The (Hopefully) Ultimate King Diamond/Mercyful Fate Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marblesmike, Nov 28, 2012.

1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't seen one on here yet so here it goes.

GrandmaaaaAAAAA!!!!!

Any KD fans here? Anyone see footage from his 2012 festival appearances? The voice is in great shape!

Just getting into this stuff now. Loving the early Mercyful Fate stuff and the first few KD albums. Any recommendations?

Greenalishi and ceddy10165 like this.
  2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Lots of great soundboard recordings of their early shows if you know where to look.

There was supposed to be double disk DVDs of both Fate and King out awhile back.

Check out the reunion they did with Metallica last year for Metallica 's 30th anniversary.

3. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Hail!

King is a real force of nature for sure. You can't go wrong with any of his catalog (his vocal and songwriting abilities have not really "aged" much-he can still sound like a demon), but "Melissa", "Don't Break the Oath" ("A Dangerous Meeting" has to be one of the best Metal songs ever recorded), and the first 3 King solo albums are stone-cold classics.

4. A casual fan here, but I am always on the lookout for the first few albums on vinyl when I shop around.

Musicianship on those albums is top notch. Riff-tastic!

moodyxadi likes this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Glad to here he has recovered from his medical issues. Looking forward to seeing him again.
    I took my then 8 year old son to see him for his birthday, we were right up front. I let a roady know it was his birthday and at the end of the show the band comes up and each member shook my sons hand and wished
    him happy bday giving him there sticks,picks and song list. Then king lastly gets down on one knee shakes his hand,happy bday and does that laugh he does.
    What a class act. made my sons day special. I have been a fan a long time first seeing the Oath tour.
    This was 6 years ago last tour he did maybe before he had heart trouble.
    Royal oak music theatre they were doing the Abigal anniversary or something.

6. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Would love to see King on tour. Horns up!

7. marblesmike

Yeah I'm hoping he tours again. He says since he's gotten over his medical issues that his health is better than ever. Eating healthy and quitting smoking has made his voice better than ever. He said in a recent interview he wishes he had never smoked.

8. neonknight5150

neonknight5150 Member

For the record I am obsessed with the playing of Andy LaRoque, Michael Denner, Pete Blakk and Mike Wead.

On a separate note I dislike how King no longer records the guitar parts for his albums with a mic'd up amplifier anymore. Instead he has LaRoque and Wead record direct input via a Line 6 POD, a solid state multi-effect guitar processor. For me this ruins 2002's Abigail II: The Revenge for me. Musically it was amazing. The songs rocked, the solos and riffs were excellent, but the cheap plastic guitar sound kills me every time. King Diamond says recording DI with the POD saves time and claims it sounds just as good as a live amp (sounds nothing like one.) Lazy much? I'm not sure when exactly he began using the POD (possibly with 1998's Voodoo?), but man do I yearn for the cranked up Marshall sounds of The Eye and Conspiracy. Night and day difference.

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

10. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Fatal Portrait and Conspiracy are my favourite examples of Kings awesomeness :agree:

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

King is one of my favorite Metal singers. Very underrated. I like pretty much everything he's done.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. Jochen

Jochen Forum Resident

King Diamond rules. Not sure if I could pick between KD or MF, but that's okay, both are incredible.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I will never forget it. I was maybe 14 or 15 flipping through the records at the store and come across the nuns record. Never heard of them. bought it and never looked back.
    Completely mesmerized by the Melisa record at the time shortly there after. I have some photos I took from the first couple of King tours I will try to scan and post them.
    Fatal ones are pretty cool because he played a little Detroit dive called Blondie's for that tour.
    They toured with megadeath and the owner was a shady guy who overbooked the club and the fire marshal shut down the show so only King played. He was the headliner but wanted to
    go on first.

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  14. marblesmike

Would LOVE to see any photos you could post!

15. murga

murga Forum Resident

Got to them through Metallica's covers on Garage Inc,and actually saw Mercyful Fate opening for 'tallica in Budapest some thirteen years ago.

16. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Them and Fatal Tour

Attached Files:

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

More pictures

Attached Files:

18. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Posted

marblesmike likes this.
  19. marblesmike

Awesome! Long live the King.

Great shots and thanks for posting them!

20. You just can't replicate the tones of an old Marshall or Mesa (for Metallica's tone) with one of those PODs... I've known a few folks using them for recording, but it just doesn't sound the same.

:)

21. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I'm a huge advocate of 'Melissa.'

The sound quality on my current copy which replaced a long lost mid 80's CD continues to delight: it's a Roadrunner re-release from 2003 (marketed as "two from the vault") including the late 80's 'The Beginning' comp which was made up of the 1982 'Nuns Have No Fun' EP and some 1983 BBC Radio 1 'Friday Rock Show' sessions [produced by the great Tony Wilson, the geezer who gave ye 'Dio At Donnington 1983/87.']

I am persuaded the 'Melissa' disc is a pure re-release without the compression that seems to have blighted what passes for remasters elsewhere since the sonic quality is superlative.

My pre-amp dial swings deep into hull crushing territory yet the components of the mix simply swell with a distortion-free abandon, including King's vocal which is a completely separate instrument and the piece de reistance - 'Satan's Fall' - continues to press its case in my personal rankings for all time Metal supremacy.

Frustratingly, 'Oath' and 'Abigail' were bought as 1997 Roadrunner remasters and verge on the criminal, audio-wise, any time the crank exceeds the 'Miss Daisy' mark on the amplitude measure.

Yes, compressed to within an inch of their very existences so at volume (where else?) both editions lose all composure and find me muttering over which alternate issue(s) to re-select?

As it happens, I am wondering whether to risk a stab in the dark re the "two from the vault" approach, again for 'Don't Break The Oath/Return Of The Vampire' and 'Fatal Portrait/Abigail,' both being Roadrunner 2003 reissues - hopefully without the bloody awful mastering of 1997.

The same duo deal is available for 'Them/Conspiracy' which again, if not remastered, may be worth a cheeky punt as well.

This 'loudness war' business is an absolute shocker, for the Rock & Metal audiophile. (See similar bleating in fora o'er the remastered vandalism blighting Judea and its venerable Priest.)

22. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Can you post some waveforms fo the vault CDs?

23. heepsterandrey

Trillmeister likes this.
  24. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Heep, sorry but I only have a record deck, a few CD sources and a big amp wired to a variety of variously seismic transduction from which to assess the Metal: all commentary is based on purely subjective impressions (replete with a layman's understanding) and resplendent with precisely zero quantitative qualification whatsoever!

However, I was coincidentally running with the King earlier c/o what else but Melissa?

Most interested in your new CD stash - if these are the original masters re-issued I will be in like Flint. (Big fan of Abigail but my redone edition is vicious so a milder take on that would be bloody great.) :righton: [Vinyl takes always welcome, too.]

heepsterandrey likes this.
  25. heepsterandrey

That's alright man, according to the DR database that Melissa/Beginning twofer isn't very dynamic which leads me to believe that it is indeed the remaster. Asfor that new box set the tracklisting doesn't list The Lake for Fatal Portrait and even the earliest CD pressings (and remasters) have this song included, so perhaps it's truly a new remaster.