The Halloween Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 26, 2020.

1. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

The original is one of the great horror films, something I'll never tire of. The second knows what it is and pulls no punches, I love how it continues from the original. The third is a complete curve-ball, yet really underrated with plenty of great ideas. 4 ,5 & H20 have their moments, yet I wouldn't care if I ever saw them again. The rest in the original cannon are useless IMO

Rob Zombies film I thought was really strong... up to the point it became a remake of the original, then it become a poor re-hash of what I already loved. It would have really succeeded for me if it had ended at the point Micheal escapes the hospital, as an origin story it was pretty interesting.

The latest reboot I thought all things considered was really strong. A few scenes where they got it wrong, though TBH there aren't many big budget slasher films these days, so to see one in theatres that wasn't useless reminded me of what a joy they can be with an audience.

Look forward to the next instalment, even if it has been delayed until next year.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Scariest thing in "Halloween II" was the kid who bit into the razor blade.

I saw that movie in 1981 and not again until 2019, but that was the only scene I remembered - it creeped me out, man!

3. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I always used to dislike II. “It takes place in a hospital? On the same night? Boring!” But I’ve grown to appreciate it. It’s not a masterpiece like the original - it’s just a fun, well-done slasher pic.

4. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Something that really carries Halloween II for me, in spite of its flaws, is Dean Cundey’s return as the cinematographer. He makes the sequel visually consistent with the original, on a much larger budget. The final scene, at dawn outside the hospital, I’ve remembered since I was a kid because it’s very well shot.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I love the original Halloween and Halloween II.

The rest I can do without.

GLUDFSSR likes this.
  6. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween III
    Halloween (2018)
    Halloween II (1981)

I'm done with the others. I almost like Halloween III as much as the original. I generally watch it twice a year. I would love to read Nigel Kneale's original script.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Halloween III...love it, yet it has nothing to do with the others...how did it get the third? weird?

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I would assume that most people will rank the first film at number 1. I seem to be alone in the fact that I have always preferred 4 and 5 above the rest. I’m sure that I am in a very small minority.

1. Halloween 5
    2. Halloween 4
    3. Halloween (Original)
    4. Halloween 3
    5. Halloween (Rob Zombie remake)
    6. Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie remake)
    7. Halloween 2
    8. Halloween 6
    9. Halloween (2018)
    10. H2O
    11. Halloween Resurrection

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

How did Halloween III become the third film in the franchise. As you may or may not know, the original plan was to have a series of Halloween themed films each with a different story. But when Halloween the film took off the movie studio wanted a sequel. So the anthology idea was put on hold, and we got Halloween II.

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gotcha...

11. SmallDarkCloud

Roger Ebert's contemporary review of Halloween III is interesting. He somehow mistakenly thought that the man (later revealed to be a robot) who kills the toy shop owner at the beginning of the movie, then sets himself on fire, was Michael Myers. He reviewed the film as if it continued the story from the first two, just moving in a new direction. As the immolation takes place a good 15 minutes (or so) into the movie, I've wondered if Ebert arrived at the preview screening late and somehow thought that scene was recycled from the ending of II. Or something. It's a weird interpretation.

Welshman, Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  12. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Other than the original being #1, and Zombie’s two being at the bottom, I don’t think I can rank these.

I used to not like it, but it’s grown on me over time. It would have been interesting to see where the anthology idea would have gone, with maybe a final movie tying everything together, like American Horror Story.

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I could be wrong but he always butchered a review of one of the friday the 13th films to , I think I read somewhere

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Where was the review you mentioned published? I read the following and it doesn't mention Michael Myers at all. Thanks!

Halloween III: Season of the Witch movie review (1982) | Roger Ebert

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

Second paragraph:

“It begins at the end of "Halloween II," when the monster was burned up in the hospital parking lot, but it's not still another retread of the invincible monster. In fact, the monster is forgotten, except for a lab technician who spends the whole movie sifting through his ashes.”

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

For me the i can watch the first 3 over and over again, the rest i can't sit through, they hyped it up so much that when i saw it i was not impressed.

17. jason88cubs

I'm surprised 4 doesnt get more love

Spastica likes this.
  18. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I'll be honest, I found 4 really boring. It feels like it takes forever to get going.
    I'm all for table-setting, but the first half is just uninteresting to me. I'm all about part 6 :D

jason88cubs likes this.
  19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

4 had it's moments but for me it was the mask. It doesn't look scary at all, it looks constipated.
    [​IMG]

20. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

Do we all agree that the best mask is in the original? The most recent mask looked cool too, and Rob Zombie's films had pretty decent masks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm pretty well burnt out on most of the Halloween series, esp. the original. I've seen that so many times over the years that I don't think I'll ever feel the need to watch it again.

I have always liked "III" because it's so weird and out-there.

As for the rest, they're a mixed bag of "meh" and "awful."

"4" is a sentimental favorite cuz it was the first "Halloween" flick I was old enough to see in a theater.

The 2018 "reboot" or whatever they call it wasn't terrible, but it didn't seem terribly necessary either.

We won't discuss "5," 6," "Resurrection," or the Rob Zombie efforts....

jason88cubs and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You can't improve on the first one.
    Such restraint, yet such tension, almost from the start
    Follows the Hitch rules of taking your time, building suspense and then not showing any more violence than you have to, the viewers' minds do all the work.

I saw II in a crowded theater. The first one everyone was silent, the second one had whooping and cheering.

23. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The first is a classic but I do agree it's aired so much on TV and I've seen it so many times that it doesn't provide surprises anymore. But, of course, it's exceptionally well made. I just prefer Carpenter's follow-ups The Fog and The Thing much, much more.

I love III. Again, very well made, fantastic score, I love the idea of costumes being killers. And the fact that
    they kill off children is pretty bold for a horror movie, even at that time.
    Mr. Cochran is a great villain.

I think 4 is pretty strong. Danielle Harris did a great job and I love the Halloween atmosphere of 4. I don't like 5 because I much preferred Rachel as the heroine instead of Tina, who I find really irritating.

jason88cubs likes this.
  24. jason88cubs

Then killing off Rachel in part 5 so early was so stupid

Spastica likes this.
  25. jason88cubs

I thought Halloween 4 had the best "Halloween atmosphere" after the original, followed close by part 6

Spastica and Rough&Rowdy like this.