The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Apr 29, 2017.

1. ScorpSik

ScorpSik Well-Known Member

I enjoyed S4 much more than S3 or maybe even S2. This one - at least once she reached Canada - had a proper trajectory and plot arc. I am glad they 'went there' with June. She is beyond help/hope now, and surely S5 needs to be the last. In fact, I thought the final scene, with Luke's look of horror really ought to be The End.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Every diminishing returns with this series.
    Season 1 being the best.
    Just after watching season 4, the worst yet. Thought it was the end as well.

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Is it actually still running? Or are people confusing it with the nightly news?

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Not even close.

5. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

then you haven't been paying attention

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It was renewed for another season, after they'd already determined the Season 4 arc was the best place to wrap it. I fear the trajectory of the real world is eclipsing the speed of the production, and where they take the show will either seem prescient once it finally airs, or will sound a bit tone-deaf. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of last-minute tinkering behind the scenes right now.

Either way, so long as it lives up to Margaret Atwood's the author's intention for her own original work, I would be satisfied.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Sprague Dawley likes this.
  7. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

S5--back on!!

8. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Based on what I saw on the S5/Ep1, June's really taking it further into crazy town and diving head first into the deep end. Makes me think even more so now that that they should've ended it at the end of S4 which did provide some resolution/closure. At least they are calling it a day after this season.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Veltri likes this.
  9. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

If Moss' facial expressions last season were like a parody of the show, the first episode this season was beyond farcical.

Are they ending it? This plot looks like it may be milked another season or two.

Sprague Dawley and thgord like this.
  10. thgord

I recall reading that this was the final season.

Veltri likes this.
  11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Those first two episodes.... So...much...ACTING !!! Exhausting to watch.
    The Handmaid's Tale has become that kind of show that looks better than it is.

D.D.

'05Train and Leviethan like this.
  12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I wish they would wrap it up like the novel but you'll have to check second favorite website, notgonnahappen.com. I've read the sequel novel and I'm looking forward to seeing the story of the Aunts...

timind likes this.
  13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

NOVEL SPOILER COMING

I loved the book. But I think at this point after 5 seasons we need something more of a definitive ending than what Atwood gives us. Though the fast forward to future generations looking back at Gilead would be a cool shout out to the book (as was Serena's cigarette smoking in last episode, which I felt was more central to her character in book than the show ever made it.)

Didn't read the sequel yet. Read 4 or 5 pages in bookstore when it came out and didn't really grab me, but I'll probably revisit it at some point.

mdm08033 likes this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Watched the first episode. This should have ended two seasons ago. It’s now what my friend refers to as a “can kicker” show. It really has nothing new to explore. And yeah, the extreme closeups of Elizabeth Moss are extremely tiresome and cartoonish.

yesstiles and GentleSenator like this.
  15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Glad that I chose to bail. Sticking by it so far (I sometimes cave for completeness).

timind likes this.
  16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It has become a chore keeping up with this series. Do they not have psychiatrists in Canada? June needs one.

17. thgord

I was thinking the same thing. She needs to find someone to talk to, badly.

18. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

I have a feeling June is going to conspire to somehow kidnap Serena's baby.

Revenge Kidnapping.

Yesss!

mds likes this.
  19. misterdecibel

Well, apparently June has sought counseling...

Now, how did Serena Joy get Gilead to pay for stationery? Isn't that for people who can read? Didn't she lose a body part for reading?

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Like THE ONION, it will be difficult to keep the show ahead of reality.

21. misterdecibel

A twist ending that they telegraphed for half the show.

22. misterdecibel

I found the series finale surprisingly fitting. Not satisfying, necessarily, but true to life in that universe. No pat happy endings, but everyone seems to accept their fates.

hophedd likes this.
  23. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

Having read Atwood's sequel, I wonder if the final season will take Aunt Lydia's hinted direction further.

Diamond Dog and mdm08033 like this.
  24. misterdecibel

Oh, that wasn't the series finale? Damn.

25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A 6th and final season has been announced. If they eliminated the frequent close-ups of Moss’ face they could have shortened the show by at least one season! I thought season 5 had some surprising and even shocking developments. Still, it has been dragged out for too long, and I am not sure if I will watch the 6th season unless morbid curiosity takes over.