The Hong Kong Audio Experience

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Richard Austen, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted these videos in a thread somewhere but with most folks stuck at home with Covid - I figure I would post the eye candy video of an Italian Audiophile wandering the shops of Hong Kong.

I have seen these shops many a time. See if you spot your favorite gear. And see if we are paying too much in Hong Kong.

$7,800 HKD +$1,000 USD (give or take a couple bucks). There is no tax in HK.

This is a used item seller in Sham Shui Po. I almost bought a pair of Reference 3a MM De Capo's here. They cover it with plastic to keep everything clean.

2. Richard Austen

This building is in MongKok 18 or so floors of dealers

Everyday is like an audio show here.

sunrayjack, jonwoody, bever70 and 4 others like this.
  3. Richard Austen

Part two

Really cool Line Magnetic Amplifier - the tube rises and falls - save your money! 212 tubes are monstrously expensive.

Jim N., Tlay and russk like this.
  4. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Really neat stuff... Wondering what's the purpose, if any, of the books placed on top of some of the components?

5. Richard Austen

I was in this Hi-Fi Supermarket in Tokyo in late January.

Japanese prices $110,000 YEN = $1,020USD

Tim 2 and russk like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Wow! Lots of stereo gear in that place.

7. Richard Austen

Vinyl is alive in Hong Kong -Part 1

sunrayjack likes this.
  8. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing!

Richard Austen likes this.
  9. eltigreferoz

eltigreferoz Forum Resident

Nice. Thanks for sharing. I actually follow this fellow’s Instagram account—it’s a good one.

10. JRJ

JRJ Forum Resident

Wow! Eye candy for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers;
    John

11. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Wow!!....i have a tough time deciding between 2 or 3 components at the local store here....i would absolutely loose my mind over there:)

Swann36 and Richard Austen like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I like the part where he gets to the end of one section and says, ok cheap, it's a macabre ending.:laugh:

13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I have only watched the Tokyo one and I can see if someone lock me up in there it will take many weeks before I get bored.

14. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Thanks for sharing Richard its very interesting & reminds me somewhat of the electrical shops that used to be in Tottenham Court Road London in the late 1970s ..stuffed full of all sorts of gear it was fascinating to look around as a teenager

15. Richard Austen

I popped by the dealer in the first video I posted and looked around to see what there - a lot as usual.

And what was playing I was so tempted to buy. I was looking around for an external phono stage or possibly a Solid State amplifier for a second system. But a pair of Reference 3a Midi Master speakers caught my attention. They were in mint condition especially since I believe the last pair was made in 1992 and then became the MM De Capo - but the Master series was the superior line in my opinion and so too a dealer for the brand back then (made in France) before moving to Canada. They sound a lot better than the new way more expensive current line with BE tweeters. The original French Designer Daniel Dehay left or retired and it has not for me been the same. I live in a fairly small apartment and the De Capo would be my fourth pair of speakers :crazy:

Why them- this was one of the first speaker lines I salivated after and to hear them again - well actually for the first time since they are the precursor to the De Capo - I have to say I think I like these a fair bit more.

I elected to leave - the price was pretty high at $6,800HKD which $870 for a 30 year old speaker. Still they were sounding pretty great - willpower - I must have willpower.

Yes they had similarly priced ProAc, Spendor, Harbeth, B&W all over the shop - but IMO this is the prize of the lot.

Ugly buggers. (sample pictures - not from the store) They use 8 inch woofers in a crossover-less design utilizing the slope of the baffler to integrate drivers (I think - this has been a looong time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's nice to hear speakers that stand the test of time and would not be out of place with modern speakers. The 8 inch woofers still have thunder and the integration of drivers was good.

I listened to a few other speakers at double the price today that were new - none of them were as good. They were being driven by an old Esoteric amp and CD player.

I am going to try and talk myself out of buying them. Left brain versus Right brain :wantsome::blah:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    jonwoody likes this.
  16. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

In Seoul there is also a Street (don’t think I wohl ever find it again alone)
    Tons of beautiful vintage stuff there, I bought on 2 different occasions a Sansui Monster (sold again)
    and a Pioneer SX 1010 (a keeper).
    Since COVID everything is so far away now :(

17. Richard Austen

Adding a few photos of some Hong Kong showrooms over the years

Reference 3a and MSB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B&W 801Matrix with Mingda and Cayin amplifiers - the big ones at the back are the Mingda Power amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  18. Richard Austen

Various audio shops
    Triode Corp Japan (Red and silver tube amps) - Magnepan, Paradigm, Vivid Audio
    [​IMG]

Tuuuuuuuubes

[​IMG]

Cayin amplifiers and Acoustic Zen

[​IMG]

Speeeeeakers

[​IMG]

19. Richard Austen

Rosso Fiorintino speakers - I liked these. Model: Certaldo

[​IMG]

More Speeeeeeekers!

Be a jerk and ask to audition the ones at the back :)

[​IMG]

Hit Audio - where I bought my Line Magnetic 219IA (the BIG black amp - I bought the silver hammertone version with silver cap upgrade) ATC SCM 100 speakers, Rogua Audio and Melody Valve Audio amplifiers.

[​IMG]

20. Richard Austen

Other dealers

Clearaudio Statement turntable VTL amplifiers and humongous speakers
    [​IMG]

VPI tables

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nagra amplifiers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody and struttincool like this.
  21. Richard Austen

Rogers' new LS-3/5a with Audio Note Cobra integrated and Roksan Radius 7 turntable

[​IMG]

All Audio Note UK

[​IMG]

JC Verdier turntable

[​IMG]

Trenner and Freidl Showroom

[​IMG]

Viva Tube amplifiers - silver one is JC Verdier

[​IMG]

22. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

HK is a heaven for Audiophiles. Wide selections and prices are competitive.

23. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Awesome thread Richard loved the first two videos! But you need to do some videos in English for us! :)

24. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Thanks for such a very interesting Thread, this is some good stuff indeed :nauga:

25. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

This is not from Hong Kong, but Japan. I hope you don't mind Richard Austen. I think the experience is kinda the same, when you are shopping for gear in Japan, Singapore or Japan?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.