The history of the 45 adaptor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PaulKTF, Oct 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

yeah, his videos are within the top 1% of Retro Tech-Hifi-Music related videos i have seen: There are a bunch of channels I feel don't get enough love

If I had to make a "go check out" list it would be something like this

1. Techmoan
    2. Technology Connections
    3. Vinyl Rewind
    4. VWestlife
    5. The 8-bit guy
    6. Modern Classics
    7. TJR
    8. ANA(DIA)LOG
    9. This Does Not Compute
    10. Steve Guttenburg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    vwestlife likes this.
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

We've done this before, or maybe on another board.

The early 45s in this country had detachable centres secured by either three or four prongs.
    I always asumed that these were imports. Over time this facility changed and the centres became solid, probably because most of the records here were now produced in the UK.

Jukeboxes in the USA usually took records with large holes. American phonographs (record players to us) usually could tajke either. You could remove the small hole spindle used for the auoto play function and replace it with a large hole centre that sat on a pin in the corner of the phonograph when not in use.
    Some jukeboxes produced in the USA for the UK, had turntables designed to take small hole records. I've two jukes both made in the USA, one takes small hole records the other large hole. Many jukeboxes were produced for the UK that could take either. There are pins in the centre of the turntable that accept the large hole records, but get pushed down by the force of the gripper arm if it places a small hole record on the turntable. The pins come back up again when the record is removed.

You can still buy these adaptors for the records on e-Bay.

I f you've a turntabe that will only take large hole records, you can buy a "dinker" to cut out a large hole.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Most Reggae selectors would punch out the centres on UK 7"s, it's a lot easier to take records on and off the single deck or flip them over for the version with a large centre hole and a good domed or pointed adapter on the deck plus Jamaican singles have a large centre. It's very disconcerting when you sell someone a rare and expensive record and they pop the centre out in front of you.:shake:

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Mind you, some records need a fair bit of "popping." I've often had to take a pair of wire cutters to the tiny bits of plastic attaching the centre to the body of the record.

Dubmart likes this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Older records Yes!
    Primarily on the Polydor label too!
    Looking like this:
    [​IMG]

anorak2 likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's true and you've made me remember that some people glue the middles back in, bizarrely sometimes the middle from a different label.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks that was interesting...I used to love the stackable 45 adapter on my parents consul Hi Fi...

All Down The Line likes this.
  8. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

The London American label was part of Decca. I have "Great Balls Of Fire" by Jerry Lee Lewis on London American with the same centre.

Decca also pressed and distributed RCA, so early Elvis singles on RCA Victor looked the same as did, obviously, anything on the Decca label.

9. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

10. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I have a shirt like that with a yellow adaptor,

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You are both adaptable!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

You love this stuff @All Down The Line doncha?
    :D

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yep even though Iam over 45!

14. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Only for Jukeboxes and sellers of discs from, otherwise you get the original spindle hole which is all we need.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You forgot the original RCA changer for 45 RPM discs. Which is why we have the large hole. Similar phonos with similar changers were made by other companies well into the 1950's.

16. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

17. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

When I played vinyl (45s and LPs), I tried the permanent 45 adapter (where you put it in the hole in the 45 and leave it there) and I ended up cracking the edge of the hole. After that, I went with a hockey-puck style adapter (when you need it just put on the center spindle and it perfect centers the 45) that came with my turntable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.