The Horrors - V

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

UK band The Horrors new album - V - out today 22.9

The Horrors: V review – spindly indie survivors hit their sweet spot

Since the shot-out-of-leftfield release of "Primary Colours" took everyone by surprise, they have certainly made an effort to try different sounds on every album.

This one is no exception. Largely electronic (or so it sounds), layers and layers of synths and effects, with the occasional crashing guitar piece. A lively and interesting listen, keeps the ears entertained.

I didn't listen to any of the pre-release tracks, so was surprised with this album.

Their major pop hit is this 6 minute catch...

Someone commented on the YouTube clip about getting "Human League" vibes from it, and its true in more ways than one. The fact that its the albums best track and its last on the album, to me, gives it parallels with Dare and Don't you want me. (Oakey thought it wasn't a hit single, so put it last)

The UK vinyl is pressed at GZVINYL I think :( but its not too bad (they are no longer singed to XL Records). There is no cutting engineer in the deadwax, just the usual trademark machine numbers. Comes with a Sound of Vinyl download card in .WAV format! I like it when that happens. Comparisons between the two still favour the vinyl IMO.

Sleeve is quality throughout, like all their releases really. Shows what happens when the band have input into their finished product.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    e.s. and Neonbeam like this.
  2. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I just got home, waiting for daughter to turn off Paw Patrol and go to bed, and I'm going to take this album in.

Primary Colours and Skying were fabulous, and have several 5-star songs each (Sea Within A Sea, New Ice Age, I Only Think Of You, Mirror's Image, Oceans Burning*, You Said, Dive In).
    Although I did buy it, Luminous didn't tickle me at the time (with exception of First Day of Spring), but I listened again today and it was much better than I remembered.

* There's also a lovely cover by Brett Anderson of this song

Turntable and Neonbeam like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I was planning to get this tomorrow as I really love The Horrors - and Cat's Eyes. Thoroughly enjoyed their support gig for Depeche Mode (even managed to get kicked off a German DM forum within an hour of signing because I ridiculed several DM "fans" that wrote dumb stuff about The Horrors:cheers:) If "V" is anything like that show it's going to be fantastic.

Finally it made sense that Faris introduced one song in Leipzig as being "from our fourth album 'Luminous'!".

No too crazy about GZ though, wonder why they didn't use MPO. Nevermind.

DHamilton and Bryan Harris like this.
  4. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Must say, I took Alexis Petridis very seriously when he gave this high praise in the Guardian. I skipped the last Horrors album for some reason or other, but this combination of producer (Paul Epworth) and band (The Horrors) totally works for me. Can’t even tell you which track I like best, as there are a number of contenders.

5. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Their previous was just OK with me but this one sounds like I need to look into this.

6. Neonbeam

I guess not even The Horrors themselves would call "Luminous" a masterpiece. It's definitely "just ok":uhhuh:

7. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

I have the first 3 Horrors albums plus their debut EP. I really like Primary Colours, they had a surprising change in sound from their debut album (in a good way). Another UK indie band from the same period, Foals, would do the same on their 2nd album Total Life Forever.

I never bought their 4th album Luminous as it's too expensive for a single disc. It's in my basket at Amazon UK, but has been at £9.99 for ages (it's £12 right now).

8. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

After the first listen I'm not super hyped. They moved into a more industrial-dance-synth territory.
    Of course I will listen it a number of times. My favorite is "Skying".
    "Something to Remember Me By" is a very catchy tune.

9. Neonbeam

Just bought it and.. hey... it looks pristine, I never thought I'd say that but GZ have made a terrific job. No dust, no fingerprints!

10. Neonbeam

One spin and it's a nice surprise. The great DM support gig in May didn't give their "new" sound away. But then again they played zero new songs. While "Luminous" felt a bit like treading water, "V" feels like a huuuuge step forward.

Also for GZ Vinyl because this double album looks and sounds great. And it's not even by a high profile band like Dire Straits or The Stones:righton:

Turntable likes this.
  11. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I'm surprised people feel it's a leap forward from the last two albums. To me it sounds like they're doing the same thing only slicker. There's one song on there that's almost an exact replica for a tune on Skying.
    Having said that, I like it. A Lot :righton:

12. CrombyMouse

Which one?

13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

well, exact replica may be too strong a term, but Press Enter To Exit shares a lot with Jealous Sun of Luminous (not Skying, my bad) in terms of atmosphere, build up and what have you. My point was only that V is to me not much better or worse than Skying or Luminous. Which to me is a good thing. YMMV of course

CrombyMouse likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Hmmmm.... sonically "V" differs more from "Luminous" than "Luminous" differed from "Skying". The super glossy gatefold is a perfect metaphor for the content.

Hopefully the album will get a bit of attention.

15. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I agree, I wish The Horrors the festival headlines their music aimes for. May V be their New Gold Dream.

16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I almost did not buy V largely to the last album Luminous - MEH.

but this is brilliant from start to finish. the vocals are firmly planed at the back of the mix and the layering of the dark synth production and music is the star of the show. I think Beaker73 has nailed it - This is the Horrors, New Gold Dream or Disintegration.

btw - I can't agree that this is a GZ pressing - Its not as heavy as any GZ 180 gm vinyl and the outside of the record is cut quite sharp. It was also clean of any scuffs etc, although the premium GZ pressings like the Stones Satanic 50th anniversary is pristine. that said, not sure where it has been pressed other than its not GZ. :D

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I bought 'V' on CD, but have not listened to it yet. I loved 'Skying' & 'Luminous' and still need to buy 'Primary Colours'.
    I remember that one of my favorite Jools Holland shows the past 3 years had The Horrors( playing songs from 'Luminous') and the Afghan Whigs((playing songs from 'Do to the Beast'), so great to have new albums from both of these bands this year. 2017 has been my favorite year for new Music Releases since 1997, as cannot keep up with listening to what I bought yet, and still need to buy the Kasabian release from earlier this year.

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

I already did that. Still need to listen to it though:whistle:

20. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

When Luninous was first out, I was excited based on the singles, but then I’ve just never really enjoyed the album. It’s not horrible, but it just doesn’t do much for me, and it may be one of the albums I’ve put the most effort into trying to enjoy for the least payoff.

But so far, I am enjoying V much more, especially the second half. The vocals are mixed in a way I like better than the vocals on Luminous, and that really helps for me.

21. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Don't delay. It's probably their best album.

TheSeldomSeenKid and Neonbeam like this.
  22. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Absolutely. I must say V didn’t tickle me right yet, and it’s been put away a few weeks now, but after reading the comments here I’ll give it another shot.

23. Neonbeam

Tough to say. All I know is that neither "Strange House" nor "Luminous" are their best albums. I mean.... for a couple of years "Strange House" was their best (aka "only" :whistle:) album but that was years ago.

Need to listen to "V" more.

24. CrombyMouse

I think "Skying" is their best.

25. Neonbeam

The Berlin Gig last night was fantastic, very different to the DM support I saw in May in Leipzig. They did well then but we're visibly more comfortable shrouded in dry ice and in front of an audience that actually knows who they are. (Who wouldn't be, DM fans can be incredibly intolerant traditional :evil:)

It's funny that Faris Badwan - the singer - is now the only Horrors member who still has a RnR look - completely in latex. While the rest now simply looks smart. The new tracks from "V" - absent in Leipzig - worked very well and it was a terrific night.

BTW: The young guy doing the band's merch has to be Faris' younger brother. Which was a nice touch. Only signed cds though. I would have bought "V" all over again on vinyl if it had been signed as well:whistle:

Crazyhorse11 and CrombyMouse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.