The Human League Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Jan 2, 2019.

1. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

Yeah, no new liner notes, pictures or demo dates - were these recorded for Virgin in 1992 before being dropped or closer to the album sessions in 1994?

Also, no mention of a remaster in the credits though I've not listened yet.

2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

There's a story behind that. And why it's so...well, crap.

I think the idea was okay, just the execution was all wrong. And I believe Phil sees it that way too.

Some of Crash isn't too bad...there's half a decent HL album in there.

EG.

Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  3. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

The only one it was possible to date was These Are The Days; the version released has the line ‘after sixteen years of legalised class hate’ whereas the demo has ‘thirteen years’ – so that must be from 1992!

scobb, Markyp and Eric_Generic like this.
  4. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

What would be the best 1CD compilation in terms of sound and songs selection?

Jagger69 and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I only have the old 88 US Greatest Hits which sounds fine. There is a 95 which includes Oakey/Moroder Together In Electric Dreams from the Soundtrack. I have the old Electric Dreams ST on cd so I never checked out the 95.

6. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I didn't like the sound on the 88 Greatest Hits...too much difference in volume and SQ between eras. Which might not have been such an issue with chronological order, but they decided to mix it up and have 1981 tracks next to Jam & Lewis 1986 ones. Didn't ever get the 95 version, while 2003's Very Best was more satisfying in terms of content (adding Heart Like A Wheel, Tell Me When etc) but some people aren't fans of the mastering.

EG.

Pouchkine and c-eling like this.
  7. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

Something most people won’t know is one of the babies is Noddy Holders. not sure which one probably the loudest

8. LesMcQueen

They should have added sideburns to his so he/she would stand-out.

scobb and BlueSpeedway like this.
  9. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

lol, that’s probably the entire Slade fanclub now.

10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Review of Hysteria from Record Mirror in May 1984.

[​IMG]

11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Generous! She's right about the sound having an underproduced feel to it, even if the band paradoxically strangled all the life out of the material in the studio.

1983-84 is my favourite era of the League. It's just not represented very well on any album.

EG.

pwhytey, gja586, Jagger69 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

I only know the singles of the Human League. Now I want to explore their albums. I have read in this thread that "Dare" is a good album. Can someone recommend a good sounding CD version of this album.

Nobody mentioned this compilation : The Human League - A Very British Synthesizer Group

Is this a bad compilation-album ?

Eric_Generic and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

negative1, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It's pretty good...aside from a few random instrumental or alternate versions thrown in, but then its remit is to be a collection rather than a proper/definitive Greatest Hits. The 2-disc has some nice edits which are useful for iTunes playlists and the like.

EG.

Jagger69 likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I've owned so many versions, I forget which sound the best but the worst was definitely the 2001 remaster. Mind you, Dare will never truly sound bad, as it's a classic.

EG.

Jarleboy, c-eling and Jagger69 like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

17. LesMcQueen

So what would be your 83-84 dream album?

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I made a "Directors Cut" of Hysteria last year, incorporating the orphan singles from late 82/83 and replacing some of the album tracks with B-sides. Then rejigged the track order:

01 The Lebanon
    02 The World Tonight
    03 Betrayed
    04 Life On Your Own
    05 Louise
    06 I'm Coming Back
    07 Mirror Man
    08 I Love You Too Much
    09 (Keep Feeling) Fascination
    10 The Sign
    11 Thirteen

I listen to this as my go-to League CD nowadays!

EG.

Yost, Jagger69, BlueSpeedway and 5 others like this.
  19. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I hope that's the version of I Love You Too Much from the Fascination EP rather than the lumpen Hysteria version?

Jagger69 and pwhytey like this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It is! :agree:

EG.

Jagger69 and BigManRestless like this.
  21. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I LOVE this! It's exactly what Hysteria should've been!

I regard myself as a big Human League fan, although in reality I don't like anything they released after 1984. I can't bear 'Human', 'Heart Like A Wheel' or 'Tell Me When' — I think they're all horrible singles, and Crash is unlistenable. They lost their way with Hysteria and never recovered, IMO.

But when the League got it right, they were untouchable. 'The Sound of the Crowd' and '(Keep Feeling) Fascination' are two of my favourite singles of the 80s, and Dare is a masterpiece. I enjoy Reproduction and Travelogue, but they're also a bit frustrating. It's the sound of a band trying to find itself.

22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I think the thing to do with Hysteria is not to buy/listen to it for 34 years like I did. Then the pressure for you to like it/compare it unfavourably to Dare isn’t so great.:D

I agree about Crash, BTW. I don’t mind Human, but the rest of it is a real struggle. Presumably it is composed almost entirely of songs rescued from Janet Jackson’s dustbin.

Eric_Generic and pwhytey like this.
  23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:laugh:

I don't mind Hysteria as it is...it's an average record in that form, with some ace singles (I will never not love The Lebanon). Crash is a fantastically-produced album of so-so material...two excellent HL-style tracks, and one classic Jam & Lewis tune. Then some filler in differing degrees of awkwardness.

Played the new remaster of Octopus last week and it sounded surprisingly good.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. LesMcQueen

I wonder if deluxe issues of Hysteria (and to a lesser degree Crash and Romantic?) would shine a kinder light on the respective eras. They don't strike me as a band that threw away songs completely at demo stage but all three of those albums had long gestation periods and changes of personnel/producer so there may yet be rough gems in the vaults.

Eric_Generic likes this.