The Holy Grail of Amplifiers is here Nord Acoustics Hypex NC1200 Stereo.

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Soundlabs, Feb 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundlabs

Soundlabs Reference Townshend Audio Dealer. Thread Starter

This is for anyone interested in owning a very special class D amplifier that will be your last ever purchase.

OVERVIEW OF HYPEX NC1200
    We are exited to offer our new Hypex NC1200 based amplifier using Hypex's best module and Nord REV D buffer boards.

Until recently the Hypex NC1200 was only available to a few Manufactures and with amplifiers costing upwards of £10K. We had access to the module but with a minimum pricing policy of £6.5K decided was to expensive for a boutique manufacture like Nord. A recent change in pricing policy means we are free to price as we feel fit. Without the expensive infrastructure of distributors , dealers, Reps, advertising, shows and other expensive we can bring you this exhaulted amplifier at a reasonable cost.

Using Hypex NC1200 modules powered by Hypex SMPS1200A700 PSU's and a bespoke Nord Buffer designed specifically for the NC1200 and housed in our SE case work.

The amp is packed with high end components from mains inlet to the speaker binding posts.

Furutech FI-06 solid Copper Gold IEC mains inlet with Furutech FP-SO22N mains cable throughout. Furutech FT-786F R Rhodium XLR Sockets. WBT-0705Ag Signature Nextgen Solid Silver Conductor binding posts and connected by Neotech UP-OCC 14AWG Solid OCC Copper wire. Fuses TBC. No sonic stone unturned.

The new NC1200 bufferboard uses two Op Amps per channel and runs even further into Class A delivering up to 250mA of Class A current fed into the Hypex NC1200 module. The result is more tonal depth, dramatic improvement in bass, even greater depth of soundstage, slightly more detail all wrapped in a balance of rich texture and harmonics, bottom-end presence , amazing dynamics, exquisite resolution in the mids and upper frequencies, and a fully revealed, fully dimensional sound stage Headroom and listening volumes have increased and all combine in a totally musical non fatiguing Class A sound. Gone, if there was any hint, of solid state amplifier.

The MKI uses REV C Buffer Board with choice of Sparkos SS3602 or Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps.

After an intense development and Op Amp evaluation we tried 3 op amps, from John Hardy, Sonic Imagery and Sparkos Labs. Despite excellent reports on the John Hardy 990C we preferred the Sparkos 2590 and Sonic Imagery 990 Enh. Both are excellent the difference in presentation is less than with the previous versions we used. We much prefer the Sonic Imagery. The Power sections Panasonic electrolytic capacitors value were chosen to deliver the best and fastest combination of attack and sustain the bass notes, small values have a faster flinch capacity to deliver crisp bass. To small and they run out of power to deliver sustained bass. We evaluated multiple devices before settling on 22uF.

The new REV D buffer will also accept the two previous Op amps The SI994 and the Sparkos SS3602 in DIP8 packages. We have also further enhanced the peripheral circuit implementing further counter noise reduction. The new REV D is 100% compatible with our previous MKI amp and offer upgrades to the new spec.

The new amp also benefits from a new symmetrical internal and rear panel layout resulting in shorter internal cable runs. We have also rebated the front Stainless Steel switch for a cleaner front panel (photos are not rebated) which has a Dim and Off setting via the back panel.

Colin sells direct without the need of dealers margins to keep costs low,

If you are interested you can contact Colin direct please mention the Steve Hoffman forums as the place you heard about the amplifier,

Colin is always trying to keep costs low and tries to avoid advertising overheads he will appreciate you telling him you read about the amplifier hear on Steve Hoffman Forums.

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I’m probably not worthy of the grail.

Stone Turntable and timind like this.
  3. Soundlabs

HI you are worthy of the Holy Grail we all are.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

What's with the blatant ad-copy posts?

Archguy likes this.
  5. Soundlabs

I thought it made interesting reading, and i couldn't be bothered to write it all myself.

Is it not allowed to share findings regarding new products from the internet ?

6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

"uses two op-amps"........... that is not a good sign!

7. Soundlabs

Why is that please ?
    I had my Nord amplifiers upgraded to REV D boards and 2 x OP-AMPS in each output channel and the sound improvements was very impressive,
    Have you heard the Nord amplifiers ?

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Never heard an op-amp deliver best audio. Perhaps the absolute latest op-amps are better, but I know what I heard over the years. Newer Burr-Brown is not bad, but carefully implemented discrete transistor design is usually better. I have not heard the Nord, but I use a custom tube amp with $550 Mullard 12AX7 MC-1 tubes as my reference amp. I am sure the Nord is a fine amp, but the reference of 'Holy Grail' of all amps with op-amps has me on the fence. Sorry. Reading your info, you have a very serious sound system and an amplifier is only part of the system with speakers and sources adding about 50% of the final result. Congrats.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    McLover likes this.
  9. Soundlabs

I am no engineer of any kind but i can say without doubt the Nord amplifiers i have sound exceptional with very low running costs,

I am more satisfied with my current system to the one i owned 10 years ago which cost approx 500,000 gbp, maybe with age you learn to appreciate things more,

I do regret selling my JBL Everest but needs must.

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Your system with sources and speakers likely sounds better than my tube system with Revel Performa M22 speakers. Amps are only 50% of the sound and you may have the best solid-state amp ever made. Again, congrats. I also found the Sparkos op-amp is not really an op-amp package, but a fully discrete design performing like a high gain op-amp. This changes the 'game'.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How about a link to more information about this amp?

12. Soundlabs

When the children get home i will ask one of them to provide a link, it is a new product so there is not much about it other than what i have posted, you can always contact Colin he sells directly to anyone and is very helpful, i hope this helps.

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Personally I am very suspicious when something is presented as Holy Grail.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

A Holy Gail?

I've already got one - thanks
    [​IMG]

:winkgrin:

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If the company that builds this amp is reputable they will have a website. I'm curious about the amp as I have four Wyred 4 Sound amps. I have no desire to contact Colin just would like further information. I agree with what others have said in regard that claiming anything in audio is the "Holy Grail" is a bit suspect.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Soundlabs

HI The website is Nord Acoustics, i currently use the Nord one UP NC500MB with REV D upgrades fitted with Sonic Imagery OP-AMPS, the sound is exceptional i am very interested in this new Nord amplifier as well, all i can find i have posted.

17. timind

timind phorum rezident

Of course this is true only until the NC1500 comes out.

ayrehead likes this.
  18. Soundlabs

Yer great point.

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

To explain my earlier post better, the difference in fully discrete op-amp vs a normal op-amp. Per the Sparko op-amp site:
    The impact on the Maverick D2 DAC is to lift it from a very good $250 device to something equivalent to a $1500 DAC.

20. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

BLUE CIRCLE NSL amplifier
    288 signal op-amps connected in parallel
    producing 28 watts of nirvana!

Google it

21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

22. Soundlabs

Shiver likes this.
  23. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I've been interested in trying a Nord amp but haven't had luck finding a U.S. source. Anyone selling these online here in the colonies?

24. Soundlabs

HI all i can add is the sound of my Nord one UP NC500MB with REV D upgrades are "stunning"
    Contact Colin direct he may have some good news for you regarding a US Dealer for the near future.

25. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Unfortunately I'd probably pass on an amp that doesn't have a dealer network here in the U.S., no matter how great it might sound. Too bad because I've always heard great things about the Nord Acoustics class-d gear.

Massimoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.