The (Hopefully) Ultimate King Diamond/Mercyful Fate Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marblesmike, Nov 28, 2012.

1. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I'm not entirely sure but I think the Mercyful Fate 1997 remasters sound worse than the King Diamond remasters. I also think that the Them remaster is the only one that didn't use any compression, it's got a bit more bass than the original CD but sounds worse to me for some reason. The 2 Disc editions of Melissa and Abigail are even more compressed than the 1997 editions. According the loudness wars database the dynamic range for the Beginning/Melissa set is really bad, implying a remaster.

2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

This is completely strange because using those trusty cauliflower shaped appendages strapped to either side of my noggin, there is nothing less than a stellar, subjective mosh to be had during that pairs' rotation.

3. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

When you say "2 disc editions of Melissa and Abigail," are you referring to their respective "Two from the Vault" reissues, or the CD/DVD reissues from 2005? I have the Melissa edition of the latter, and to me it sounds really good, certainly way better than Don't Break the Oath from 1997 (though I admit that could have more to do with the original production differential). Supposedly the 2005 CD/DVD of Abigail sounds horrid, though, and considering both it and the 2005 Melissa were remastered by one Ted Jensen, maybe I have tin ears.

I remember when listening to music was so simple. Effortless, even. It's become a literal headache.

edit: You were referring to the CD/DVD editions, I think. My reading comprehension is a little screwy today.

Trillmeister likes this.
  4. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Yeah I was referring to the CD/DVD Editions.

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! I WANT....I COMMAND YOU ALL TO SCREEEEEAAAAAM!!!!

[​IMG]

squittolo, johnny q and DDTM like this.
  6. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

Just listened to the Melissa and Don't Break the Oath represses on vinyl. They are official and put out by Metal Blade this year. Oath is on yellow vinyl, Melissa is on red vinyl.

Unless you're some kind of die-hard collector, I would advise against getting these. The sound is flat, sterile and muted. These are two albums you really need to get in their original release vinyl form to appreciate fully.

johnny q likes this.
  7. duse

duse Senior Member

Interesting. I just saw one of the Mercyful Fate records on Friday, along w/ Abigail. I have no idea what happened to my original Abigail. Probably dumped it early 90's when I was buying cds, although I never had it on cd. I wonder what the quality is on those as well? I have a MF vinyl and my original Them still. I always enjoy telling this story. I had a buddy of mine that was driving while listening to Abigail. His car cut off, and he threw the tape out of the window. He was then able to start his car back up. I'm sure that is not true, but a great story!

Josta Voke likes this.
  8. marblesmike

I read on the KD/MF forums that the LPs sound similar to the original pressings. They're reissuing The Eye pretty soon so I'll be checking that out. I already have original pressings of the early MF and KD stuff.

I still want them to remix Them.

rbichamp likes this.
  9. Trillmeister

Absolutely.

Said it before but worth repeating; the '97 re-shoeing of 'Oath is an overtly glassy affair, whereas the sound scape of Melissa from the 'twin Vault' release is almost analogue by comparison; full bodied and dynamic, to the point where 'Satan's Fall' is undoubtedly one of my reference Metal numbers.

If 'Oath sounded similar, it would be much higher in my subconscious ranking because I reckon much of the material is stellar.

Josta Voke likes this.
  10. japc

japc Forum Resident

You mean Two From the Vault. This one: http://www.discogs.com/Mercyful-Fate-Melissa-The-Beginning/release/2419320 ?

I have it, it comes pretty cheap nowadays but don't have anything to compare it to. Isn't it supposed to be remastered (hasn't it lost dynamic and got some clipping? I heard there a worse remaster).

Josta Voke likes this.
  11. Trillmeister

Hi Japc,

Yes that's it and they are remastered; some have been less than flattering re the consequent output but with my gear it sounds more than merely adequate.

One of the qualitative criteria I sometimes impose on a piece of music arises from a lengthy absence away from the same; I'd been existing on a compact cassette copy of the album (LP version) for some time and before that, similarly stored snapshots of the various tracks as played by the BBC 'Friday Rock Show,' from which of course part of the The Beginning arises.

In my head, I may have constructed a certain idea of how a record sounded/should sound and until the first chords ripple out following any such hiatus and for whatever reason, the version of Melissa within this offering, on CD, seems to perfectly suit both my memory and ideal of what period Mercyful Fate did (and should) sound like.

A bit like Dio's Holy Diver (original versions on vinyl and CD,) some albums perfectly key into the 'acoustic aesthetic' of Metal which is about as nebulous a definition as I could muster so apologies but here, all versions of both albums slay (with power [and no small quotient of steel. Sorry, "steeyeeyeyeeeaaalll!"]])

:righton:

12. Josta Voke

So weird that this thread came back to life right when I popped into it last night while trying to find discussion of the Melissa and Don't Break the Oath remasters (again). I've had a change of opinion about my CD/DVD reissue of Melissa, which while not the lacerating affair of the remaster of the succeeding album, definitely has that "squashed" semblance we've all come to loathe. Judging by the data on the Loudness Wars site, there were at least two remasters of Melissa, one for Two from the Vault (2003, which possibly was a 1997 job) and one for the aforementioned CD/DVD (2005). I think that for these Two from the Vault deals in general, there's no rhyme or reason for which versions get used. I find it hard to believe that the version of King Diamond's Them, which I have, has been altered in any way, while Abigail seems to sound much brighter than I remember it from my nights of lying awake as a teenager and letting King narrate me into the wee hours. I have several others of the Two from the Vault series -- Suffocation, Gorguts, Pestilence, and Obituary -- and some sound like remasters, other do not. I think there may have been a very uninvolved volume boost, if anything. To me they all sound good, though I've seen random internet restlessness about this appraisal. Who knows. Apparently whichever versions got used for Melissa and Abigail, however, were again remastered, for the worse, for the ensuing 2005 "anniversary" CD/DVD reissues.

To make a long story short (too late), Two from the Vault's edition of Melissa seems to be superior to the CD/DVD. Ditto Abigail. Don't Break the Oath is still a mystery, but I think I'm gonna order it. I already have the original of the Return of the Vampire compilation, which comprises the other half of the "from the Vault" thing, so I'll be able to compare that as well. (I do not, however, have an original of DBtO.)

Trillmeister likes this.
  13. Josta Voke

Actually if I had to guess, I'd say the Two from the Vault of DBtO is the same remaster as that awful 1997 thing. I don't know that it's been remastered more than once. I'll also note that the others I mentioned above, Obituary, Suffo, et al, according to the Loudness Wars site, pretty much got uniformly taken down in dynamics from originals scores of 10 or 11 or so, to like 7 or 8 -- in all cases save for Testimony of the Ancients (10), which does indeed sound fantastic. I know the dynamic range number isn't always indicative of overall quality, though. I still don't know what happened to DBtO, but it wasn't pretty.

14. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Just go after the original disc I think they sound pretty good. I think my Mellisa is a Megaforce and Oath a Combat just like the records.
    I never felt the need to upgrade.
    I have this crazy what i think is a boot of Nuns on a real pressed cd that contains Nuns and Evil with original Artwork with mini gatefold.
    Nuns sounds like it is took from the vinyl maybe. I have never seen another one although I bought it new at the record store years ago. Who ever pressed this up had to do I would guess
    at lest several 100, its a import.
    I have all the original records and cd's and cassettes for this stuff I think I have a problem :)

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Very timely....I just saw King Diamond in NYC this past Tuesday. He was really, really good! Surprised he did not play "Abigail" though - maybe he is sick of it.

16. marblesmike

I saw him in MD on Monday...very good. His voice really does sound better than ever live. I guess the health kick from the aftermath of his heart surgery has helped.

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Absolutely - he sounded as good if not better than the 1980s.

marblesmike likes this.
  18. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Saw the Worcester, MA show Thursday night. He sounded fantastic. Amazing show!

19. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Listened to a recent podcast interview with the King and apparently he quit smoking as well. His heart surgery sounded horrific.

Driving to Pittsburgh tonight for the show.

20. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

How was the Pittsburgh show?

21. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Very good. Wasn't a huge fan of the venue.

rbichamp likes this.
  22. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

I'm hoping he comes to Australia or at least releases a live blu-ray.

It will be interesting to hear the new remastered best of CD he is putting out, next month I think isn't it ??

23. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Was the sound ok? Hopefully at least the vocals were!

24. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

The sound was great and King sounded excellent. The venue was just very corporate -- new and soulless.

25. marblesmike

Aren't they all? To be fair, usually the newer more 'corporate' venues have the best sound and amenities.