"The Hot Zone" on National Geographic Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

This looks pretty good based on the trailer--hope it lives up to the harrowing book!

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If you want to get the 101 on Ebola (which may make you want to watch Hot Zone, or is just as likely to make you dig a very deep hole and hide), check out this blog post from a California EMT. He seems to have his facts in order, and the Dallas case a few years ago was a near miss. The media is completely m.i.a. about what's happening in Congo Raconteur Report: I Dun Tole Ya...

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I read the book years ago and loved it. I'm going to watch all these on the on demand selection .

4. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

I have them all DVR'd and plan to binge watch after I'm done watching Chernobyl.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's not nearly as good as Chernobyl as far as acting, writing, directing, and cinematography goes. Still, it's watchable. Maybe seeing Chernobyl first wasn't fair to it!

6. iworkatinitech

Holy crap is that scary! A friend of mine works near one of the L-IV facilities in this country and I get freaked out whenever we go near it. What's crazy about that guy's (?) blog is that most will just call him a tinfoil hat wearer but just logically the ideas he raises are way too plausible. The idea of how fast infection spreads, as well as how the media hasn't really touched it yet as there's only been 2,800 or so cases at this point is frightening.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Very excited about a science-based reality channel dipping a toe into more factual-oriented docudramatics. Between a show like this, and the two seasons/series of Mars a couple years back, plus Genius (the first season/series dramatizing the life of Einstein), basic cable seems to be deliving on a promise for more intiguing television that goes beyond the sansationalism of the Breaking Bad's and Dog The Bounty Hunter's that usually get the attention.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Well he's an E.M.T. so presumably has some sense of responsibility. Just reviewing his math from an epidimiological standpoint and it seems to be accurate. So he's not just trying to scare people as much as saying 'wake up'. Just take a look at how undercovered the Dallas incident was, and that should have been a red alert.

iworkatinitech likes this.
  9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I did too and loved the book as well. Another great book by Richard Preston is The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812975596/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2
    It's about a hardy group who climbed these giant trees in rainforests along the northern Pacific coast and studied them. It is a fantastic adventure story well told by Preston.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll check it out.

11. I was disappointed how much they dumbed down the science and distorted facts. You could dramatically make it work without changing the facts.

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's really happening in africa again..

13. All one has to do is to look at the 1913 outbreak of the Spanish Flu to truly see that we aren’t any better prepared for these other viruses. Global warming is also going to alter that landscape.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Watching it here.

15. iworkatinitech

Off of memory wasn't there a near miss back in the 1980's or 1990's in Virginia or nearby? Why do I seem to remember reading about that...

Also I completely agree that the fact it's not being reported about how sever the situation is already in Africa is frightening. Our government (as much as most everywhere else in the world) is more equipped to bury their heads in the sand rather than acknowledge the problems the will be faced if even 2 people come back from Africa as hosts...

16. Yes and the ease of spreading it is even easier. I’m glad no one has tried to weaponize this (yet that we know of) but, at some point, they will and our lack of preparedness will just cause it to spread. We are one away from the type of testing done in WWII that the Japanese did to the Koreans and even our own country did on African Americans already infected with syphillis to seeing something like this weaponozed or the lack of an outbreak plan.

17. While I do think his site is a tad alarmist, he’s not wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.