The Halloween Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Sep 26, 2020.

1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I
    II
    H20
    IV

I skip the rest.

For what it’s worth, I enjoyed the last part of Rob’s first movie. Basically the remake part. I hated him as a kid and Dr. Loomis sucked in those movies.

I also loved the mask in II (1981) with the blood coming from his eyes. It wasn’t as good as the original but still scary.

The directors cut of “The curse of MM” was better but still a disappointing ending.

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Anybody else love Halloween II (1981)? I think it's a fantastic sequel. Very tense in parts and great claustrophobic atmosphere. Michael is very scary in this one imo.

Matthew Tate and CowboyBill like this.
  3. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I love the vibe of 6. The visual palette is quite beautiful, and it has my second favourite Myers.

Perhaps I need to give 4 another try.

jason88cubs likes this.
  4. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

Trying to explain his origins and giving him some reasons for why he turned out like he did was the dumbest thing they could do and took away almost everything frightening about the character. In the original, Loomis tells us there is no rhyme or reason. He's just pure evil, and we don't know why. That is far more terrifying.

It's the same as Hannibal Rising. Why on earth do I need to know how he became a cannibalistic killer? I don't want to understand or sympathise with these characters. Less is more.

5. Welshman

Welshman Forum Resident

Saw the 2018 version last night. Thought it was OK. As anything previous after part 1 has been wiped out I didn't really buy the Laurie/Michael dynamic. Would she really be so sure he was coming for her when he had been locked up for 40 years? As part 2 never happened then they are not related and he never went after her in the hospital. She basically just got caught up in a random killing spree so why would he go after her or her family so specifically, know who they are, where she lives etc? Why not just move to another town instead of booby trapping your house for 40 years? The film tries to "have their cake and eat it" by implying some sort of relationship/ history and 'final showdown', based on events that the audience have seen but actually have never happened.

6. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Think the film itself is bad? Try listening to the DVD commentary with director Dominique Othenin-Girard. The man is utterly delusional.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Rupe33 likes this.
  7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

That poster must be a more recent airbrush, because the original release poster actually depicts Myers in the background strolling past (what is most certainly) the Wallace house from the original film...

[​IMG]

They were clearly doing everything possible to alert audiences to the return of The Shape after his complete absence from Halloween III: Season of the Witch. (Well, technically he's in it for 3 seconds, but still...)

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I reviewed this last year and didn't note anything unusual in my discussion, but I don't remember the commentary beyond what I wrote.

What was delusional in the commentary?

9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I have a soft spot for Halloween 6. The makers of the film nailed the autumn/Halloween atmosphere. The hospital scene at the end of the theatrical cut is one of the best moments in the entire series. I also like the scene when Debra is alone in the house with Michael. Daytime scenes tend to creep me out the most. We're programmed to feel safe at home during the day, so I always find it intense when Michael is wandering around in broad daylight. A few others that spring to mind: Molly seeing Michael through the gate in H20, Rachel alone in the house with Michael in H5, Michael slamming on the breaks when Annie shouts "Speed kills!" as he drives past, the gas station scene in H4 and the cemetery scene H '18.

The opening of Halloween 4 is one of the most effective in the horror genre. It oozes atmosphere. It was the first Halloween film I watched. My mum bought it for me on VHS when I was 14. I remember watching in my bedroom as it was getting dark outside. H20 came out a few months later when I was nearly 15. I had to wait until it was out to rent because I was too young to see it at the cinema. These two films have a lot of nostalgic value for me.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  10. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a bigger gap between Halloween H20 to now then the original Halloween to H20

Yep Feel old now?

mmars982 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Halloween H42

Jamie Lee Curtis is in a nursing home and thinks Micheal is after her jello.

rikki nadir, Kyle B, Johnny66 and 2 others like this.
  12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I remember that! I noticed it when I originally saw it on the movie poster when it was new and didn't even think to look on the poster I posted! I had no idea they changed it.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have an official VHS of an extended cut of the original "Halloween" with the extra scenes from the tv version edited into it. Is that available on DVD or Bluray?

14. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Most home video editions of Halloween (including the recent 4K disc) include the television scenes, but as separate extras, not integrated into the film.

yesstiles likes this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So is that a no?

16. SmallDarkCloud

A cut with the television scenes edited in, on blu ray or DVD? There was only one, as far as I know, a DVD released by Anchor Bay in 2000. It was an extra disc in a special edition of the theatrical cut. That one has been out of print for years (Anchor Bay no longer exists), and a copy will probably cost a good deal of money. I think that was the only time the television edit has been released officially, in the disc era, at least. You can find archival broadcasts of the television edit, with commercials, on YouTube and archive.org.

The Scream Factory special edition of Halloween II includes the television edit of that film on a bonus disc. That one is still in print. However... the television edit of II is abysmal. Badly re-edited, almost all of the violence cut - it's unwatchable.

altaeria, MikeInFla and yesstiles like this.
  17. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The television version of Halloween is so boring! And slow. Michael’s parole hearing - how exciting!

18. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Arise... zombie thread from the grave! I figured this would be the best one to post this breaking piece of news for those interested. It's looking like Halloween (1978) up through Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers will be getting released in 4K UHD from Scream Factory this September. There is no major details on each release yet, just the Amazon.com listings for new products. Dean Cundey posted a teaser instagram pic with Halloween (1978) playing in the background so a lot are hoping for a brand new 4K scan and color grading of the original film (I think that's highly doubtful, I would instead think he is just doing a new interview for bonus material).

I am definitely in for all 4 films, but Shout Factory have to acknowledge and correct some of the horrible mistakes that have been made in prior releases and give the fans the definitive versions we have been begging for. At the very least they need to do a fresh scan from the OCN of both Halloween II & 4, and release the original audio for all four movies. We shall see what happens once the press release is official from Shout Factory.

MikeInFla and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  19. SmallDarkCloud

The 4K of the original 1978 movie really needs the original mono soundtrack. When Scream Factory assembled their Halloween box set, they asked Trancas for the original mono track. It’s the only time the mono track has been available for Halloween on home video, at least in the disc era. The current 4K disc doesn’t even have it. As Scream Factory is overseeing these reissues, I’m optimistic that the original mono track will be offered again.

And, yes, it makes a difference. The stereo soundtrack used for all of the home video versions of Halloween was “sweetened” with additional sounds, louder sound effects, etc. I’ve watched the film with both soundtracks, and the difference is noticeable, even to a casual viewer.

JCRW likes this.
  20. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

I know that details aren't available for these yet, but does anyone know if these are going to be separate releases or some kind of box set. I'm all in for the first 3 but I have no need for the 4th one.

21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

They appear to be all separate releases.

22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I agree about the original mono soundtrack for the original 1978 film, that is really the major requirement that I am looking for. Although there was also an Aspect Ratio glitch reported in the first 4K release so that would need to be corrected (supposedly it moves from a 2:35:1 ratio to 2:40:1 ratio around the 40 minute mark of the film). I have no interest in the whole color grading debate... some of the fans are so hardcore with this film that they want 2 or 3 different color grades done to appease them which is downright stupid. Whatever Dean Cundey and John Carpenter approve I am fine with it.

hi_watt and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  23. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I hope they continue to release the series separately. I really have no need for 4,5,6,8 & the Zombie abominations on UHD. I’d pick up H20 though.

JCRW likes this.
  24. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I don't think Shout Factory would be able to do another Ultimate Edition Boxset of the Halloween franchise, they have always stated that the stars aligned at the right time to get the chance to release that one. It was definitely a one off opportunity. I am guessing more could be released later on but it all depends on who owns the rights to each film (from 5 to 8) and go from there. Rumors are that they have held off on a 4k UHD release for Halloween 5 due to recently unearthed footage that was left on the cutting room floor.

Shout Factory did confirm on their Facebook Page today that their September releases will be officially announced next week.

MikeInFla likes this.
  25. SmallDarkCloud

4 and 5 are owned by Trancas International (along with the 1978 movie). If Scream Factory has the license to release 4 on 4K UHD, they probably have (or will get) the license for 5 as well. 6 through 8 were made by Dimension Films, which no longer exists; I think Paramount has the Dimension catalog now.

The unearthed footage from 5 is probably the original opening. The film was originally shot with Michael Myers dying, then being resurrected by a character called Doctor Death, using black magic. It was reshot with Michael alive, barely, harbored by the hermit. I think the shoot-out at the police station in the climax was also severely cut down, as well, so it could be that.

One screen shot of Doctor Death from the discarded opening circulates around the Internet. I’m curious to see this opening, if that’s what it is, but 5 is pretty terrible.

JCRW and MikeInFla like this.