The Greatest TV Themes Of The '60s - Round 1, Bracket 16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Oct 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Continuing this tournament style process, with 64 head-to-head candidates in total, to determine the greatest TV theme of the '60s.

And if you need to refresh your memory, courtesy YouTube:

The Patty Duke Show
    vs
    That Girl

The previous bracket:

Bracket 15
    Peter Gunn vs.
    The Untouchables

2. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

That Girl was one of my all-time favorite TV themes, and I think one of the very best of the '60s. So when I clicked on the above link, I was utterly confused. I didn't remember that at all, except part of the melody at the end. I didn't even remember it having words.
    Well, it turns out that the theme that I remembered was indeed an instrumental, and it was used for four of the five seasons of the show. The first season had a slightly less dynamic version of that instrumental. But for Season 2 it was redone in a bright, sweeping arrangement that got it exactly right. That version was used again without change for the entirety of Season 3, and again for the entirety of Season 4. For the 5th and last season they changed it to a vocal song, the one linked to above, and the show was canceled.
    Finally, I would like to point out that the theme linked to above does not qualify for this survey of Greatest TV Themes Of The '60s, because it was only used for the season of 1970 -1971.
    I would like to see a re-do with the theme from seasons 2-4 when the show was at the top of its popularity.
    Here's the one I remember

That Girl seasons 2-4

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  3. sunspot42

Weird. I have no memory of the instrumental theme but do recall the vocal version. I wonder if it got used on all the syndicated episodes? Or if my local station was only airing the final couple of seasons of That Girl by the time I paid any attention to the show?

4. souldeep69

That's interesting, I don't know about the syndication. The one used on Television's Greatest Hits was the instrumental from seasons 2-4.
    iMDB said this:
    The show actually used three separate opening themes during its run. Season 1 was a more subdued instrumental opening, also with a different video sequence. Seasons 2-4 was the now-familiar more upbeat, jazzy swinging instrumental style; finally, sung lyrics were added in the 5th (last) season's version, to give the opening a similar, deeper context, in the wake of the new, very successful Mary Tyler Moore Show's first season the previous year. The well-regarded Earle Hagen wrote all the music for the opening themes.

5. sunspot42

It's interesting how many variations various series' themes went thru. I first noticed this happening as a kid with Star Trek and Gilligan's Island - those perennials of '70s syndication - both of which had passages tacked onto their themes to accommodate credits for additional cast members (among other minor revisions).

souldeep69 likes this.
  6. sunspot42

I'm not sure either of these themes are all that great, honestly, although I know @souldeep69 loves That Girl. It'll be interesting to see how the ultimate winner does in the next round.

7. souldeep69

No, I most certainly don't love that That Girl. As I pointed out, it's not only not the much more well-known instrumental theme that was used four out of the five seasons (the one I did and do love), it's not even eligible for this thread
    The Greatest TV Themes Of The '60s.

It was only used in the 1970-1971 season.

8. sunspot42

Oh yeah, gotcha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.