The Haunting (1963) *Appreciation*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ZackyDog, Nov 29, 2022.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi:

I finally got around to seeing this movie. I thought it had some great moments. I think Dan Curtis got some ideas from this movie for Dark Shadows (TV series), Night Of Dark Shadows and Burnt Offerings.

2. ZackyDog

3. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

Just watched this for the first time last month when it aired on TCM. Great film!

4. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Something I posted in 2013:
    “I saw this when I was 9 or 10 and it is STILL the scariest movie I've ever seen. I screamed in the theater and nothing came out. Finally saw the remake on cable last week and it stunk.”

5. ZackyDog

6. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Very scary movie. The book scared me even more. Shirley Jackson - one of the best.

7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The logical follow up would be The Legend of Hell House (1973) if you haven't seen it.

jwoverho, badfinger54 and ZackyDog like this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Best 'supernatural' film I've seen. Avoid the risible remake at all costs

9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This is an amazingly horrifying film on many levels. It has the black and white atmosphere, psychological levels of interpretation, the supernatural levels of interpretation, sheer visceral horror and outstanding performances by all actors, especially Julie Harris. The book by ShirleyJackson is a masterpiece of psychological other-ness horror. In the footsteps of Henry James’s masterpiece, “ The Turn of the Screw”. One of the all time classics.

Macman, Alien Reg and ZackyDog like this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Beautifully atmospheric, it scared the poop out of me when I saw it at around 11 years old. That scene where Harris realizes it was a supernatural entity that held her hand stayed with me for years.

11. ZackyDog

12. I love the film. One of Wise’s great ones and I love the way he composes his images.

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I was going to say that The Innocents is probably the second best 'supernatural' film I've seen.

14. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I have an aunty who used to look like Claire Bloom does in this movie.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

In truth, there aren't that many truly scary movies. But this is one of them. It's just wonderful in every way. That door!

A true classic.

16. ZackyDog

Aunty Alien Reg?

17. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Well, we don't call her that.

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Exactly, the 'effects' are limited and it plays on generic memory, allowing the audience some room... I've nothing against those 'upfront' shockers, but I prefer the more subtle stuff. Reminds me of the debate around Tiourneur's Night of the Demon. A great film, but would it have been better had it not shown the demon itself? Mostly, I think it would, but there are times, I'll admit, when it works for me.

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I saw this in 1963 when I was 11 years old and this movie scared me big time. I still love it.

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I pretty much exclusively watch horror movies, it's just my thing. Those "stab" so called "scares" are terrible and lazy. If a film uses too many of them I have to turn it off. The thing about The Haunting is, it's in no hurry, it can be subtle and builds tension. Too few horror films remember this and try to go straight for the jugular, failing in the process.

21. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Robert Wise's director's commentary for "The Haunting" is well worth a listen for some great insights from a master of the craft of popular film-making.

22. ZackyDog

23. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

YouTube is full of "the scariest clips" which simply do not work outside of context. "The Haunting" is a great example. People just watch the short clips and say, well that isn't scary. But this movie will stop your heart.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

A beautiful film in every aspect: Wise’s direction, the wonderful acting of the cast, brilliant cinematography and sound design.

THE INNOCENTS would make a great double feature.

25. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

:shake:
    1. The Innocents
    2. The Woman In Black (1989)
    3. The Haunting

Mesozoic Mike likes this.