The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Hulu's not a station in cable packages. It's a service like Netflix.

2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Yes thank you. I understand that.

But whether I pay for Hulu, or Netflix, or a station like HBO. It's basically the same thing to get HBO or Hulu for the customer. You get that one stations, or services programming, for a monthly fee of $10-20.

For me it's the same thing, except Hulu has one show I really want to see & that's all. So, since I'm on a budget, I go with a station that has more programs I like, for the $20 monthly fee.

I'm paying about $150 monthly for cable TV, & about $50 for internet.

If I could just cut up that $150 cable, into the 10-12 stations or services I like, that would be great, but they don't let you.

Hence, I pay the $150, & each Hulu, or Showtime, or Netflix is $10-20 each. But I'm forced to pay that $150 off the top just to have cable at all. They give me a couple hundred stations, but I only watch 10-15 of them.

Anyway, one day I'll find a method, because I'm dying to see Handmaid's Tale, watch every episode ! I love the Dystopian novel & original film. I've watched the film with Robert Duvall at least 5-6 times. So 25-30 episodes ( as of next season ) would be Fab !!!

Actually I believe you can purchase DVD for season 1 now, or rent it. But that's a lot of trouble just to watch a show !!!

There's getting to be too many stations & services offering 1-2 killer great shows. It's getting to be where you have to get an extra 10-15 services per month. Too complicated & too expensive.

Sure if you're making 150 K per year, & you don't mind spending 7 grand a year on cable TV. But that's not me.

3. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

4. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

5. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Margaret Atwood, author of “The Handmaid’s Tale” — a dystopian novel about women living under an oppressive government who are forced to bear children for couples who can’t have their own — announced on TwitterWednesday morning that the story will continue in a new book.

“Yes indeed to those who asked: I’m writing a sequel to The #HandmaidsTale,” Atwood wrote.

According to the author, the book will be called “The Testaments,” and will be set 15 years after the final scene for the book’s protagonist, Offred, in the first novel.

Atwood told fans on Twitter that the new novel will be “narrated by three female characters,” and will be published next September.

Margaret E. Atwood

✔@MargaretAtwood

Yes indeed to those who asked: I’m writing a sequel to The #HandmaidsTale. #TheTestaments is set 15 years after Offred’s final scene and is narrated by three female characters. It will be published in Sept 2019.:

Atwood’s tweet included a short video describing why she’s publishing the sequel.

“Everything you’ve ever asked me about Gilead,” the fictional setting in the book, “and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book,” she said in a statement. “Well almost everything!”

The other inspiration?

“. . . The world we’ve been living in,” she said, a likely reference to the current administration’s policies — a subject she has tackled publicly before.
    Many others, including author Stephen King, have drawn parallels between current political events and Atwood’s classic novel.

John B Good, Scotian and mikeyt like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Ahrrgg matey there are ways...

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The most upbeat show on TV returns.....:D

Blessed be the fruit, ’cause Hulu has set the premiere date for Season 3 of “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

The Elisabeth Moss-led drama will return with three new episodes at once on Wednesday, June 5, the streamer announced during the Television Critics Association press tour Monday. Subsequent episodes will be released every Wednesday.

Per Hulu, the 13-episode third season of “The Handmaid’s Tale” is driven by June’s (Moss) resistance to the dystopian regime of Gilead and her struggle to strike back against overwhelming odds. Startling reunions, betrayals, and a journey to the terrifying heart of Gilead force all characters to take a stand, guided by one defiant prayer: “Blessed be the fight.”

misterdecibel, Encuentro and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah it’s brilliant.
    Season 3 this summer.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm halfway thru Season 2, and I'm at a wall. Season 2 is just terrible. So tedious and aimless now. Anyone else hate Season 2?

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i didn't hate it, but i laughed at the way it ended.

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I kept guessing wrong in the Second Season. I was hoping for other directions. Don't want to do any spoilers.

tvstrategies likes this.
  12. alexpop

General consensus seems to suggest your right.

13. alexpop

One aknowledgement in this dystopian themed series is a big yay to the maple leaf. :D

14. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I am not sure there was a general consensus beyond that season 2 had some editing and writing problems. But a general consensus that it was hated? I think that's quite an overstatement. Serena Joy's story line itself was good enough to make it worth watching, imo. And it left enough hanging to set up season 3, even if parts of the end of season 2 were imo quite problematic.

I am looking forward to season 3 with a mixture of hope and some trepidation.

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. alexpop

I enjoyed it myself. But most reviews I’ve read season 2 was disappointing.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed. While S2 departed slightly from the brilliance of S1, it was still a fantastic character driven drama with outstanding performances by the main cast.

17. Hardy Melville

Disappointing I can agree with if the standard is was season 2 as good as season 1 - most would say the answer is no. But that doesn't mean most hated it.

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I also feel that the inclusion of Bradley Whitford is what made the silliness of the end even palatable to me. I hope that isn't a spoiler as it seems pretty well-known that he joined at this point.

19. alexpop

Yes! I’m surprised by the comments re s2.
    As is, I rate this series very highly up there with Breaking Bad -MAD Men & Lost.

Scotian likes this.
  20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

You can "rent" (pay for) the first two seasons The Handmaiden's Tale, on Amazon, even if you don't have a prime membership: Amazon.com: Watch The Handmaid's Tale: Season 1 | Prime Video

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Season 2 did not have the advantage of being based on the book...

22. Hardy Melville

Writing for season 2 in drama based series is problematic. Series that are comedies can have an edge in season 2, since the audience is now used to the characters and get the comedic nature of the characters. Story lines are still important, but the series can succeed in humor.

But in a drama the writers started out season 1 not knowing they were going to have a season 2, so they have to take what they figure made season 1 successful ( and sometimes misread that), build upon it in a way that's persuasive while maintaining interest and plausibility, maybe chucking what didn't work in season 1 but doing so in a way that also maintains plausibility. there are also cast issues that become more problematic as the series stretches out.

I remember in Boardwalk Empire you had Paz de la Huerta's character in season 1 as Steve Buscemi's paramour, but who was being pushed out by Kelly Macdonald. But they still had her around at the end of season 1, so what were they going to do with her? They tried to make her Michael Shannon's character's lover, but that was failing too, so she was getting to be increasingly annoying. Finally they pulled the plug on her, but it was painful. Meanwhile they did not know what to do with Jimmy Darmody's wife's character, who they tried to make interesting with a lesbian angle, but that didn't work, either. Meanwhile the actor playing Jimmy Darmody was a problem on set, so they had to write him out. They eventually resolved all these issues, but replacing Jimmy Darmody itself left a vacuum. Point being season 2 can be a real issue for the writers for a variety of reasons and challenges.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I couldn’t get past about midway of season 2. It got really tedious.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  24. alexpop

Brought out the maternal in me. :D

25. alexpop

Paz de la Huerta? Didn’t Harvey Weinstein having something to do with her vacating the series ?