The Hollies: "Changin' Times" Track By Track Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cameron.39, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I’ve got this LP arriving tomorrow with some LPs I’ve ordered for my dad for Christmas. Excited to give it a spin front to back. A month ago I wouldn’t have dreamed of even bothering to listen to this album - the power of these threads!

Jjuanjo, Billo, BeSteVenn and 4 others like this.
  2. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's superb! I really hope this thread can open many fan's ears to the Hollies' music after Graham Nash left. Once we get 'Sing Dylan' out of the way, things get really interesting. I have to admit, I can be very slow to delve deeper into the back catalogue of an artist until I get to read or watch something that delves a bit deeper and adds in the story of the artist around it. So I find threads like this for other artists very interesting. It's nice to be able to offer something up by my favourite band so that more people can explore their music.

jeremylr, Jjuanjo, Billo and 4 others like this.
  3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I've had this LP languishing unloved, but thanks to this thread, it's been dusted down and played again. As for my view on it, it's not changed too much, it's fine for what it is, but it's not one I'll go back too ahead of some of the upcoming albums which will be discussed in this thread over the coming weeks and months.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  4. FJFP

It helps that I’ve “borrowed” my Dad’s copy of Hollies Sing Hollies, so I’m getting ready to dive in one after the other.

CheshireCat and pablo fanques like this.
  5. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Just Like A Woman' - good version. They sure pulled out all the stops with the production on this one. I don't like it as much as the Manfred Mann version though. 3/5

CheshireCat and pablo fanques like this.
  6. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Just Like A Woman is one of the songs that grabs me sometimes. I'm just not a massive fan of the album.

It's really Allan's vocal that makes it. I particularly like the BBC In Concert live version.

CheshireCat likes this.
  7. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

This is not in the top few songs on the LP . I'd put it somewhere in the middle. 3.5/5

CheshireCat likes this.
  8. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

nice keyboards work presumably by Bernie Calvert on this rather 'moody' a little meandering but spot on unusual take on a great Dylan number

Allan Clarke indeed really shines here with a 'cool' rather understated opening vocal style - ascending to a more powerful 'pleading' and in places almost 'talking' vocal delivery on the bridge section....and note Clarke shoots up through the vocal gears to power out his lead over the closing harmonies as the song fades out...

Terry Sylvester's voice really stands out on the harmonised lines too - notably at; 'breaks just like a little girl...'

Vocal harmonies are both 'loose' and gloriously tight in differing places on this version

the slow paced almost 'mournful' brass accompaniment really adds to the reflective nature of this version which as Cameron states is so far removed from the very commercial style of Manfred Mann's hit single (which I like a lot as well being their all important 1966 first hit with Mike d'Abo proving they too could survive the exit of a major band figure of their original lead singer Paul Jones - who then toured solo with The Hollies in both 1966 and 1968)

A further irony being the other ex-Manfred Mike Vickers arranged the accompaniment on The Hollies 'Blowin in The Wind'

At first This Hollies subtle atmospheric version of 'Just Like A Woman' didn't grab me much...but now I think it's a gem !

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  9. Cameron.39

Track 11, Disc 1; 'When The Ship Comes In'

The fast-paced album opener that gives Tony's banjo another workout is a somewhat middling cover for me. It sounds like they're "going through the motions" a bit rather than performing it. Allan's vocal is unusually uninspired. As a side note, listening to Allan's superb 2019 comeback solo LP, 'Resurgence', he really hits upon his longstanding commitment to writing poetic lyrics that have some kind of deep meaning or tell a story. I can't imagine him being the big Dylan fan in the group because although Bob Dylan is often referred to as a poet, he's more of a wordsmith who writes clever but often non-sensical lyrics. Allan Clarke's style was exactly the opposite of that in the sense that he's very direct with what he's trying to say. So perhaps that explains his rather dry delivery of 'When The Ship Comes In', which like many Dylan songs, doesn't grab me as being particularly engaging nor have a memorable melody. I like Tony's banjo part, Bobby's unusual choice to just play his drum sticks and Bernie's thumping bass. But otherwise, it's a "meh" from me. 2.5/5.

Jjuanjo, FJFP and BeSteVenn like this.
  10. Two Sheds

'When the Ship Comes In' - I love this song, and the Hollies' version of it. I like the arrangement and the pacing of it, and the harmonies are spot on. One of my favorites on the LP. "Oh, the seas will split, and the ship will hit." 5/5

pablo fanques and BeSteVenn like this.
  11. FJFP

I enjoyed having a listen to that, but I do agree Allan could’ve given it a better shot. I know he’s looked back on his performance on that album is middling, and sometimes, I agree, but he did knock it out the park too!

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  12. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

A sort of ragtime style arrangement is a bit of a surprise to kick off the HSD album tho' the tinkling keyboards are a nice feature here

Vocally it's Clarke, then Clarke-Sylvester then with first a vocal 'oooohhhh....' we hear Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester from the 'chains of the sea...' line

Allan Clarke does sound somewhat 'on auto pilot' here tho' still quite competent of course unlike Terry Sylvester who clearly has great enthusiasm at doing his new high harmony and co-lead close harmony vocal job !

Both on this album and in that Golders Green Hippodrome concert screened by BBC TV from February 1969 the sheer delight Terry Sylvester has at stepping up into a major hit making chart institution band shines through and Terry's positive injection into the group is a vital asset at this time as Allan Clarke finds his feet as the main front figure in the band minus his 'brother' Graham Nash

Although in that live in Finland I think TV performance posted above Tony plays bass guitar (!) his banjo is given another all too rare but great outing here which along with Bernie's keyboard work really do lift the version

Not the most dynamic opening track for HSD - maybe 'Wheels on Fire' should have kicked things off ?- it nevertheless is a nice enough version

AKA-Chuck G and CheshireCat like this.
  13. AKA-Chuck G

I am going to start rating songs on the 100 point scale. For me, a 3.5/5 translates to a 70-its just not fine enough.

'When The Ship Comes In'- Its just ok so I give it a middle C. 75/100 :wave:

CheshireCat likes this.
  14. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

It's all very fine margins...

AKA-Chuck G likes this.
  15. Cameron.39

Track 12, Disc 1: 'My Back Pages'

I very very seldom would pick a song by someone else over the Hollies, but for me, the Byrds have the definitive version of this song. The Hollies' version is lacking any emotion, like a few of the other HSD covers that we've mentioned. Even the intro seems a bit throwaway, the lowly organ and Bobby's simple beat. But it kicks up a notch when that deep bass note comes in and then Bobby kicks into gear. It's a pleasant enough cover, with the brass arrangement very of it's time. The harmonies are tight and again, Terry Sylvester proves that he's more than capable of filling Graham Nash's shoes... 3/5 from me.

CheshireCat likes this.
  16. Cameron.39

Track 13, Disc 1: 'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight'

I decided to rattle a few off as it's Saturday and the thread seems to be losing momentum! We're nearly through Hollies Sing Dylan!

This is a performance from 'Hollies In Concert' from 1969, but it's just them miming to the record, presumably because of Allan's harmonica track that interjects the vocals. I like this one, it's very moving and emotive. Allan seems to have his mojo back for these vocals, putting in a strong performance with nice contrasting dynamics between the verses, chorus and the middle eight. I love how his harmonica in places mimics a slide guitar, I wonder if that was intentional? Either way, it sets the mood perfectly. No major drumming from Bobby, but that to me is why he's one of the best - he plays to suit the song, not to show off. He provides the steady beat and Bernie plods along with him on bass and the whole thing just fits nicely. The three way harmonies are strong here as well, with Tony way up in the mix. 4/5.

17. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Re 'My Back Pages' - I have to agree - The Byrds version is my own favorite even over Dylan himself !

For me the additional accompaniment on The Hollies version seems a shade overblown as if they wern't really sure of their version and added orchestrated parts to bolster it up - which rather detracts from the fine vocal harmony work notably by Terry Sylvester that seems a bit pushed back by the almost big band style accompaniment

I wonder what a "Hollies only" version (minus the somewhat OTT accompaniment) of 'My Back Pages' might sound like....?

CheshireCat likes this.
  18. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight' - my fav version of this, the three way vocal harmonies are supreme again amazing to think Terry Sylvester was a 'Hollie' for just a few weeks when they did the vocals for this one

Great wailing harmonica and powering lead vocal by Allan Clarke make this a standout cover on HSD for me

CheshireCat likes this.
  19. Two Sheds

'My Back Pages' - have to agree, though I enjoy this version. It is perhaps a bit overproduced. In any event, it pales in comparison to the one by the Byrds. I'll give this one - 3/5

CheshireCat, Billo and pablo fanques like this.
  20. Two Sheds

'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight' - agree on this one too. Definitely one of the best tracks on the LP. The harmonies are sensational - great job, Terry! My favorite version of this song. 4/5

21. AKA-Chuck G

My Back Pages- Of course the Byrds version overshadows the Hollies. 98/100 Byrds 79/100 Hollies

'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight'- Agree with it being one of the standout tracks. Love that wailing harmonica and singing. 92/100

22. Cameron.39

Track 14, Disc 1: 'All I Really Want To Do'

You may be pleased to hear, this is the last 'Sing Dylan' track on the boxset...! And thankfully we're going out on a high!

I don't have a clue how the Hollies managed to pull out a completely different arrangement of this when we already had Dylan's original, Cher's fantastic re-interpretation and the Byrds' soft rock version, both immediately seen as classics and ironically battled each other out on the US charts for the No.1 and No.3 spot respectively at the time. Bob Dylan must have been laughing all the way to the bank back in 1965 when that happened...
    Anyway, the Hollies really pull it out of the bag with this one. An exciting re-working that alternates between 4/4 and 3/4 time (just like "Pay You Back With Interest" did) and the benefit of this arrangement is that the song really kicks up a gear into the choruses to give them maximum impact. You've got an enormously confident lead vocal from Allan with Terry soaring confidently beside him. I could almost swear that we can hear Bobby singing the very lowest line on the acapella intro too, there's another song from 1970/71 that he joins in on though I can't remember which one it is off the top of my head. There's an exciting tempo to it and it's great to hear the steel drums back, as they fit seamlessly into this track more so than they do on 'I Shall Be Released'. I think it's great, 5/5 from me.

Tomorrow we'll start on the first of the 'Hollies Sing Hollies' tracks, which get off to a slightly shaky start, but soon rapidly improve...

23. Two Sheds

'All I Really Want To Do' - I like the a capella intro. Good harmonies throughout. It's certainly a creative arrangement, with the steel drums and the time changes in the first two verses. In the end, though, I'll take the Byrds' version. 3/5

pablo fanques likes this.
  24. AKA-Chuck G

Blocked video again....

'All I Really Want To Do' - I'll give this a 85/100 for the Hollies version. I honestly don't think I really like the song any better than that-regardless of who covered the song. The Byrds version, same thing, sure, it sounds like the Byrds but I'd give that an 85 also. :laugh: And then to top it off, I checked out Bryan Ferry's version. It IS different but, again 85. :yikes:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  25. Two Sheds

Yeah, I was blocked from watching that last video too. I found another one that I could use.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.