3)... at least for those who were there, and those of us who keenly remember it.

25. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I hope they included some of those blistering parodies David Letterman showed at the time. :laugh:

Meanwhile, it does look like Bobby D was wondering why he was there:

(yeah, count me as one of those kids who hated this fricking song back in the day... good cause and all, but man did I get sick of hearing it over and over).

krock2009, skisdlimit, Vidiot and 2 others like this.